In major change, college athletes set to be paid directly by schools

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Looks like their finally going to erase 150 years of tradition and turn college athletes into pros.
Amateur means nothing anymore~

The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.

The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

If schools profit from their athletes, these athletes deserve to share in these profits.

They already get scholaships, housing, food, medical, travel, jobs and millions from boosters and whatever “NIL money“ is. It was already made legal Last year. $2mil payments for a hot player to transfer schools is common. Deion took in 75+ paid mercenaries to COL. Sent 76+ existing COL players packing, even scholarship athletes.

Perhaps removing sports from many colleges would be the prudent thing. We need education. It may happen anyway with some conferences getting most of the money.

They got a scholarship....that ain't cheap

Okay what about some spending money? I wrestled in college one year. 6am run. 11am wrestle round for an hour. 5pm 2.5 hour practice. 4 days a week. Imagine just doing that. Imagine getting up at 5am to get to that 6am run. Then have to go up to the mat to wrestle for an hour. Then run off to other classes, and study halls, and what about dinner? I don't think you understand what is required of a college athlete.

You are asking them to

A. Go to School full time
B. Play a sport
C. Get a job so you have some money in your pocket

Playing in college is a full time job. Fall and Spring 17 weeks.

$6800. A college athlete should get a full ride and $6800 or $400 a week. While you are in school.

I only got $1500 a year and it cost $5000 a year to go to school. I quit wrestling and got a job and got to go to parties and get laid. Best thing I ever did was quit. Wrestling got me into college. It served its purpose.

Looks like their finally going to erase 150 years of tradition and turn college athletes into pros.
Amateur means nothing anymore~

The NCAA and its five power conferences have agreed to allow schools to directly pay players for the first time in the 100-plus-year history of college sports.
The NCAA and its leagues are moving forward with a multibillion-dollar agreement to settle three pending federal antitrust cases. The NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources told ESPN. Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.

I'm torn on this one. I understand the position you're coming from, but in the same respect the universities and the NCAA make millions off of these guys and while a free education is something, many of them are worth far more and not all of them go on to have a career in the pros.

I'm torn on this one. I understand the position you're coming from, but in the same respect the universities and the NCAA make millions off of these guys and while a free education is something, many of them are worth far more and not all of them go on to have a career in the pros.
$40 a week would have been enough. Instead I had to do night watchman in my dorm from 10am to 2am 3 nights a week. Two of those nights I had to show up for morning runs at 6am. I couldn't do it all. I'm sure the coach would have rather give me $40 but it was illegal back then.

They already get scholaships, housing, food, medical, travel, jobs and millions from boosters and whatever “NIL money“ is. It was already made legal Last year. $2mil payments for a hot player to transfer schools is common. Deion took in 75+ paid mercenaries to COL. Sent 76+ existing COL players packing, even scholarship athletes.
There are still a lot of issues to figure out. Title IX is going to be a big obstacle here. If players need to be paid, teachers best forget about getting raises. There are a lot of unintended consequences that may result from this. Recruiting was never supposed to be about "how much are you going to pay me" (even though we know it's happened quite a bit). Will there be caps on payments? Will there need to be a reduction in scholarships (more towards football and their 85 guys)? How do the "non-revenue" sports handle this? Still a lot of questions unanswered.

From NPR:

"Each school will be allowed to distribute up to around $20 million to its athletes, an amount based on a percentage of the average revenue earned annually by the power conference programs. That percentage begins at 22 percent and could go up over time. It's expected that other schools, those outside the Power 5 conferences, will be able to opt in."

Colleges will have a $20M payroll to pay athletes. It will be possible that a kid in Composition 101 will be making more than his professor.

Unbelievable.

Why don't they do it for high school athletes as well?

I played high school football, and would have loved to get a nice salary while I was playing.

Forum List

Back