Origin of life - simplest possible form of life.

Newtonian

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2020
I found one older thread relevant to this - which I bumped/posted on (by ChemEngineer).

This subject is a huge subject of study - it will be hard to post all of the relevant details let alone document the experiments and what they prove (1 Thess. 5:21 - "prove all things" - KJV)

For starters, I will link to 2 of our brochures on this subject and invite you all to comment on any point therein - or any other point relevant to the origin of life:

Starting with our brochure entitled "Origin of Life - five questions worth asking: -

Second - our brochure entitled "Was Life Created?" -

I'll start off with one point from the first brochure:

"What do many scientists claim? Many who believe in evolution would tell you that billions of years ago, life began on the edge of an ancient tidal pool or deep in the ocean. They feel that in some such location, chemicals spontaneously assembled into bubblelike structures, formed complex molecules, and began replicating. They believe that all life on earth originated by accident from one or more of these “simple” original cells.

Other equally respected scientists who also support evolution disagree. They speculate that the first cells or at least their major components arrived on earth from outer space. Why? Because, despite their best efforts, scientists have been unable to prove that life can spring from nonliving molecules. In 2008, Professor of Biology Alexandre Meinesz highlighted the dilemma. He stated that over the last 50 years, “no empirical evidence supports the hypotheses of the spontaneous appearance of life on Earth from nothing but a molecular soup, and no significant advance in scientific knowledge leads in this direction.”1

Reference 1:

How Life Began—Evolution’s Three Geneses, by Alexandre Meinesz, translated by Daniel Simberloff, 2008, pp. 30-33, 45.

So, what do you all think about the evidence scientists have discovered? Feel free to post links - I love doing research!

I found one older thread relevant to this - which I bumped/posted on (by ChemEngineer).

This subject is a huge subject of study - it will be hard to post all of the relevant details let alone document the experiments and what they prove (1 Thess. 5:21 - "prove all things" - KJV)

For starters, I will link to 2 of our brochures on this subject and invite you all to comment on any point therein - or any other point relevant to the origin of life:

Starting with our brochure entitled "Origin of Life - five questions worth asking: -

"What do many scientists claim? Many who believe in evolution would tell you that billions of years ago, life began on the edge of an ancient tidal pool or deep in the ocean. They feel that in some such location, chemicals spontaneously assembled into bubblelike structures, formed complex molecules, and began replicating. They believe that all life on earth originated by accident from one or more of these “simple” original cells.

Other equally respected scientists who also support evolution disagree. They speculate that the first cells or at least their major components arrived on earth from outer space. Why? Because, despite their best efforts, scientists have been unable to prove that life can spring from nonliving molecules. In 2008, Professor of Biology Alexandre Meinesz highlighted the dilemma. He stated that over the last 50 years, “no empirical evidence supports the hypotheses of the spontaneous appearance of life on Earth from nothing but a molecular soup, and no significant advance in scientific knowledge leads in this direction.”1

Reference 1:

How Life Began—Evolution’s Three Geneses, by Alexandre Meinesz, translated by Daniel Simberloff, 2008, pp. 30-33, 45.

So, what do you all think about the evidence scientists have discovered? Feel free to post links - I love doing research!
The simplest possible form of life in these times appears to be the liberal. Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

Reference 1:

That is one of the fundamental reasons I believe in A God. I have never seen any evidence that life can spring forth spontaneously from a gob of sea foam. If scientists believe that, then go into a lab and create it.

Reference 1:

What was it you did not understand about the Lord God creating man from as fine particles of earth but in his image? It doesn't say HOW God did it, and somehow that he waved a magic wand and produced a man just doesn't conform to the creation of a man. We are a miracle in this world, and we're supposed to be good stewards over all the animals of the earth. Checking out the pictures I've seen of thousands of square miles of ocean covered in plastics, we somehow haven't respected the job we were given, and in fact, numerous species of whales are waning because of our neglect of the open oceans that got littered with the plastics du jour.

Eden was a paradise. These pictures are inconsistent with makind's obligation to be good stewards of the earth:

1588987439360.png
1588987477346.png

1588987559974.png
1588987653224.png

We must act or many of our sister and brother creatures will die in our delinquent neglect to pick up after ourselves.

Ocean map of plastic goo:
1588987894088.png

Last edited:

Reference 1:

What was it you did not understand about the Lord God creating man from as fine particles of earth but in his image? It doesn't say HOW God did it, and somehow that he waved a magic wand and produced a man just doesn't conform to the creation of a man. We are a miracle in this world, and we're supposed to be good stewards over all the animals of the earth. Checking out the pictures I've seen of thousands of square miles of ocean covered in plastics, we somehow haven't respected the job we were given, and in fact, numerous species of whales are waning because of our neglect of the open oceans that got littered with the plastics du jour.
Nice post, beautress. Thank you.

Reference 1:

The simplest possible form of life in these times appears to be the liberal. Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
Thanks for the laugh. Funny and true. And liberals never seem to evolve

Reference 1:

You too - and have a wonderful night as well!

Reference 1:

You too - and have a wonderful night as well!
Thanks!

Reference 1:

Thanks for the laugh. Funny and true. And liberals never seem to evolve
You're quite welcome.

Reference 1:

That is one of the fundamental reasons I believe in A God. I have never seen any evidence that life can spring forth spontaneously from a gob of sea foam. If scientists believe that, then go into a lab and create it.
The complexity of each and every creature is proof of a CREATION. If anti-Gods dont understand that, there is nothing to be gained by arguing with fools.

Reference 1:

The pollution of the oceans should offend all of us and should be a top priority to clean up. And to stop India and China from using the oceans for their dumping ground.

S

Reference 1:

So true - and man is destroying many forms of life I believe we are near the tipping point and that our Creator will soon destroy those who are destroying the earth as foretold in Revelation 11:18. Yes, we are supposed to have all the animals in loving subjection as directed by Jehovah in Genesis 1:28. There is much in our literature about the environment:

"“Over 46,000 pieces of plastic litter are floating on every square mile of ocean today.”—UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME."

“Sea creatures across the globe are being poisoned by tiny plastic pellets floating in the ocean,” reports New Scientist magazine. Chemical companies ship polymers in the shape of small pellets to manufacturers around the world that melt them and then mold them into plastic products. However, thousands of tons of these pellets pass into the sea from factory or city waste as well as from cargo that ships lose or jettison. Researchers from the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology in Japan found that the pellets contain high concentrations of toxic chemicals that they absorb from the seawater—chemicals that damage animals’ immunity, fertility, and hormonal systems. Birds, fish, and turtles eat the pellets, mistaking them for fish eggs or other food, so there are worrisome repercussions for the extended food chain."

A plastic bag floating in the ocean

The importation, manufacture, and use of plastic bags have been banned in order to protect the lives of marine and land animals, which can die after ingesting them. The government is promoting the use of biodegradable alternatives instead.

Reference 1:

The complexity of each and every creature is proof of a CREATION. If anti-Gods dont understand that, there is nothing to be gained by arguing with fools.

True.

But I do gain insight when researching matters compared with what some posters post.

I try to discuss actual evidence rather that debate or argue - but some posters make that difficult!

Sometimes I just ignore and post further evidence on whatever topic is being discussed.

Reference 1:

The pollution of the oceans should offend all of us and should be a top priority to clean up. And to stop India and China from using the oceans for their dumping ground.
I read a few months ago that President Trump would like to do a little tidying up in the oceans. I hope he is able to carry out his plans I read about, and that he will bring about blue waters on planet earth again. It would be even kinder if I got to see it happen in my lifetime. I'm a little up in years, but I plan to live to be a hundred, so maybe we'll see clean, blue waters again before my 100th birthday, which seems a long time hence.

Good night everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the origins of life. What's important is how we spend our lives on, and I'd love to participate in the ocean's cleanup before I go. :huddle: But if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take, and I hope one of you will have the youth and vigor to carry on this important task confronting our generation. Maybe it would help if we understand that the world's poorest people often live in a tsunami-ridden coast that swallows many people up from time to time, and that we really do need to review all the places in seas and oceans that require our stewardship. I hope one of you becomes more famous that Jacques Cousteau in this task, and I beg your dear pardon for my hyjacking this thread to a different purpose. :spinner::sleep:

Reference 1:

I read a few months ago that President Trump would like to do a little tidying up in the oceans. I hope he is able to carry out his plans I read about, and that he will bring about blue waters on planet earth again. It would be even kinder if I got to see it happen in my lifetime. I'm a little up in years, but I plan to live to be a hundred, so maybe we'll see clean, blue waters again before my 100th birthday, which seems a long time hence.

Good night everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the origins of life. What's important is how we spend our lives on, and I'd love to participate in the ocean's cleanup before I go. :huddle: But if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take, and I hope one of you will have the youth and vigor to carry on this important task confronting our generation. Maybe it would help if we understand that the world's poorest people often live in a tsunami-ridden coast that swallows many people up from time to time, and that we really do need to review all the places in seas and oceans that require our stewardship. I hope one of you becomes more famous that Jacques Cousteau in this task, and I beg your dear pardon for my hyjacking this thread to a different purpose. :spinner::sleep:

Well, a beautiful hijack! No problem with me! I live in SE Louisiana in the rurals - recycling is hard here. People would rather burn than compost despite the fact that burning adds CO2 while composting makes top soil! My wife and I are organic gardeners - but we are older now as well.

I think you might find this prophecy about the earth comforting -
when God's will is done on earth as in heaven (Matthew 6:9,10)

Isaiah 11:7-9
The cow and the bear will feed together,
And their young will lie down together.
The lion will eat straw like the bull.+
8 The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra,
And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.
9 They will not cause any harm+
Or any ruin in all my holy mountain,+
Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah
As the waters cover the sea.+

Have a good night as well!

Reference 1:

You repeat a series of falsehoods and errors that are common among those who have an agenda to vilify science. Firstly, you need to understand that abiogenesis and biological evolution are different subjects. Biological evolution does not address the beginning of life.

There is no requirement for "belief" in biological evolution. The fossil evidence as it exists along with the supporting disciplines of biology, chemistry, earth science, etc., have been fully adequate to convince generation after generation of paleontologists of the reality of biological evolution, and stands as a major line of evidence for the theory of common descent. Anti-evolutionary critics (almost exclusively fundamentalist Christians), should take some time to explain why this should be so, given that paleontologists and biologists subscribe to many different religious beliefs.

So pragmatically, one is led to ask the question, when will the evidence be provided in a comprehensive way for a reliable conclusion of one or more gods to be drawn? Quite clearly, we are surrounded with tangible examples of where even our imperfect understanding of objective reality has been sufficient for science to revolutionize our world. Science has proven to be, beyond all competition, the single most successful, pervasive and impactful human endeavor in all of history. In contrast, claims to gawds is essentially useless for the any practical purpose of understanding what is true.

Reference 1:

You repeat a series of falsehoods and errors that are common among those who have an agenda to vilify science. Firstly, you need to understand that abiogenesis and biological evolution are different subjects. Biological evolution does not address the beginning of life.

There is no requirement for "belief" in biological evolution. The fossil evidence as it exists along with the supporting disciplines of biology, chemistry, earth science, etc., have been fully adequate to convince generation after generation of paleontologists of the reality of biological evolution, and stands as a major line of evidence for the theory of common descent. Anti-evolutionary critics (almost exclusively fundamentalist Christians), should take some time to explain why this should be so, given that paleontologists and biologists subscribe to many different religious beliefs.

So pragmatically, one is led to ask the question, when will the evidence be provided in a comprehensive way for a reliable conclusion of one or more gods to be drawn? Quite clearly, we are surrounded with tangible examples of where even our imperfect understanding of objective reality has been sufficient for science to revolutionize our world. Science has proven to be, beyond all competition, the single most successful, pervasive and impactful human endeavor in all of history. In contrast, claims to gawds is essentially useless for the any practical purpose of understanding what is true.

Holie - thank you getting us back on topic - however, as usual, you provide no documentation for your assertions. For example, you imply I do not understand the difference between abiogenesis (chemical evolution) and Darwinian (biological) evolution. However, you seem to not know the difference between micro-evolution (which is a fact) and macro-evolution (which is false speculation).
The fossil record proves micro-evolution as do more recent scientific discoveries (e.g. epigenetics). The fossil record runs contrary to both the phenomenon of Equilibrium (variation about a mean) which Dobzhansky observed in his studies of radiation induced mutations in fruit flies and also the fossil record.

Why do you think Gould, with his punctuated equilibrium model of evolution, called this macro-evolution (the fossil record proves the equilibrium part but not Gould's theory of the cause of the punctuation).

Abiogenesis and chemical evolution is on topic - the other points you bring up are really off topic- albeit interesting.

Would you believe I disagree with many of your conclusions? One reason is your lack of documentation - notice in contrast the documentation (bibliography) in the 2 brochures I linked to in OP.

Reference 1:

Holie - thank you getting us back on topic - however, as usual, you provide no documentation for your assertions. For example, you imply I do not understand the difference between abiogenesis (chemical evolution) and Darwinian (biological) evolution. However, you seem to not know the difference between micro-evolution (which is a fact) and macro-evolution (which is false speculation).
The fossil record proves micro-evolution as do more recent scientific discoveries (e.g. epigenetics). The fossil record runs contrary to both the phenomenon of Equilibrium (variation about a mean) which Dobzhansky observed in his studies of radiation induced mutations in fruit flies and also the fossil record.

Why do you think Gould, with his punctuated equilibrium model of evolution, called this macro-evolution (the fossil record proves the equilibrium part but not Gould's theory of the cause of the punctuation).

Abiogenesis and chemical evolution is on topic - the other points you bring up are really off topic- albeit interesting.

Would you believe I disagree with many of your conclusions? One reason is your lack of documentation - notice in contrast the documentation (bibliography) in the 2 brochures I linked to in OP.
I'm afraid you provide no supporting documentation for your opinions. My assertions about biological evolution derive from the sciences of paleontology, anthropology, geology, oceanography, physics, archaeology, and other branches of science that conflict with the Bible. If you have evidence for the existence of the Gods, evidence of the Gods creating humans 6,000 years ago, evidence of any Biblical miracles, please present that evidence.

We discriminate between ideas based on evidence and reason. There are a certain number of ideas in science in which we have such overwhelming evidence that confidence is of the highest attainable level. Biological evolution is one of those ideas. There will always be a significant number of people who for religious or philosophical reasons reject that idea. But there is a reason the argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy, because it tells us nothing about what is actually true.

I noted that you continue to be confused about terms such as abiogenesis (the beginning of biological life) and Darwinian (biological) evolution because your earlier post made no distinction between those two processes. As I noted previously, you confuse macro-evolution with speciation which has abundant evidence.

Here is some reference material yo better help you understand Dobzhansky's work.

2.2 The Biological Species Concept

Over the last few decades the theoretically preeminent species definition has been the biological species concept (BSC). This concept defines a species as a reproductive community.

2.2.1 History of the Biological Species Concept

The BSC has undergone a number of changes over the years. The earliest precursor that I could find was in Du Rietz 1930. Du Rietz defined a species as

"... the smallest natural populations permanently separated from each other by a distinct discontinuity in the series of biotypes."
Barriers to interbreeding are implicit in this definition and explicit in Du Rietz's dicussion of it.
A few years later, Dobzhansky defined a species as

"... that stage of evolutionary progress at which the once actually or potentially interbreeding array of forms becomes segregated into two or more separate arrays which are physiologically incapable of interbreeding." (Dobzhansky 1937)

It is important to note that this is a highly restrictive definition of species. It emphasizes experimental approaches and ignores what goes on in nature. By the publication of the third edition of the book this appeared in, Dobzhansky (1951) had relaxed this definition to the point that is substantially agreed with Mayr's.

The definition of a species that is accepted as the BSC was promulgated by Mayr (1942). He defined species as

"... groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations which are reproductively isolated from other such groups."

Note that the emphasis in this definition is on what happens in nature. Mayr later amended this definition to include an ecological component. In this form of the definition a species is

"... a reproductive community of populations (reproductively isolated from others) that occupies a specific niche in nature."

The BSC is most strongly accepted among vertebrate zoologists and entomologists. Two facts account for this. First, these are the groups that the authors of the BSC worked with :). (Note: Mayr is an ornithologist and Dobzhansky worked extensively with Drosophila). More importantly, obligate sexuality is the predominant form of reproduction in these groups. It is not coincidental that the BSC is less widely accepted among botanists. Terrestrial plants exhibit much greater diversity in their "mode of reproduction" than do vertebrates and insects.

Regarding Gould and theory of Punctuated Equilibria, Let's go to the source, shall we?

"Evolution as Fact and Theory"
, originally published in 1981:

[T]ransitions are often found in the fossil record. Preserved transitions are not common -- and should not be, according to our understanding of evolution (see next section) but they are not entirely wanting, as creationists often claim. [He then discusses two examples: therapsid intermediaries between reptiles and mammals, and the half-dozen human species - found as of 1981 - that appear in an unbroken temporal sequence of progressively more modern features.]
Faced with these facts of evolution and the philosophical bankruptcy of their own position, creationists rely upon distortion and innuendo to buttress their rhetorical claim. If I sound sharp or bitter, indeed I am -- for I have become a major target of these practices.
I count myself among the evolutionists who argue for a jerky, or episodic, rather than a smoothly gradual, pace of change. In 1972 my colleague Niles Eldredge and I developed the theory of punctuated equilibrium. We argued that two outstanding facts of the fossil record -- geologically "sudden" origin of new species and failure to change thereafter (stasis) -- reflect the predictions of evolutionary theory, not the imperfections of the fossil record. In most theories, small isolated populations are the source of new species, and the process of speciation takes thousands or tens of thousands of years. This amount of time, so long when measured against our lives, is a geological microsecond . . .
Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists -- whether through design or stupidity, I do not know -- as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups.
- Gould, Stephen Jay 1983. "Evolution as Fact and Theory" in Hens Teeth and Horse's Toes: Further Reflections in Natural History. New York: W. W. Norton & Co., p. 258-260.

I'm afraid your charge of "lack of documentation" is quite obviously false. On the other hand, I've consistently asked the creationists for their General Theory of Supernatural Creation, but alas, that hasn't happened.

Forum List

Back