Oregon Labor Union Wants Voters to Limit Grocers to Two Self-Checkout Stations Per Store

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
What a bunch of clowns, they wanted a higher minimum wage and they got it

I swear the left wants to drag us back into the 1770's

What's next outlawing the computer?

The wheel?

Oregon Labor Union Wants Voters to Limit Grocers to Two Self-Checkout Stations Per Store

By Kelsey Harnisch |
Published September 4 at 8:07 PM
Updated September 4 at 8:07 PM

Oregonians rarely pump their own gas. One of the state's most powerful labor unions wants to make sure they don't bag their own groceries.

A ballot initiative petition headed to the Oregon Attorney General's Office would limit the number of self-checkout stations to two per store.

The Oregon AFL-CIO labor union will be submitting "The Grocery Store Service and Community Protection Act" to the attorney general for approval Thursday. From there, the union would need to gather 112,020 signatures for it to be added .

The proposed ballot initiative would ask voters to require grocers to employ human checkers, not robots.

"The widescale use of self-checkout machines in our state's grocery stores is part of a deliberate corporate strategy that relies on automation to reduce labor costs and eliminate jobs," Oregon AFL-CIO President Tom Chamberlain said in a statement.

The authors of the initiative petition cite several reasons automated checkout machines are a detriment to Oregon communities, including contributing to social isolation, eliminating jobs and disproportionately impacting people of color.

"Because people of color are overrepresented in cashier position, which is the lowest paid position in retail businesses, the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color," states the act.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

Oregonians rarely pump their own gas. One of the state's most powerful labor unions wants to make sure they don't bag their own groceries.

A ballot initiative petition headed to the Oregon Attorney General's Office would limit the number of self-checkout stations to two per store.

The Oregon AFL-CIO labor union will be submitting "The Grocery Store Service and Community Protection Act" to the attorney general for approval Thursday. From there, the union would need to gather 112,020 signatures for it to be added .

The proposed ballot initiative would ask voters to require grocers to employ human checkers, not robots.

"The widescale use of self-checkout machines in our state's grocery stores is part of a deliberate corporate strategy that relies on automation to reduce labor costs and eliminate jobs," Oregon AFL-CIO President Tom Chamberlain said in a statement.

The authors of the initiative petition cite several reasons automated checkout machines are a detriment to Oregon communities, including contributing to social isolation, eliminating jobs and disproportionately impacting people of color.

"Because people of color are overrepresented in cashier position, which is the lowest paid position in retail businesses, the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color," states the act.
Automation at its finest

Local WallyWorld used to have 15 registers, 2 self checkout lanes.

hadn't gone in in a while, and needed a few items not available anywhere else in town, so I went in.

now there are 2 lanes with cashiers, the rest are self checkout.

I'm not being paid to cashier, so I get in the long lanes with cashiers.

Same as I do at any other store with self checkout.

shame I can't do the same at the gas station

hadn't gone in in a while, and needed a few items not available anywhere else in town, so I went in.

Over at the Wal Mart I go to, it's pretty much the same. The aisle where you can buy tobacco products is manned, and usually only 1 other lane has a checkout person. The rest are all self checkout.

I thought that these big corporations were supposed to use their tax breaks to hire more people, not automate their stores and cause people to lose jobs.

Let stores do what they want and let customers choose which one they like the best.

And the cashiers nowadays at Wallyworld are slower than molasses.

And the cashiers nowadays at Wallyworld are slower than molasses.
All that does is create demand for competition

The labor union is free to start their own grocery store...…..I'm sure they'll be very profitable.

In Ore-be-gone, flipping burgers, mixing coffee drinks, bagging groceries, and filling gas tanks is a carrier to be proud of. Got to feed those angry antifa clowns, apparently their parents and Soros are getting tired of it:)

I live in a red right to work state, automated checkout stations are very common.

If I only have a few items, I use the self service checkout at Walmart.

Just a lot quicker, and less waiting.

As far as Big Labor's move to ban self-checkout-- I'm not surprised at all. Back in the 1980's, I worked briefly for a unionized grocery store. The union magazine was railing against Scanning Technology and the amount of jobs it would cost the economy if every item didn't have a price sticker.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

But do we hear these leftist loudmouths praising President Trump, for lowering unemployment among blacks, Hispanics, and disabled people to their lowest levels in US history ?

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

But do we hear these leftist loudmouths praising President Trump, for lowering unemployment among blacks, Hispanics, and disabled people to their lowest levels in US history ?

There are a lot of black guys out there that have been out of work , looking for a job for 30 or 40 years, and they are finally back to work under the Trumpster.

They are going to remember this, it will be interesting to see whether they vote to keep their jobs.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

Imagine how wonderful America would be without a bunch of liberal assholes in it.

Over at the Wal Mart I go to, it's pretty much the same. The aisle where you can buy tobacco products is manned, and usually only 1 other lane has a checkout person. The rest are all self checkout.

I thought that these big corporations were supposed to use their tax breaks to hire more people, not automate their stores and cause people to lose jobs.

Who the hell shops at Walmart? You want service go to a mom and pop, you'll pay a little more and get a great shopping experience. To hell with big box stores.

Local Kroger has many robotic checkouts but normally I find only two normal checkouts open. Each staffed by an environmental whacko who lectures shoppers when they dare bring their own plastic bags (available cheap by the thousand online). Fortunately there is a Safeway just across the street. Pay a little more but deal with less bullshit.

Forum List

Back