Union wants students to self-teach

Bad teachers and bad police officers are fired all the time. Teacher's unions don't get just get what they want because they "propose" it. Unions and district and state ed offices butt heads all the time. The mere mention of some proposal can be sensationalized to get clicks and eyeballs, which is all the media cares about.
Agree, except for this part (sorta):

"Bad teachers and bad police officers are fired all the time."

JMO, but not every bad teacher or cop gets fired, in part because the politicians that get big money from the PUs have passed legislation to make it more difficult to prosecute the bad apples. And in some cases, those bad apples make the majority of the others look very bad indeed. And I would venture to say that as a result there is less deterrence to misconduct because the rank and file know their union will protect them from the consequences of any misconduct.

So - yeah, bad teachers and cops do get fired, if their offense is egregious enough and made public. But my guess is that too many bad teachers and cops are not getting fired; some get put on some sort of admin duty, some get a slap on the wrist, and some get nothing consequential at all. For every case of child molestation by a teacher or school employee that makes the news cycle, how many cases never see the light of day? How many kids say nothing out of fear or embarrassment, or whatever. I think that is a problem that will not go away or at least be reduced significantly until we do a better job of managing PU employees.

I don't know if many people on this forum can be fair and reasonable about this topic. We shall see.

First, I'm a public school teacher but I DO NOT belong to the NEA and have not for years. I'm a conservative and Christian. I am also a 27 yr teacher veteran and love my job.

Frankly, teachers are expected to do too much these days. I'm not talking about the teaching. That's a given. Every social ill, every shortfall of the community--put it in the schools. We feed children 2/3 meals a day. We clothe them. We give them health care. We see to behavioral needs, emotional needs. We do family counseling.

It's just too much. And the public is not like they were years ago. They do not 'support' the schools. There's no teamwork. It's adversarial.

So the proof is in the pudding. Fewer and fewer people will do this job. I know a lot of people here celebrate that. But think about--really THINK about--what comes after public schools. Will some kids be unschooled? What do you think teen gangs with no school to go to is going to do for our society?

But we just don't think ahead. Really easy to whine. Not so easy to come up with solutions.

No doubt, there are some good teachers out there. Unfortunately, they don't get much say in the actions of unions and/or administrations.

Forum List

Back