Oregon imposes gag order on Christian bakers in gay wedding case

The Christian business was targeted to test the new law.

And to make an example of them for intimidation purposes. Its crystal clear that the State is saying they will bully you, slap a gag order on you, and try to destroy you financially if you dare disagree with their world view.
Society has rules, obey them or face the consequences...

LOL. When are you going to demand immigration laws be enforced?
They already are, just not at the level you want, which would crash the economy, raise taxes hugely, and require the confiscation of hundreds of miles of private property at the border. When are you going to start thinking like an adult?
Oh my. You're worse than chicken little.
Nope. I've looked into it, you not so much. What it takes to deport 11 million or so people is not for the faint of heart. Check it out, start here: Deporting 11 Million People Could Cost 400-600 Billion Study Finds - The Atlantic

The baker is a republican.

Prove it. I can prove the commissioner is a democrat.

I've seen a picture of him on the golf course wearing pale yellow polyester pants.....
This is what lefties do when they have no argument.

It's a public accommodation law, the best you can do is challenge the law. The couple broke the law. The pain and suffering part I question. But the law is the law.

And to make an example of them for intimidation purposes. Its crystal clear that the State is saying they will bully you, slap a gag order on you, and try to destroy you financially if you dare disagree with their world view.

They already are, just not at the level you want, which would crash the economy, raise taxes hugely, and require the confiscation of hundreds of miles of private property at the border. When are you going to start thinking like an adult?
Nope. I've looked into it, you not so much. What it takes to deport 11 million or so people is not for the faint of heart. Check it out: Deporting 11 Million People Could Cost 400-600 Billion Study Finds - The Atlantic
Oh, for sure. I also read in a newspaper about global warming or was it climate change. I also read in a newspaper back in the 70s that an ice age would destroy civilization as we know it by now. You believe everything you read in the newspaper?

The baker is a republican.

Prove it. I can prove the commissioner is a democrat.

I've seen a picture of him on the golf course wearing pale yellow polyester pants.....
This is what lefties do when they have no argument.

It's a public accommodation law, the best you can do is challenge the law. The couple broke the law. The pain and suffering part I question. But the law is the law.
The law violates the Constitution. It's being challenged, this isn't over yet.

Well well, Squashing the rights of the people seems to be the order in the state of Oregon. AND you sit and say NOTHING. and others start threads Cheering it

SNIP:
By Dan Calabrese -- Bio and Archives July 3, 2015

calabrese070315-2.jpg
I don’t know if you’ve followed the case of Sweet Cakes by Melissa. This is the now-closed bakery in Oregon that has become a target of state officials because its Christian owners declined to bake a cake for a lesbian wedding.

Not only has the business been forced to close, the state has fined the Kleins $135,000. But it gets worse. Much worse. Now that state has responded to a radio interview the Kleins gave by ordering them to no longer talk publicly about why their faith compels them to decline such business.

We’ve been telling you for some time now that this gay wedding business is little more than a cover for Fascism. Some of you thought that was way overblown. Can you still doubt it after this?

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

“This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”

The cease and desist came about after Aaron and Melissa Klein participated in an interview with Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins. During the interview, Aaron said among other things, “This fight is not over. We will continue to stand strong.”

Lawyers for plaintiffs, Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer, argued that in making this statement, the Kleins violated an Oregon law banning people from acting on behalf of a place of public accommodation (in this case, the place would be the Kleins’ former bakery) to communicate anything to the effect that the place of public accommodation would discriminate.

The specific order reads: “The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published … any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations … will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation.”

all of it here:

These people need to stop calling themselves "Christians" - homophobia justified by quoting scripture out of context is still just homophobia.

Well well, Squashing the rights of the people seems to be the order in the state of Oregon. AND you sit and say NOTHING. and others start threads Cheering it

SNIP:
By Dan Calabrese -- Bio and Archives July 3, 2015

calabrese070315-2.jpg
I don’t know if you’ve followed the case of Sweet Cakes by Melissa. This is the now-closed bakery in Oregon that has become a target of state officials because its Christian owners declined to bake a cake for a lesbian wedding.

Not only has the business been forced to close, the state has fined the Kleins $135,000. But it gets worse. Much worse. Now that state has responded to a radio interview the Kleins gave by ordering them to no longer talk publicly about why their faith compels them to decline such business.

We’ve been telling you for some time now that this gay wedding business is little more than a cover for Fascism. Some of you thought that was way overblown. Can you still doubt it after this?

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

“This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”

The cease and desist came about after Aaron and Melissa Klein participated in an interview with Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins. During the interview, Aaron said among other things, “This fight is not over. We will continue to stand strong.”

Lawyers for plaintiffs, Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer, argued that in making this statement, the Kleins violated an Oregon law banning people from acting on behalf of a place of public accommodation (in this case, the place would be the Kleins’ former bakery) to communicate anything to the effect that the place of public accommodation would discriminate.

The specific order reads: “The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published … any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations … will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation.”

all of it here:

These people need to stop calling themselves "Christians" - homophobia justified by quoting scripture out of context is still just homophobia.

Yeah, they should hang 'em or toss them off roofs like the Muslims do.

There is no gag order. The couple can discuss this all they want. And in fact they went on a talk show and discussed it. They also lied about it, which is a sin. Making a cake for a gay couple is not a sin.

According to the article posted there is.

According to the actual order there isn't.

Which is more authoritative, the actual order or what someone tells you about the order?
>>>>

You have the link?
Posted in the thread by Paperview. Apparently state law forbids a business from putting up a sign saying "we hate xxxxx" or something to that order. Which is silly, IMO, but it most certainly isn't a gag order forbidding these two bakers from discussing the case.

That's how I read it too. But it's much worse than silly. Gag orders often make sense, especially in civil cases. But this a general violation of their freedom to express a specific opinion. It cuts right to the bone of freedom of speech.
I was incorrect. The law actual says if the PA law says you can't discriminate against X you can't put up a sign saying We Don't Serve X.

Apparently they can still put up signs saying gays, jews, negroes, etc., suck. As it should be.

The lezbos sure did a good job of playing the victim. Their list of hurts and suffering is well done.
That you call them names just proves that you would like to continue to victimize them.
Oh, c'mon. They're not fooling anyone except you, obviously. This was all planned.

Sneaky lesbians.

Arranging for one of them to have their mother get married, order the cake from Sweetcakes and then two years later plan on ordering a cake from the same vendor.

>>>>
Did that really happen?

Did the lesbians in the Sweetcakes case purchase a Wedding Cake about 2 years prior for one of the mothers of the couple and then return when it was time for their own wedding cake?

Yes, a fact undisputed in the ruling.

>>>>

The lezbos sure did a good job of playing the victim. Their list of hurts and suffering is well done.
That you call them names just proves that you would like to continue to victimize them.
Oh, c'mon. They're not fooling anyone except you, obviously. This was all planned.

Sneaky lesbians.

Arranging for one of them to have their mother get married, order the cake from Sweetcakes and then two years later plan on ordering a cake from the same vendor.

>>>>
Did that really happen?

Did the lesbians in the Sweetcakes case purchase a Wedding Cake about 2 years prior for one of the mothers of the couple and then return when it was time for their own wedding cake?

>>>>
That pretty much proves that they didn't target Sweetcakes and in fact were repeat customers because they had previously received good service.

Nope. I've looked into it, you not so much. What it takes to deport 11 million or so people is not for the faint of heart. Check it out: Deporting 11 Million People Could Cost 400-600 Billion Study Finds - The Atlantic
Oh, for sure. I also read in a newspaper about global warming or was it climate change. I also read in a newspaper back in the 70s that an ice age would destroy civilization as we know it by now. You believe everything you read in the newspaper?
Nope, but when I look into an issue, unlike you, I know what the fuck I'm talking about...

The baker serves everyone and always has.

Not the question at the core of the complaint and the acts of the business required by law. The State law requires "full and equal" access to goods and services. Providing one set of services to everyone but only a subset of services to another group is not full and equal access. In the case of a baker. We sell cookies to everyone (full services), but do wedding cakes only for heterosexual couples (a sub grouping) would be a clear violation of the law.

>>>>

lol, Maybe the people living there will get TIRED of being ruled by a bunch of Fascist asses. good luck, glad I don't live there

SNIP:
Oregon Is First State to Charge Drivers for Each Mile They Drive
By Susan Jones | July 6, 2015 | 11:24 AM EDT
blumenauer_0.jpg

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) is among the first to sign up for Oregon's new road user-fee. (AP File Photo)
(CNSNews.com) - When he's not riding his bicycle, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, an Oregon Democrat, said he's driving a fuel-efficient hybrid, and that's a problem, because it means he's not paying his "fair share" for highway maintenance.

Blumenauer says that's why he signed up for OReGO, the nation's first program to charge drivers based on the number of miles they drive.

The program launched on July 1. It is voluntary at the moment, :haha:but Blumenauer expects that to change:

"I'm excited to be one of the first 5,000 volunteers in the OReGO program, because I'm convinced that as a state and as a nation we should not pay for transportation based on how much fuel we consume," he said in a videotaped message for OReGO:

He noted that gas taxes are no longer an effective highway user-fee due to inflation and increasing fuel efficiency. (LOL, It's NEVER enough money for these people so who do they GO AFTER? NOT their bank accounts.) roll over, sit, bark

all of it here:
Oregon Is First State to Charge Drivers for Each Mile They Drive

Sneaky lesbians.

>>>>
Did that really happen?

>>>>
Tell us the rest of the story. The first cake was a plain cake. The second cake was a cake with specific words on it. Is that correct?

The Christian baker sold cakes to anyone. No problem. The problem was created by the lezbos demanding special words be applied to the cake so the new law could be tested.

The Christian baker sold cakes to anyone. No problem. The problem was created by the lezbos demanding special words be applied to the cake so the new law could be tested.
No, they didn't ask for special words. Why don't you read up on the case and get back with us.

The baker serves everyone and always has. This business was targeted to test the new law. The lezbos had to make a point of asking for a special cake to test the law.
Total bullshit from you, as usual.
That's not a rebuttal. You're new at this, huh.
I read the damn story of how this came about years years ago. Your turn: Sweet Cakes by Melissa ordered to pay 135k to lesbian couple they refused Daily Mail Online

Forum List

Back