Oregon Gov Commutes Sentences of Death Row Inmates

well we were talking about did manson kill anyone himself.....and so far i cant find anything saying he did....he was a typical coward,always having someone else do his dirty work.....

He participated and if tried would be convicted of murder whether he gave the last blow or not.

But my protest was over the idea of commuting sentences means a person would murder again.

The governor is acting within her capacity as chief executive, she has the lawful authority to commute sentences – nothing is being usurped.

Agree with this. So long as that's how the Oregon law reads.

And executing people 90 days after being sentenced would be un-Constitutional, the condemned not being afforded comprehensive due process.

Link?

There's nothing in the Constitution (the Federal one anyway) that would prevent a State from executing someone 90 days after their conviction. There isnt anything in there preventing them from doing 5 mins after the conviction. The trial was the due process. Unless you're talking about the Oregon constitution.

In Illinois, we overturned all the death penalty sentences because we were exonerating more people from Death Row than we were executing. The governor decided that he couldn't really make a case by case judgement, so he commuted all the sentences, except for four guys he let out completely because the Chicago cops beat confessions out of them.

My problem with the death penalty that it is final. If you find out you made a mistake, you can't undo it.

And your state is one of the most criminal-infested shitholes in the whole country.

<sarcasm>I cannot imagine why that would be, can you?</sarcasm>

There have been far too many cases of modern DNA science leading to the release of innocent people on death row. Something is broken in our justice system and it needs to be fixed before we kill any more people.
Agreed. Everyone currently on Death Row should have a DNA examination of evidence if possible.
As for executing people 90 days after conviction, we would have killed a lot of innocent people.
True also.

My point though wasn't to execute more people. The point was that if we are going to have the death penalty, there is no way that there should be folks on death row for over 10 years much less some instances of 30+ years.

What I think though is this. If we had a court that was just there to fast track death penalty cases, we could get appeals out of the way in short order. LOL--90 days was probably a bit optimistic. Lets say 5 years. How would that sound to you?

Manson never killed again after having his sentence commuted.
Manson was one out of a million

Not many killers are as clearly insane as he was

And he didn't bother to hide it

Manson was one out of a million

Not many killers are as clearly insane as he was

And he didn't bother to hide it

So the other 999,999,999 that have had their death sentences commuted have went on to kill again?

How many of the killers on death row in oregon are guilty of murder?

If they killed once they will kill again
How are they going to murder again if they have been commuted to life with no chance of parole?

Death penalty cases get an immediate appeal as a matter of right. An appellate attorney usually starts work shortly before verdict.

That's one appeal, as a matter of right. Every other appeal, and they are constant, is done by an NGO public interest law group. The ACLU and the Innocence Project churn them out like newsprint. Inmates write their own appeals too. They scribble them out in pencil on yellow legal pads.

thats why it should only be for those who have been proven without a doubt they did the killing....

Uh, if there is ANY doubt at all, they should be let go. That's how our system SHOULD work.

YOu don't throw a man in jail because you are kind of sure he did it.

Every last one of the 183 people released from Death Row had cops, prosecutors, a judge and a jury who were POSITIVE they did it.

Until someone else proved they didn't.

When one of these pieces of shit goes free, and goes on, once again, to murder an actual human being, you cannot undo that, either.

But then, you've repeatedly made it absolutely care that you don't care about actual human beings, only criminals.

You know there's a whole range of options between "Setting them free" and "Killing the poor bastard on dubious evidence" right?

Yeah, you are a blood thirsty piece of garbage.

It's a good point, but does not seem relevant here. She has no actual reason for doing this, other than her own beliefs.

She's acting like a dictator, changing the law, passed by the legislature, without reasonable justification. She said....

No, she is acting within the bounds of her office. It is entirely the purview of the governor to commute sentences.

Those convicted to death based on DNA evidence, need to be extinguished!!

DNA doesn't lie!
Well, hold on a sec.

I saw this series on AMC called the Killing Season. Its about a bunch of murders that took place on Long Island (at least the first few episodes were). The persons murdered were largely sex workers. Theoretically they could find the DNA of several former clients in the victims.

So if someone was convicted of killing one of the sex workers based (in part) on their DNA being at the scene, that isn't proof positive they were the murderer.

What my comment was concerning DNA was more about it possibly exonerating folks who have been on Death Row.

And your state is one of the most criminal-infested shitholes in the whole country.

<sarcasm>I cannot imagine why that would be, can you?</sarcasm>

Actually, Illinois has one of the lower violent crime rates. It comes in at #19 with a violent crime rate of 425 of 100,000 people. .

Lower than Red states Alaska, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina, South Dakota, Montana, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas, where they execute a shitload of people.

So I guess having a DP really doesn't have an effect, as those states are the most jab-happy.

Oregon comes in at # 37, by the way.

No, she is acting within the bounds of her office. It is entirely the purview of the governor to commute sentences.

Well of course she is doing so legally, but her basis is not that they were wrongly convicted, or they they have reformed. Her basis is based upon her personal belief that the death penalty is immoral. Plus, it's racist, of course....

Here is her order...

It's political garbage.

============

1671068920989.png
1671068946791.png

Actually, Illinois has one of the lower violent crime rates. It comes in at #19 with a violent crime rate of 425 of 100,000 people. .

Lower than Red states Alaska, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, South Carolina, South Dakota, Montana, Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas, where they execute a shitload of people.

So I guess having a DP really doesn't have an effect, as those states are the most jab-happy.

Oregon comes in at # 37, by the way.

Woildnt the murder rate be a better metric to use to gauge the effectiveness of the death penalty ? They aren’t handing out death sentences for assault convictions.

Forum List

Back