Oregon Gov Commutes Sentences of Death Row Inmates

And this is conservatism in a nutshell – contributing nothing; exhibiting only ignorance and stupidity.
This is not a conservative issue. Progs turn simple solutions into a million-page encyclopedia. Theories all abound with most causing more problems. There are evil men and women. And if they are cold hearted murderers, they need to be dealt with. Of course, if the so-called insurrectionists did anything, there would be an expedient line to the gas chamber.

The Governor was voted in democratically . We trust .

Why not let state citizen's vote "for" or "against" this specific move ?

My problem with the death penalty that it is final. If you find out you made a mistake, you can't undo it.

When one of these pieces of shit goes free, and goes on, once again, to murder an actual human being, you cannot undo that, either.

But then, you've repeatedly made it absolutely care that you don't care about actual human beings, only criminals.

A different path of an appeals court would be un-Constitutional, a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, because it would deny criminal defendants access to the same appellate process as other criminal defendants for no other reason than being subject to the death penalty.

It would be akin creating a ‘special’ marriage license for same-sex couples separate and apart from a ‘regular’ marriage license afforded only to opposite-sex couples.

It’s understood that death row convicts whose appeals span years, decades, seems like the system is broken, but it’s actually an indication that a human life will not be taken by the state capriciously, that when the state does take a human life, it’s done so as lawfully as possible.

I think it would be more like how hate crimes award "special justice" for the victims.

However, I do not like that the jury was empaneled, listened to testimony, rendered a verdict, then (likely) rendered a sentence. Then...later on a governor, overturns it? Don't get me wrong, stop all executions going forward but I don't like it when the jury system is usurped by the chief executive.
Totally agree.

The governor is acting within her capacity as chief executive, she has the lawful authority to commute sentences – nothing is being usurped.
Oregon law is, arguably. Oregon has the death penalty, and that was the just sentence.

She is doing this based upon her own moral beliefs, after swearing to faithfully execute her office, but she is letting her own personal beliefs usurp the law without just reason.

My problem with the death penalty that it is final. If you find out you made a mistake, you can't undo it.
It's a good point, but does not seem relevant here. She has no actual reason for doing this, other than her own beliefs.

She's acting like a dictator, changing the law, passed by the legislature, without reasonable justification. She said....

“I have long believed that justice is not advanced by taking a life, and the state should not be in the business of executing people — even if a terrible crime placed them in prison,” Brown said in a statement sent out in a press release. “This is a value that many Oregonians share.”

Then change the law, you tyrant!

Putting criminals above victims and families. Where have we seen this before?

View attachment 738468

I am staunchly against the death penalty. I don't think it is a deterrent. That being said, if we executed people 90 days after their sentence, I think the deterrent factor would skyrocket. If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times...we need to completely overhaul our criminal justice system.

As for this ruling, I have mixed emotions. At the end of the day, I think it's a good thing to do. However, I do not like that the jury was empaneled, listened to testimony, rendered a verdict, then (likely) rendered a sentence. Then...later on a governor, overturns it? Don't get me wrong, stop all executions going forward but I don't like it when the jury system is usurped by the chief executive.
This is an example of why we need the death penalty instead of life without parole

Libs cannot be trusted to keep their word

View attachment 738468

I am staunchly against the death penalty. I don't think it is a deterrent. That being said, if we executed people 90 days after their sentence, I think the deterrent factor would skyrocket. If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times...we need to completely overhaul our criminal justice system.

As for this ruling, I have mixed emotions. At the end of the day, I think it's a good thing to do. However, I do not like that the jury was empaneled, listened to testimony, rendered a verdict, then (likely) rendered a sentence. Then...later on a governor, overturns it? Don't get me wrong, stop all executions going forward but I don't like it when the jury system is usurped by the chief executive.
There have been far too many cases of modern DNA science leading to the release of innocent people on death row. Something is broken in our justice system and it needs to be fixed before we kill any more people.

As for executing people 90 days after conviction, we would have killed a lot of innocent people.

Besides, I think life without parole is a fate worse than death.

On September 2, 2014, Leon Brown (above) and Henry McCollum (below) were exonerated and released from prison in North Carolina.
McCollum.jpeg

The two men, who are half brothers, had been convicted of the rape and murder of an 11-year-old girl and sentenced to death in 1984. Brown was 15 at the time of the crime and McCollum was 19. Both men have intellectual disabilities and were interrogated under duress until they confessed to the crime. In 2010, Brown turned to the North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission for help. The Commission tested DNA evidence from the crime scene, which implicated a man who was convicted of a similar crime. Robeson County Judge Douglas Sasser vacated the men’s convictions and said the evidence indicated their innocence. District Attorney Johnson Britt supported their release and said no further charges will be brought against them.

There have been far too many cases of modern DNA science leading to the release of innocent people on death row. Something is broken in our justice system and it needs to be fixed before we kill any more people.

As for executing people 90 days after conviction, we would have killed a lot of innocent people.

Besides, I think life without parole is a fate worse than death.
How many of the killers on death row in oregon are guilty of murder?

If they killed once they will kill again

did he.....prove it.....

Shorty Shea. There was multiple people who participated and Manson was one. But all the same it's irrelevant. Tex Watson never murdered anyone again. I suppose you can argue he still could if you wish.

Shorty Shea. There was multiple people who participated and Manson was one. But all the same it's irrelevant. Tex Watson never murdered anyone again. I suppose you can argue he still could if you wish.
what i just read is charlie ordered the killings but did participate.....according to bruce davis who was there....he and tex watson and steve grogan did the killing....

what i just read is charlie ordered the killings but did participate.....according to bruce davis who was there....he and tex watson and steve grogan did the killing....

And since being in prison Tex Watson has not murdered again.

Steve Grogan was even paroled and never killed again.

And since being in prison Tex Watson has not murdered again.

Steve Grogan was even paroled and never killed again.
well we were talking about did manson kill anyone himself.....and so far i cant find anything saying he did....he was a typical coward,always having someone else do his dirty work.....

Forum List

Back