Oppressive regulations

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I keep looking and looking, but I can't find any regulation that isn't oppressive. I particularly like the story of one of the best hot sauces in the country that was shut down after it was invited to move to a new facility.

Last week California health regulators ordered the makers of Sriracha hot sauce to suspend operations for 30 days. The 30-day hold comes despite the fact the product has been on the market for more than three decades and that “no recall has been ordered and no pathogenic bacteria have been found[.]”
So what’s the issue?
The problem, reports the Pasadena Star News, is that Sriracha is a raw food.
“Because Sriracha is not cooked, only mashed and blended, Huy Fong needs to make sure its bottles won’t harbor dangerous bacteria,” writes the Star News.
Aren’t three decades of sales sufficient proof of that fact?
“The regulations outlining this process have been in existence for years,” writes California health department official Anita Gore, in a statement she sent to L.A. Weekly, “but the modified production requirements were established for the firm this year.”
California Regulators Attempt to Kill Sriracha - Reason.com

Did you get all of that? They moved into a new facility, after being invited by the city, and were expanding sales, but where shut down because the neighbors didn't like the smell. Then the health department stepped in and shut them down because they use raw food from local farmers to make a product that everyone likes because no one has ever gotten sick from eating it.

Don't worry though, the government is there to protect us, and regulations never hurt business.

I recall hot sauce is naturally safe, because it has natural preservatives...between the pepper oils and the acid (many are vinegar-based), bacteria cannot live.

That is too bad. I hope this shut down is just temporary. I do use Sriracha sauce (Rooster sauce). It is good for dipping when eating seafood, or any Asian food for that matter. I especially like it when having Dim Sum food. You can get it at pretty much any supermarket.

I recall hot sauce is naturally safe, because it has natural preservatives...between the pepper oils and the acid (many are vinegar-based), bacteria cannot live.

Correct. All the new regulations make the company do is hold the sauce for 30 days to make sure that process occurs.

Health department spokeswoman Anita Gore told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the 30-day hold is needed to "ensure an effective treatment of microorganisms present in the product."

News from The Associated Press

The deceptive windbag failed to post those facts. But whats new?

I deal with quite a lot of regulations in my business. They're expensive to adhere to, but I recognize most as necessary and very few if any as "oppressive".

It's about $1000.00 for safety gear so one of my employees doesn't fall off a 200 foot tower. It's worth every penny, and deductible too! And NOT AT ALL OPPRESSIVE!

I keep looking and looking, but I can't find any regulation that isn't oppressive. I particularly like the story of one of the best hot sauces in the country that was shut down after it was invited to move to a new facility.

Last week California health regulators ordered the makers of Sriracha hot sauce to suspend operations for 30 days. The 30-day hold comes despite the fact the product has been on the market for more than three decades and that “no recall has been ordered and no pathogenic bacteria have been found[.]”
So what’s the issue?
The problem, reports the Pasadena Star News, is that Sriracha is a raw food.
“Because Sriracha is not cooked, only mashed and blended, Huy Fong needs to make sure its bottles won’t harbor dangerous bacteria,” writes the Star News.
Aren’t three decades of sales sufficient proof of that fact?
“The regulations outlining this process have been in existence for years,” writes California health department official Anita Gore, in a statement she sent to L.A. Weekly, “but the modified production requirements were established for the firm this year.”
California Regulators Attempt to Kill Sriracha - Reason.com

Did you get all of that? They moved into a new facility, after being invited by the city, and were expanding sales, but where shut down because the neighbors didn't like the smell. Then the health department stepped in and shut them down because they use raw food from local farmers to make a product that everyone likes because no one has ever gotten sick from eating it.

Don't worry though, the government is there to protect us, and regulations never hurt business.

The company is clearly doing it right because they want to keep their customers.

Government regulations cause companies to jump through hoops and spend lots of money doing it, but in the long run, there isn't enough oversight to ensure the regulations are even met. That is why many companies do recall products despite the government making all these regulations.

I get the impression that it's more about companies paying the initial costs for inspections, licensing, etc. and after that, the government could care less how they do things. Of course, we have heard the many instances of inspectors being bought off.

Government regulation is a huge joke and one of those things that make people feel safe, but in reality don't make a damn bit of difference.

This company did fine on it's own and most in the private sector hold themselves to high standards. Government intervening has never guaranteed a safe product. They merely cause companies to part with more money and call it good.

The lowest standards in the country are those practiced by government agencies. They don't have to please anyone because they can't get fired and no government agency ever goes away. They can be as awful as they want to be.

I deal with quite a lot of regulations in my business. They're expensive to adhere to, but I recognize most as necessary and very few if any as "oppressive".

It's about $1000.00 for safety gear so one of my employees doesn't fall off a 200 foot tower. It's worth every penny, and deductible too! And NOT AT ALL OPPRESSIVE!

Even if that was not a regulation, you would still provide them, right? I think most would.

you expect the leftard ignorants to have at least SOME knowledge?

all the southern food ( meaning geographically in the Northern hemisphere) is usually very spicy. and the reason is exactly the necessity in natural preservatives.

I guess the Ca regulators skipped biology in their public schools :rolleyes:

Correct. All the new regulations make the company do is hold the sauce for 30 days to make sure that process occurs.

Health department spokeswoman Anita Gore told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the 30-day hold is needed to "ensure an effective treatment of microorganisms present in the product."

Which puts the company out of business for 30 days, and leads to their employees not getting paid, no one paying taxes on the income, and all sorts of other wonderful things, all because no one in history has ever gotten sick from using hot sauce prepared from raw ingredients.

So, tell me, what did I miss?

Even if that was not a regulation, you would still provide them, right? I think most would.

You think?

Which puts the company out of business for 30 days, and leads to their employees not getting paid, no one paying taxes on the income, and all sorts of other wonderful things, all because no one in history has ever gotten sick from using hot sauce prepared from raw ingredients.

So, tell me, what did I miss?

This company had no inventory set back so they could make shipments while the company was moving to its new location?

Them managers were dumb weren't they? No cash reserves?

Has this company gone out of business now?

Forum List

Back