Sriracha sauce shortage causes prices to spike upward of $70 a bottle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Fans of sriracha sauce might have to find a new spice alternative.

Continual chili supply disruptions are hampering production within one of the nation’s leading sriracha sauce manufacturers for a second year in a row.

Huy Fong Foods, Inc., a California-based hot sauce company that supplies bottles of sriracha sauce to restaurants, grocery stores and other food retailers throughout the country, has been struggling to keep up with demand while droughts in Mexico kill off essential pepper crops.

Yet resellers on e-commerce platforms such as eBay and Amazon are filling gaps with listings that mark single bottles for exorbitant prices.

Typically, 9-, 17- and 28-ounce bottles of Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce retail for less than $5, according to listings from big box retailers like Walmart and Target, but the condiment appears to be sold out.

Some of the recognizable, green-topped bottles, which are colloquially referred to as "Rooster Sauce," in reference to the brand’s rooster logo, are being listed and sold for around $30 (plus shipping), which includes Huy Fong’s 9-, 17- and 28-ounce bottles.

At the time of publication, some sponsored sellers on eBay who have agreed to pay the auction website a percentage of their sale price for higher placement in search results, have sold single 9-ounce bottles for $26.98, 17-ounce two packs for $54.49 and 28-ounce two packs for $71.99.

Under another eBay listing, the page says 12 of the 28-ounce bottles have been sold for upward of $69.99. One bottle costs $69.99; yet if shoppers purchase more than one bottle, the price slightly goes down, according to the listing.

Bulk size packages that contain 50 packets with under an ounce each are also being sold for $23.94.
Sponsored Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce listings on eBay.

Buying it at that price must be what people felt paying $600 for a case of 9mm ammo or a $1.00 a round for .22LR.

Reminds me of The Great King Syrup Shortage during the covid. NY shut the plant down and it was nowhere to be found but eBay where it was going for $50.00+ a bottle.

Last edited:

Continual chili supply disruptions are hampering production within one of the nation’s leading sriracha sauce manufacturers for a second year in a row.

Huy Fong Foods, Inc., a California-based hot sauce company that supplies bottles of sriracha sauce to restaurants, grocery stores and other food retailers throughout the country, has been struggling to keep up with demand while droughts in Mexico kill off essential pepper crops.

Yet resellers on e-commerce platforms such as eBay and Amazon are filling gaps with listings that mark single bottles for exorbitant prices.

Typically, 9-, 17- and 28-ounce bottles of Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce retail for less than $5, according to listings from big box retailers like Walmart and Target, but the condiment appears to be sold out.

Some of the recognizable, green-topped bottles, which are colloquially referred to as "Rooster Sauce," in reference to the brand’s rooster logo, are being listed and sold for around $30 (plus shipping), which includes Huy Fong’s 9-, 17- and 28-ounce bottles.

At the time of publication, some sponsored sellers on eBay who have agreed to pay the auction website a percentage of their sale price for higher placement in search results, have sold single 9-ounce bottles for $26.98, 17-ounce two packs for $54.49 and 28-ounce two packs for $71.99.

Under another eBay listing, the page says 12 of the 28-ounce bottles have been sold for upward of $69.99. One bottle costs $69.99; yet if shoppers purchase more than one bottle, the price slightly goes down, according to the listing.

Bulk size packages that contain 50 packets with under an ounce each are also being sold for $23.94.

Buying it at that price must be what people felt paying $600 for a case of 9mm ammo or a $1.00 a round for .22LR.

Reminds me of The Great King Syrup Shortage during the covid. NY shut the plant down and it was nowhere to be found but eBay where it was going for $50.00+ a bottle.
At the request of a neighbor, I went looking online for Diet RC Cola. WalMart sold it, but for $27.16 for 12-pack of 12 oz cans.

There are so many great hot sauces out there that this is no big deal.

Plus if you grow your own peppers, you can make your own sauces, dry and grind them up to put in jerky, chop them up and put them on food, etc....

Thanks. Maybe I'll check the price on dried flaked or ground chili today when I go to the store. Nice to have a stash, even though I don't eat spicy stuff. When SHTF, junkies gotta have their fix.

Also time to pick up seeds for my garden.

Damn Bro! You weren't just making that shit up, were you?

sauce.jpg

Thanks. Maybe I'll check the price on dried flaked or ground chili today when I go to the store. Nice to have a stash, even though I don't eat spicy stuff. When SHTF, junkies gotta have their fix.

Also time to pick up seeds for my garden.

I started years ago with a couple of jalapeno plants, 2-3 habanero plants, I think a Cayenne plant and some ghosts. Each year you save some seeds and grow seedlings in the windowsill for plants in the summer. Now have added some Carolina Reapers, those peppers go a long way.

I started years ago with a couple of jalapeno plants, 2-3 habanero plants, I think a Cayenne plant and some ghosts. Each year you save some seeds and grow seedlings in the windowsill for plants in the summer. Now have added some Carolina Reapers, those peppers go a long way.

The Ghost Peppers and Reapers are serious! Ouch!

Fake shortages are the new normal. That's what happens when you allow monopolies to flourish at the expense of small businesses and workers. We used to have over 51 major aerospace industries in the U.S. Now we have 5, and their production rates are so slow they have back orders for many years.

Yeah, this year's project is growing a boatload of tomatoes so I can learn the skills of making ketchup and tomato sauce. Add some onions and peppers and it's happy condiments time!

Pay attention to soil composition. That is where the distinct flavors come from, and why some regions are better than others for many crops. Sometimes it isn't cost effective to try and copy another region's specialties, like Hatch's chiles or Vidalia onions.

And don't count on stores that cater to Mexicans, either; the chiles they sell at Fiestas aren't any better than those you get at Wally World. I don't buy them at either place, I know a farmer or two west of here who does much better, and he raises jalapenos that are actually hot, and sell at reasonable prices, higher than the stores but by quality much cheaper. Same with their bell peppers and homemade chow chow, though Miss Renfo's is still a strong commercial brand around here.

Last edited:

supposed shortages will be the new marketing tool.......because of covid or this or that

Yeah, this year's project is growing a boatload of tomatoes so I can learn the skills of making ketchup and tomato sauce. Add some onions and peppers and it's happy condiments time!

Plain tomato sauce is just cooking it down to thicken. Ketchup isn't really hard to make either, but takes some spices and cook till thickened as well. Lots of good recipes online.

As for Siracha sauce........my kids will be in a panic cause they eat that shit on just about everything

My grandmother made some kick-ass ketchup and earned some decent coin (for the era) selling it to a couple local restaurants and a fancy Inn.

I wanted a copy of the recipe but my faggot-ass cousin got her home recipies upon her death and was making it himself and using/selling it at a B&B he and his faggot "wife" run in WV.

He won't come off the recipe.....I hope he finally dies of the AIDs he's got.

Forum List

Back