Opinion: Liberals Should Welcome DeSantis rise: If Trump is a unique threat to democracy, they should be happy to see a GOP alternative to replace him

Bugs bunny...the favorite cartoon character of people who were children in the 1960s...DUMBASS!!

My kids don't know who Bugs Bunny is.
Do they attend a lib public school?

If so they probably know how to put a condom on a cucumber

Bugs bunny...the favorite cartoon character of people who were children in the 1960s...DUMBASS!!

I know who bugs Bunny is. I just find it ironic and adults would bring it up in a serious conversation.

I know who bugs Bunny is. I just find it ironic and adults would bring it up in a serious conversation.

We're discussing DeSantis possibly running for President so we're not having a serious conversation.

Grow a sense of humor!

Women have already been made second-class citizens by Republicans utilizing a minority view of the law. DeSantis already passed the " Don't say gay bill " in Florida. What do you think he'll do as president. Make gays second-class citizens also, We can't afford any more hatred and discrimination in this country so he's out too.

This coming from a side that wants to allow men who tuck to compete in Women's sports.

I basically ignore that last line I was commenting on what you said in the previous two lines. You're attempt at making a joke didn't register with me. My time available for watching television was very limited . We had a family business, and that meant everyone works. I can't remember when I started helping but by the time I was 7 I was well regimented into what was required.

We're discussing DeSantis possibly running for President so we're not having a serious conversation.

Grow a sense of humor!
The DeSantis has a better chance than trump does on the Republican ticket. And I'm not joking, Trump's latest whacked out comments like he changed the classification of documents with his mind clearly indicates he is not in full possession of his mind. I do understand he's a con man so it might be a prelude to avoid prison by declaring insanity. I'm sure his lawyers have discussed that with him as a final alternative.

The DeSantis has a better chance than trump does on the Republican ticket. And I'm not joking, Trump's latest whacked out comments like he changed the classification of documents with his mind clearly indicates he is not in full possession of his mind. I do understand he's a con man so it might be a prelude to avoid prison by declaring insanity. I'm sure his lawyers have discussed that with him as a final alternative.

There is no chance that Trump will run as President. He will be in prison. He's challenged the entire justice system. Their authority and integrity are on the line. You can bet that those legions of lawyers and judges that spent all that time and money on law school are NOT going to let him make them out to be fools. They may be slow, but they won't lose.

DeSantis may very well get the Republican nod, but he'll never get elected. The 2016 election was a fluke. It will not be repeated.

I live in Florida and have for half a century. DeSantis is the best Governor during that time by far and that includes Bush the Brother.
Well, bar being as low as it is, I'm not surprised you think that.
But Stillson???..will have his day. It's coming. :)

That. And the 1983 movie with Christopher Walken and Martin (Stillson) Sheen.

Because Stillson is EXACTLY who DeSantis reminds me of...every time he opens his mouth.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. My opinion is DeSantis is one good Governor and would be a good President.

DeSantis will get a good test in the upcoming weeks after Hurricane Ian. That hurricane was so big and powerful that it will be almost impossible to look good trying to solvethe problems Ian left behind.

Alternately, we could have three terms: Trump and then back-to-back DeSantis terms and that would put the liberals really on edge

excerpts:

By any reasonable standard, DeSantis’ supposed sins are peccadilloes compared to those of Trump.

There is no doubt that DeSantis reflects a new more Trumpian Republican Party, in his combativeness with the press, in his emphasis on cultural issues, in his willingness to use government power in the culture war, and in his ability to appeal to Trump voters.

Still, there is nothing aberrant about DeSantis. His state-of-the-state address this year, with freedom as its central theme, could have been delivered by a conservative Republican governor any time over the last 30 years

DeSantis may be Trumpy in notable respects, but, importantly, he doesn’t exhibit any of Trump’s character flaws.

He is tough on reporters, but he hasn’t engaged in any taunting or gratuitous insults.

He is a sharp political player, which isn’t unusual of powerful governors, but isn’t fundamentally driven by personal vendettas.

He hasn’t governed via tweet, with seat-of-the-pants edicts quickly reversed or forgotten when he’s talked out of them.

He is a voracious consumer of information and isn’t prone to ill-informed riffs

In all the ways that should matter, in short, DeSantis is better than Trump, and compared to the former president, he is reassuringly normal. In a better world, this would win him some grudging praise from unexpected quarters. Instead, because he’s a conservative Republican with some chance to be his party’s presidential nominee, he is ipso facto considered a threat to the republic

Sure, I'll vote for Desantis over Trump 7 days a week, but Democrats don't vote in a Republican primary, they vote in general TO WIN and want the weakest opponent.

Forum List

Back