Opinion: Erdoğan’s Sad Search for Past Glories

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Poor Sunni Man, still sitting on his porta-potty as he starts trolling anything I write, just as he does every day. I wonder if there is a dating site where he can find someone who doesn't mind someone who is in that condition and is just looking for some company. Meanwhile, Interesting piece by an Arab.

Written by : Abdulrahman Al-Rashed
on : Thursday, 20 Nov, 2014
Print This Post
Opinion: Erdoğan’s Sad Search for Past Glories
I’ve read a great deal of criticism by a number of Arab writers of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for recently claiming during an Istanbul summit of Muslim leaders from Latin America that Muslim sailors, not Christopher Columbus, had discovered the Americas.

For me, and perhaps for many others, Erdoğan’s statement was highly entertaining. However, perhaps some others were likely to find it infuriating, if they suffer from inferiority complexes and blame Westerners or others for stealing everything, including the discoveries and accomplishments of Muslims! His statement may also subject him to the mockery of yet more groups, such as Arab intellectuals. Erdoğan was most probably addressing people at the level of their own intellectual capabilities by stripping all the positive characteristics of his rivals and ascribing them to himself.

Can dredging up the narrative of who discovered America change history? What’s certain is that it will not alter the present, as today there are certain nations at the forefront of our era, while others—such as ours—lag behind. What’s ironic is that as Erdoğan made that statement, the European Space Agency announced that their Rosetta spacecraft, which they launched 10 years ago, finally landed on a comet.

Continue reading at:

Opinion Erdo an s Sad Search for Past Glories ASHARQ AL-AWSAT?

Yes this is a very ancient story actually, this is the quad battle of the Middle East - you have Qatar, Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia, and now the upraising force - Islamic State.

Forum List

Back