Operetta... does anyone even know what it is?

Operetta is pretty much dead in the world except in the country that gave the world the greatest operetta composers - Lehar and Kalman - Hungary.

Operetta is pretty much dead in the world except in the country that gave the world the greatest operetta composers - Lehar and Kalman - Hungary.

Untrue.

Operetta is played all the time in the German speaking regions: Germany, Austria, Tirol, Switzerland...

When was the last time there was an operetta staged on Broadway. Or in London. Or in South America. Or Australia.

franz lehar wrote some great stuff...Seriously..

Untrue.

Operetta is played all the time in the German speaking regions: Germany, Austria, Tirol, Switzerland...

When was the last time there was an operetta staged on Broadway. Or in London. Or in South America. Or Australia.

Uhm, Broadway is not the venue for Operetta. Broadway was built and designed for musicals. You know this, right? In London G & S is played all over the place.

And in Sidney, there are quite a few operettas performed per year.

Do you have a hang-up about operettas, or what?

franz lehar wrote some great stuff...Seriously..

You don't need to convince me. I know that the sweetest melodies, the loveliest sounds and the funniest situations come from operettas and the greatest of all operetta composers is Lehar, followed by Kalman, Strauss and Offenbach.

Untrue.

Uhm, Broadway is not the venue for Operetta. Broadway was built and designed for musicals. You know this, right? In London G & S is played all over the place.

Musicals are nothing but operettas performed by singers who can't sing, which is a shame.
Gilbert and Sullivan rely heavily on repetitions, first "sung" by a solo followed by a chorus. Operetta? Yeah, if you must.

You're joking! :))

Here, in provincial town, in opera theatre - every month at least one operetta... What we can say about capital cities, like Moscow or Saint-Petersburg - they have both a special theatres, which plays almost only operettas! :)))

Untrue.

Musicals are nothing but operettas performed by singers who can't sing, which is a shame.
Gilbert and Sullivan rely heavily on repetitions, first "sung" by a solo followed by a chorus. Operetta? Yeah, if you must.
Are you a trained, professional singer?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

You're joking! :))

Here, in provincial town, in opera theatre - every month at least one operetta... What we can say about capital cities, like Moscow or Saint-Petersburg - they have both a special theatres, which plays almost only operettas! :)))
Pravda.

Untrue.

whoa !!
You don't think that Phantom of the Opera or the Merry Widow is not operetta?
Both have been very successful on Broadway.

Last edited:

Untrue.

whoa !!

Phantom is not an operetta. It is a musical.
Merry Widow I have never, ever seen on broadway, ever.
I assume you mean Die lustige Weibern von Windsor.

Gotta link?

Untrue.

whoa !!

Gotta link?

What is the difference between the two?

Untrue.

whoa !!

Gotta link?

An operetta, like the Opera, still requires a ringing voice that can provide it's own projection and resonance in a hall of up to 3,000 or 4,000 seats without a microphone. For a musical, that is not necessary.

Also, for an operetta, the natural and correct vibrato of the human singing voice is honored and in a musical, it is often either negative or somewhat twisted.

Operetta music still goes to at least upper C for high voices. Musicals are often written in keys that don't really fit any fach, but are a pablum, usually too low for a high voice to enjoy and often too high for a low voice to really enjoy.

Operettas are generally considerably longer than a musical, up to 3 hours in length. A standard musical goes only two hours.

Musicals often have very small side-roles that are only spoken (bit-parts), something that very rarely happens in Operetta (for instance, "Frosch" in DIE FLEDERMAUS).

So, there are some differences, for starters.

And there are serious differences between Musicals of, say, the 1940s and Musicals of today.

Hope that helps.

Musical is a wonderful genre on its own, but it is not the same as an Operetta.

Last edited:

whoa !!

Gotta link?

An operetta, like the Opera, still requires a ringing voice that can provide it's own projection and resonance in a hall of up to 3,000 or 4,000 seats without a microphone. For a musical, that is not necessary.

Also, for an operetta, the natural and correct vibrato of the human singing voice is honored and in a musical, it is often either negative or somewhat twisted.

Operetta music still goes to at least upper C for high voices. Musicals are often written in keys that don't really fit any fach, but are a pablum, usually too low for a high voice to enjoy and often too high for a low voice to really enjoy.

Operettas are generally considerably longer than a musical, up to 3 hours in length. A standard musical goes only two hours.

Musicals often have very small side-roles that are only spoken (bit-parts), something that very rarely happens in Operetta (for instance, "Frosch" in DIE FLEDERMAUS).

So, there are some differences, for starters.

And there are serious differences between Musicals of, say, the 1940s and Musicals of today.

Hope that helps.

Musical is a wonderful genre on its own, but it is not the same as an Operetta.

Yes, thanks, very. :) Didn't you tell me you were a singer before?

Untrue.

whoa !!

Gotta link?

List of Operetta Operas
The Merry Widow on Broadway - Information, Cast, Crew, Synopsis and Photos - Playbill Vault
The Merry Widow
Majestic Theather
Opening Date: August 4, 1943
Closing Date: May 6, 1944

Operetta - New World Encyclopedia

Untrue.

whoa !!

Gotta link?

List of Operetta Operas
The Merry Widow on Broadway - Information, Cast, Crew, Synopsis and Photos - Playbill Vault
The Merry Widow
Majestic Theather
Opening Date: August 4, 1943
Closing Date: May 6, 1944

Operetta - New World Encyclopedia
Yes, from 1943, 71 years ago.
That's a hint from me....

Operetta is a lighter form of opera and distinguishes itself from opera in three ways:

1.) spoken dialogue (which usually does not happen in Opera at all)
2.) ballet/dance numbers - practically required in the 3rd act.
3.) Generally sung by the lighter voice "Fächer". More use of character voices in Operetta than in the Opera.

Some Operetta's, however, are very difficult and sometimes, massive, like FLEDERMAUS, LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN, LAND DES LÄCHELNS.

The forerunner to Operetta is an in-between form, called SINGSPIEL in German. ZAUBERFLÖTE, though it is called an Opera, is actually a SINGSPIEL.

I have had intimate contact with Operetta as a genre for 28 years now.

Is there is a specific work that interests you, FJO?

I also had an intimate contact with operetta.

I was born and lived the first seventeen years of my life in Hungary, the country that produced THE operetta composers, Franz Lehar and Emerich Kalman, the country where kids grow up singing and doodling and whistling melodies dreamed up by these two musical geniuses, and I say that with no disrespect to Strauss, Zeller, Offenbach, Stoltz, Millocker and many others who are probably unknown to you.

Also unknown to you the operetta that is spoken and sung in that mysterious and wonderful language, Hungarian. You have no idea what you are missing.

I agree with you about musicals of today not measuring up to the musicals of years past.

Operetta is a lighter form of opera and distinguishes itself from opera in three ways:

1.) spoken dialogue (which usually does not happen in Opera at all)
2.) ballet/dance numbers - practically required in the 3rd act.
3.) Generally sung by the lighter voice "Fächer". More use of character voices in Operetta than in the Opera.

Some Operetta's, however, are very difficult and sometimes, massive, like FLEDERMAUS, LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN, LAND DES LÄCHELNS.

The forerunner to Operetta is an in-between form, called SINGSPIEL in German. ZAUBERFLÖTE, though it is called an Opera, is actually a SINGSPIEL.

I have had intimate contact with Operetta as a genre for 28 years now.

Is there is a specific work that interests you, FJO?

I also had an intimate contact with operetta.

I was born and lived the first seventeen years of my life in Hungary, the country that produced THE operetta composers, Franz Lehar and Emerich Kalman, the country where kids grow up singing and doodling and whistling melodies dreamed up by these two musical geniuses, and I say that with no disrespect to Strauss, Zeller, Offenbach, Stoltz, Millocker and many others who are probably unknown to you.

Also unknown to you the operetta that is spoken and sung in that mysterious and wonderful language, Hungarian. You have no idea what you are missing.

I agree with you about musicals of today not measuring up to the musicals of years past.

Only, you have no idea in the world whether or not I have already sung roles in Mudyar, or not.....

:D

Forum List

Back