Open carry versus concealed carry

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
I think conceal carry is best.

Say you and your neighbor don't like each other. One day you're out mowing the lawn with your Glock 19 9mm on your hip.

Your neighbor walks up, pulls a gun and shoots you dead. He then takes a handkerchief and removes your gun from your holster and lays it next to you.

Perfect murder?

Or you could have people saying he was open carrying, I believed he was going to shoot me. And they get off because of self-defense, even though the conflict was 100% their fault.

A third problem happens when suicidal kooks who want to die come up to you and threaten you, hoping you'll use your open carry gun to shoot them dead.

When you conceal carry, you avoid all these problems. Others can't see that you're armed.

Let's say that an asteroid was forecast to hit the Earth and you only had a six-day supply of your favorite brown sugar. You then realize that the rake in your backyard is not the right color of green.

So, you decide to put a gun on your hip and go out to mow the lawn.

The whole problem with people working so hard to make up scenarios from their own fears is that the scenes in their heads get more and more ludicrous. This is called the, "What if" syndrome.

Everyone can make up all kinds of situations in which their fantasy fits their bias and they then use that to justify why they want to take away someone's rights.

So, put the cotton candy on your head take your hand out of your pants, and don't worry about who is concealed carry and who is open carry. If you're not being a dick, people generally leave you alone.

I think conceal carry is best.

Say you and your neighbor don't like each other. One day you're out mowing the lawn with your Glock 19 9mm on your hip.

Your neighbor walks up, pulls a gun and shoots you dead. He then takes a handkerchief and removes your gun from your holster and lays it next to you.

Perfect murder?

Or you could have people saying he was open carrying, I believed he was going to shoot me. And they get off because of self-defense, even though the conflict was 100% their fault.

A third problem happens when suicidal kooks who want to die come up to you and threaten you, hoping you'll use your open carry gun to shoot them dead.

When you conceal carry, you avoid all these problems. Others can't see that you're armed.

You watch too much TV.

Let's say that an asteroid was forecast to hit the Earth and you only had a six-day supply of your favorite brown sugar. You then realize that the rake in your backyard is not the right color of green.

So, you decide to put a gun on your hip and go out to mow the lawn.

The whole problem with people working so hard to make up scenarios from their own fears is that the scenes in their heads get more and more ludicrous. This is called the, "What if" syndrome.

Everyone can make up all kinds of situations in which their fantasy fits their bias and they then use that to justify why they want to take away someone's rights.

So, put the cotton candy on your head take your hand out of your pants, and don't worry about who is concealed carry and who is open carry. If you're not being a dick, people generally leave you alone.

Never going to happen in our lifetimes.

Seeing people with open carry doesn't bother me I grew up rural and seeing firearms on someone's hip or on the truck gun rack is normal to me but not to others. In my hometown of Orlando, I was pulled over by police officer asking to maybe take my guns off the gunrack and put them out of sight. They had a number of 911 calls people in the cars calling them all upset seeing my firearms. We both had laughed when the cars came by with people on cell phones who were following me and calling in. So my home town has changed as also the people in it so I still conceal carry but keep my long guns out of sight.

Seeing people with open carry doesn't bother me I grew up rural and seeing firearms on someone's hip or on the truck gun rack is normal to me but not to others. In my hometown of Orlando, I was pulled over by police officer asking to maybe take my guns off the gunrack and put them out of sight. They had a number of 911 calls people in the cars calling them all upset seeing my firearms. We both had laughed when the cars came by with people on cell phones who were following me and calling in. So my home town has changed as also the people in it so I still conceal carry but keep my long guns out of sight.

That's about how it is around here too.

Plus, if you have your guns in a gunrack, your pickup is just a big target for gun theft.

No gun is always better than a hidden gun or a visible gun. Allow the burglar to take what he needs and save the lives of a wife and children.

In 99.9% of home burglaries the intention isn't to commit murder.
Murder occurs when the resident is home at the time and the burglar doesn't want to be identified. When at home have a gun and a plan.

When I was a kid we used to take our guns ('cased' of course) on the city bus. No one paid any attention.

Murder occurs when the resident is home at the time and the burglar doesn't want to be identified. When at home have a gun and a plan.
The homeowner death statistics don't bear that out. Home burglaries in Canada most often by far don't end in death.

No guns or fewer guns is always preferable to more guns from my perspective as a Canadian. I appreciate that most Americans don't agree. My relatives living in America don't all agree with me either, but some do.

Forum List

Back