Once more with feeling- throw in a little intellectual honesty for grins and giggles

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Do governors have the right to decide which activities are essential?

During the past month, as Americans have been terrified of the coronavirus, another demon has been lurking ready to pounce. It is a demon of our own creation. It is the now amply manifested inability of elected officials to resist the temptation of totalitarianism. And it is slowly bringing about the death of personal liberty in our once free society.

It is one thing for public officials to use a bully pulpit to educate and even intimidate the populace into a prudent awareness of basic sanitary behaviors — even those which go against our nature — to impede the spread of COVID-19. It is quite another to contend that their suggestions and intimidations and guidelines somehow have the force of the law behind them.

They don’t

Essential definition: absolutely necessary; extremely important.

We have devolved to letting elected servants determine what is extremely important- one size fits all, Right?!

To me, they, the servants, are non-essential. Stopping their wages seems prudent.
They should have to get real jobs or live off what they've accumulated in their financially rewarding careers.

1587075870723.png

Define essential.

There are many different opinions on what people consider essential.

Here's the...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

...you requested in the title.

Last edited:

During the past month, as Americans have been terrified of the coronavirus, another demon has been lurking ready to pounce. It is a demon of our own creation. It is the now amply manifested inability of elected officials to resist the temptation of totalitarianism. And it is slowly bringing about the death of personal liberty in our once free society.

It is one thing for public officials to use a bully pulpit to educate and even intimidate the populace into a prudent awareness of basic sanitary behaviors — even those which go against our nature — to impede the spread of COVID-19. It is quite another to contend that their suggestions and intimidations and guidelines somehow have the force of the law behind them.

They don’t

We have devolved to letting elected servants determine what is extremely important- one size fits all, Right?!

To me, they, the servants, are non-essential. Stopping their wages seems prudent.
They should have to get real jobs or live off what they've accumulated in their financially rewarding careers.

Strange that this screed notably and completely leaves out that Governors are charged with the security and well-being of their state.

"These “orders” — stay at home, close your business, don’t run in the park, don’t go to Mass, practice social distancing — are not laws that can carry a criminal penalty for violation. They are guidelines, without the force of law. A governor or mayor can no more craft a law and assign a punishment for its noncompliance than the courts could command the military or police."

Courts as a general rule don't interfere with the legislature's roll to enact laws ... including laws that allow special powers be given to the governor during times of emergency ... the legislature understands that they can be slow to enact these special rules, days if not weeks to craft a bill both houses can agree on and get the governor's signature ... and some states have built-in delays on any legislation enacted to allow We the People to get an initiative petition circulated and these matters brought to a direct vote next election ...

If a tornado has ripped up three counties or a hurricane destroys 100 miles of beach front ... waiting 6 months for the government to act is a waste ... so the governor is allowed to declare a state-of-emergency to get whatever needs to be done in a timely manner ... if the governor abuses these powers, the legislature can take them away ... and I think they should, in the aftermath of this extended lock-down, We the People need to take a hard look at what we're doing right now and decide if this is the best way to deal with a pandemic ...

Yes ... dig around and you'll find the Law that allows the governor to do these things in most if not all states ...

Define essential.

The same folks that tell me 'we're all in this together' and are paid from our tax dollars have declared all new construction in my state non-essential

IE~ the government has the worker ant locked down, while being paid by them

This was, as it is in all states, the governors call , who ironically used to be one of us in ours

My peers are being thrown off jobs here, and any 'relief' they offer is beyond a joke

We've little choice but to find work, or not exist.

So.....today i'm standing on a job site, very visible down town, excavator demo'g an old structure filling a dumpster

6 of us stood outside, all tradesmen , cops rode by.....appeared like they wanted to stop....we grew silent......but they continued on...(we are now fine-able offenders)

maybe they just didn't feel like doing their jobs? maybe they had a shred of sympathy ? maybe they felt we weren't worth it? maybe our open carry got to them?

my mind rolled off the list of freedoms we had last month, that are all compromised now

who to blame?

~S~

• Banned
Strange that this screed notably and completely leaves out that Governors are charged with the security and well-being of their state.
Strange you believe that security and well being isn't open to interpretation- security: he state of being free from danger or threat.

How is threatening everyone's livelihood who isn't deemed "essential" securing anything other than a perceived authority?
Well being is up to the person being secured- one size does not fit all.
Like I said. IMO, servants are not "essential" so their wages should be withheld to help pay for the lack of employment their lack of a cognizant thought process created- which is NOT in their purview or realm of authority- and their oath they swear in the affirmative (at least at the fed level) to- is to the best of their ability- if what we're seeing is their best they should all be quarantined, without pay, until they get a real job creating vs confiscating wealth-

• Banned
No matter what excuse is used to justify, essential is determined by the actor, not an outsider.
The outsider is also not costing just the actor, but all those down stream and up stream who rely on the actors ability to purchase goods and services. It doesn't just affect, or have an effect on a few, but an entire chain that goes both ways- all the way up to the wages the servants are paid. Therefore, it stands to reason, using logic, their wages should be suspended as an "extreme emergency" measure.

Strange you believe that security and well being isn't open to interpretation- security: he state of being free from danger or threat.

How is threatening everyone's livelihood who isn't deemed "essential" securing anything other than a perceived authority?
Well being is up to the person being secured- one size does not fit all.
Like I said. IMO, servants are not "essential" so their wages should be withheld to help pay for the lack of employment their lack of a cognizant thought process created- which is NOT in their purview or realm of authority- and their oath they swear in the affirmative (at least at the fed level) to- is to the best of their ability- if what we're seeing is their best they should all be quarantined, without pay, until they get a real job creating vs confiscating wealth-

I never said it wasn't open to interpretation --- I said it wasn't mentioned.

Does or does not a Governor assume with the office the responsibility of the safety and security of his state's citizens?

If he/she does not --------------- who does?

They don’t

there are many levels to consider,,,
first off people are responsible fr themselves in america and they determine what is essential to them,

2nd is as most business's are a creation of the state in which they reside, the governors do have the power to shut them down for many reasons and this pandemic can be considered reasonable to do that,,,some but not all,,,mainly the ones that create large close gatherings of people like restaurants and bars,,and because office buildings are now closed off eco systems they can and should be included,,,

3rd is most government jobs are non essential and should have been shut down early into this crisis,

anything else said by a governor is just a suggestion and has no power over a free people,,,

my hope is this teachs people that governments cant help you they can only hurt you and the responsibility falls on the individual for survival,,,

Does or does not a Governor assume with the office the responsibility of the safety and security of his state's citizens?
Assume= ass u me- never assume anything- they, I guess, take an oath of office, which refers, I'm pretty sure, to their states constitution- and, IF it mirrors fed office, they swear in the affirmative, to defend and protect that constitution- IF they ass u me an authority, not "granted" (a specific privilege) they are abusing their granted (a specific privilege) authority.
The fed gov't's authority is reasoned out in the pre amble to the US constitution- the authority to assume isn't a part of it. I would imagine state constitutions are similar. If not, I stand corrected. Otherwise they are usurping their authority (specific privilege) by assuming-
Never assume anything.

Assume= ass u me- never assume anything- they, I guess, take an oath of office, which refers, I'm pretty sure, to their states constitution- and, IF it mirrors fed office, they swear in the affirmative, to defend and protect that constitution- IF they ass u me an authority, not "granted" (a specific privilege) they are abusing their granted (a specific privilege) authority.
The fed gov't's authority is reasoned out in the pre amble to the US constitution- the authority to assume isn't a part of it. I would imagine state constitutions are similar. If not, I stand corrected. Otherwise they are usurping their authority (specific privilege) by assuming-
Never assume anything.

Are you unaware of that sense of the word assume, really?

Definition of assume

transitive verb
1a: to take to or upon oneself : UNDERTAKE assume responsibility
b: to place oneself in assume a position​

2: SEIZE, USURP assume control

3: to pretend to have or be : FEIGN assumed an air of confidence in spite of her nervousness

4: to take as granted or true : SUPPOSE assume he'll be there.

5: to take over (the debts of another) as one's own

6: PUT ON, DON Mrs. Fairfax assumed her best black satin gown, her gloves, and her gold watch.— Charlotte Brontë

7a: to take up or in : RECEIVE
b: to take into partnership, employment, or use

Define essential.
Didn't read my post? I gave the definition.

1587081489757.png

I did... What if I feel booze, hookers, and rock & roll, are the only essentials in life?

Wouldn't that mean the only buinesses that need to be open are the ABC stores, hotels, and music shops.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:
I have been around a long time but I never thought I would see the day when state governors assumed the power to issue executive orders that usurped the Constitution. These are crazy times. It's fine to remind people of their obligation to stay healthy but when you add penalty for conduct that has been legal and proper since the freaking Declaration of Independence, you are treading on the snake. The odd thing is that lefties seem to be enjoying it way more than normal people.

Forum List

Back