Once again dems talk about mileage( movement) taxes

frankly i can't believe there are states that don't do vehicle inspections. seems crazy unsafe to just allow anything with wheels and a motor on the road.

Keep on believing - Your New Messiah is counting on it.

Meanwhile, there is also at least one state where, once you're over 65, vehicle registration is free and the certificate issues never has to be renewed. Only thing is you have to remember to keep your plates and notify DMV if you sell or trade the permanently registered vehicle.

No, I'm not going to tell you which state or states. If you're interested enough a web search will tell you but I'm not going to encourage you to migrate.
i guess you misunderstand me. I believe the states exist, i just can't believe they're that stupid.

Fair enough. I believe the reason on the inspection part is that there are huge rural areas where there are no facilities and it would be prohibitively expensive to set them up. In such places there are no "gas stations" - fuel is delivered a few times a year and deposited in sizable storage tanks on site. In some of the states it's partial - inspections are required in population centers but not in the outback.

I think this is is a horrible idea, and I am a Democrat....

It defeats the purpose of polluting less, entirely.

see, but if they don't discuss ideas and just rant about democrats and/or liberals and/or progressives, they don't actually have to think.

Not a surprising response from someone who refers to themselves as a princess.
For once, try engaging in the discussion.

The way it WILL work:

1. A mileage tax with very expensive mandatory equipment added to each vehicle not only to keep track of mileage but also to keep track of your movements. Supposedly dedicated to highway construction/maintenance but all of that contracted out to the bidder who pledges the highest percentage to Democrat campaigns.

2. The present fuel taxes will remain or, perhaps, increase. Purely punitive to try to force you, through double taxation, to buy an electric putter-about car with limited range.

Of course all of this would be possible only with a Democrat majority in both houses and a president even slightly less leftist than the present poseur.

see, but if they don't discuss ideas and just rant about democrats and/or liberals and/or progressives, they don't actually have to think.

And as it turns out, you don't have to think either. I've never read any original thought from you. Why is that?

Here's my thought on movement taxes - it's too much of a government intrusion to track everyone and it disincentivizes conservation measures. I like the idea of national toll roads while getting rid of the federal gasoline tax. Tap energy consumption locally for local roads. I really like the idea of peak pricing for toll roads too. Supply and demand work well for efficient funding of government operations if it's properly managed.

I have little sympathy for those who drive on toll roads to and from work and then complain that it's unaffordable. If it's unaffordable for you to drive 45 miles to work, move! If you can't afford to move, then find a job closer to you that gives you a sustainable lifestyle. Maybe you'll have to drive a less expensive car or not get the 3rd bounce house for your kid's birthday party.

That said, the price needs to be reasonable and pricing for frequent drivers should be tiered accordingly, as are most business consumption relationships (like the Post Office and court records).

why wouldn't they just record your odometer when you have a vehicle inspection done?

Effective in states having an inspection program. Some do not. Of course this would represent an opportunity to attack unemployment by hiring a herd of new federal bureaucrats and setting up inspection stations in thousands of places.

frankly i can't believe there are states that don't do vehicle inspections. seems crazy unsafe to just allow anything with wheels and a motor on the road.

Why do you assume that just because nobody inspects my car regularly that it's "crazy unsafe?" There are still minimum standards and safety rules. Local police enforce those laws. If my car is outside of the law, I'll be held accountable. There's no reason for another bureaucrat to get involved.

Now in larger cities the inspection process is intended to correctly keep tabs on emission standards and that's an environmental issue I support (some places do it well and other places take bribes).

What I see with your assumption is that you have a "mother may I" perspective to living. My perspective is to assume people are living well and lawfully until evidence is presented otherwise.

our tax dollars don't go as far as they used to, and our cars go farther on a gallon of gas than they used to. sure we could increase the gas tax, but eventually we'd end up in the same spot as alternatives to gas become more prevalent. a usage tax seems the only long term solution.

How can this be done without compromising privacy?

Meanwhile, there is also at least one state where, once you're over 65, vehicle registration is free and the certificate issues never has to be renewed. Only thing is you have to remember to keep your plates and notify DMV if you sell or trade the permanently registered vehicle.

No, I'm not going to tell you which state or states. If you're interested enough a web search will tell you but I'm not going to encourage you to migrate.
i guess you misunderstand me. I believe the states exist, i just can't believe they're that stupid.

What's the use of requiring an inspection in Salinas, CA if I can fail the inspection and bribe the guy across the street?

It's quite common.

I can understand how the gvt may be getting less transportation taxes collected due to people having fuel efficient cars....but I do feel the transportation budget has many things in it that should never be in it....such as building a statue for the god Thor in Alabama, or a bridge to nowhere in Alaska, and even the enormous amounts for the Big Dig in Boston...I could see funding it some, but to the degree that it did might have been excessive.....

There are many ways to improve the transportation budget as it stands, just by cutting some of it's unnecessary spending.

And since our roads and bridges are in such disrepair, we need to fix them....not just for drivers that drive on them, but for the whole nation who relies on our interstate highways for their own jobs to even exist and the food on their table to even exist.....even if they take the train to work....

so, if additional tax monies are needed, I personally think it should come out of the general fund and they should cut other spending to pay for it....

I don't know if that is realistic or not....?

All of the projects you mentioned above are perfect examples of Pork barrel spending.
It does not matter which state.
West Virginia has arguably the best road system in the nation. Courtesy of Sen Jay Rockefeller.

why wouldn't they just record your odometer when you have a vehicle inspection done?

Effective in states having an inspection program. Some do not. Of course this would represent an opportunity to attack unemployment by hiring a herd of new federal bureaucrats and setting up inspection stations in thousands of places.

our tax dollars don't go as far as they used to, and our cars go farther on a gallon of gas than they used to. sure we could increase the gas tax, but eventually we'd end up in the same spot as alternatives to gas become more prevalent. a usage tax seems the only long term solution.

You can explain then why we get punished for using less fuel...
That's your homework assignment.

Safety inspections are cursory at best.

didn't i just? a dollar doesn't go as far as it used to - we last raised the federal tax in 1993 - and we're putting more miles on the road per gallon of gas we're using. the roads don't care how many miles you get per gallon, it just matters how many tires drive over them. with more efficient cars the ratio of tax dollars to road miles is lower than with less efficient cars.

didn't i just? a dollar doesn't go as far as it used to - we last raised the federal tax in 1993 - and we're putting more miles on the road per gallon of gas we're using. the roads don't care how many miles you get per gallon, it just matters how many tires drive over them. with more efficient cars the ratio of tax dollars to road miles is lower than with less efficient cars.

Actually, it's tires and weight. Fuel efficient cars tend to weigh less so the proportional cost per car evens out.

My little BMW doesn't cause as much wear as the GM Suburban, and the Prius causes even less wear.

Some democrats fearing they will get caught with their hand in the highway trust fund cookie jar are talking mileage taxes again.
The Idea That Won?t Die: How Taxing Cars by the Mile is Back on the Agenda Again | TheBlaze.com

The federal government is using this to double tax us. I would expect the movement tax would be in addition to the existing federal gas tax. Rather than instead of it.
I would also suspect this is just another method beside the requirement that cell phones must have GPS technology installed, to track our whereabouts.

if that is the case everyone including bicycles and joggers should be hit

with the users tax

The way it WILL work:

1. A mileage tax with very expensive mandatory equipment added to each vehicle not only to keep track of mileage but also to keep track of your movements. Supposedly dedicated to highway construction/maintenance but all of that contracted out to the bidder who pledges the highest percentage to Democrat campaigns.

2. The present fuel taxes will remain or, perhaps, increase. Purely punitive to try to force you, through double taxation, to buy an electric putter-about car with limited range.

Of course all of this would be possible only with a Democrat majority in both houses and a president even slightly less leftist than the present poseur.

A mileage tax

unconstitutional

Some democrats fearing they will get caught with their hand in the highway trust fund cookie jar are talking mileage taxes again.
The Idea That Won?t Die: How Taxing Cars by the Mile is Back on the Agenda Again | TheBlaze.com

The federal government is using this to double tax us. I would expect the movement tax would be in addition to the existing federal gas tax. Rather than instead of it.
I would also suspect this is just another method beside the requirement that cell phones must have GPS technology installed, to track our whereabouts.

Gee, no love for the low income people who have to drive a ways to their minimum wage jobs. Sons of bitches just look for more ways to take a hit at the little people. Most people I know drive an hour one way to get to work. In the Midwest, there are lots of small towns and people drive to the nearest cities to work. That would seriously hurt people, but then everything else this administration has done was painful to the average person, so we may as well get used to this kind of abuse. Such is life under an oppressive regime.

Hidden, the cost of having a transmitting GPS in every vehicle. Concealed in the price of a new vehicle (if anyone can afford one) and later as a mandatory add-on. Don't want one? Probably a scheme where you don't have to have one if you pay some gigantic flat fee annually.

But won't you just love having government tracking your every movement just as they track your every e-mail, phone call and blog post?

Takes me 5 minutes do disconnect the odometer in my truck!

At least one state lets ANY vehicle 10+ years old be permanently registered. Many others (offhand: Nebraska, Indiana, Oregon, and Arizona) have permanent plates for semi tractors and/or trailers.

Another TAX....Hey why not! Americans are just making money hands over fist now.

They can't make do on the taxes these fuckers already collect so they need more revenue.
Then if they get their way on
Hike in minimum wage. ( We get to pay more for stuff)
The Cap and Tax goes into effect ( We get to pay more on our utilities)
Now we can pay just a bit more to travel....

And what happens when they get the money to maintain the roads which they already have a fund for?Any doubt they will blow through that and then will raise the fee whenever a Lib wants
more money to spend.

The problem with movement taxes is that it cannot tax all movement without incredible oppression. If you tax cars and people start taking the bus or a train you have to raise taxes on the fares. This completely lets those who walk or bicycle off the hook. They get to use the sidewalks and roads absolutely free. Now property taxes have to be raised and rent taxed. An annual bicycle fee might be necessary. The quest to tax everything will never end.

Forum List

Back