Old Guard

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
The Old Guard, a superhero movie on Netflix is about a group of immortal warriors. Like so many superhero movies, it's based on a comic book of the same name. There is lots of action that is well choreographed, and there is an ample supply of blood and guts. The story is different from most superhero movies in that not everything has to be at the cost of the entire world as in so many action films these days. Charlize Theron does good job as leader of this immortal group but you'll hardly recognize her.

If you like superhero movies with lots of action with a decent story this one will not disappoint. Apparently a lot of people really liked the movie because Old Guard 2 is coming to Netflix in August.

The action was good. Charlize Theron is excellent. They various locations were very nice and striking.

The woke elements were very clunky and distracting. The end reveal was a little light on impact, though I agree with flopper that it is nice that "saving the world" was not on the table.

The Irish movie "The Guard" with Brendan Gleason is ten times more entertaining for people who still have the ability to think instead of watching action figures kill each other in digital junk.

I'm so bored with superheroes.

The only solution the moron class can come up with for any problem is magic powers. They have utterly no imagination.
Years ago, I stopping paying money to see super hero movies.
The first major superhero movie Superman (1978) with Christopher Reeves was a fun movie, exiting, funny, and torching at times. From that point on super hero movies went down hill with only a few exceptions. Hollywood seem determine to resurrect every hero who dawn the pages of Marvel and Dell comics. After they had finished with every character worth using, they started creating them.

I have always wondered why audiences love superheroes so much that they would pay a hundred million dollars a year to watch them.

The Irish movie "The Guard" with Brendan Gleason is ten times more entertaining for people who still have the ability to think instead of watching action figures kill each other in digital junk.

Watched the trailer, that does look good.

The action was good. Charlize Theron is excellent. They various locations were very nice and striking.

The woke elements were very clunky and distracting. The end reveal was a little light on impact, though I agree with flopper that it is nice that "saving the world" was not on the table.

Just as long as we can all agree that real world problems are solved not by hard work, perseverance and honor, but by magic superpowers!

Just as long as we can all agree that real world problems are solved not by hard work, perseverance and honor, but by magic superpowers!

The Golden Age of comics was from 38 to 56. I think that generation proved that they understand hard work and sacrifice.

People who really want to get things done, are happy to imagine having help. It is coddled weak immature people who think it is about getting credit for the job, or being able to do it, "all by their own self".

Exactly what are woke elements? I google it and it seem to have something to do with identity and race.

Last edited:
Exactly what are woke elements? I google it and it seem to have something to do with identity and race.

The homosexual love affair between the two immortals for one. Very woke. Added nothing to the story.

Though I guess I should be glad that the new black immortal didn't have to deal with sexist or wacist superiors in the short time we saw her in the army.

The homosexual love affair between the two immortals for one. Very woke. Added nothing to the story.

Though I guess I should be glad that the new black immortal didn't have to deal with sexist or wacist superiors in the short time we saw her in the army.
Our two immortal lovers do add to the story because they add the only love interest in the story, eternal love.

Actually the scene with Joe and Nicky added a lot to the movie. It you bothered to listen to the dialog rather stewing over the kiss, you would understand that.

While transporting them to the lab where scientists plan to poke, prod, and experiment on them, a security guard mocks Joe and Nicky, asking if they’re boyfriends.

“You’re a child,” Joe snaps back. “He’s not my boyfriend. This man is more to me than you can dream. He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold. And his kiss still thrills me even after a millennium. His heart overflows with a kindness of which this world is not worthy. I love this man beyond measure and reason. He’s not my boyfriend. He is all, and he is more.” Joe's statement adds eternal love to a plot line that focused on eternal conflict.

The 2nd time you watch it it gets very boring.
A good movie you can watch several times, at least once a year.

The 2nd time you watch it it gets very boring.
A good movie you can watch several times, at least once a year.
For me the movie has to be more than good to watch it more once. However, movies I really love, I can watch over and over.

Our two immortal lovers do add to the story because they add the only love interest in the story, eternal love.

And it could not be the far more likely man and woman because...?

Hint" Rhymes with "hollywood has an agenda and they are propaganda pushing assholes".

Actually the scene with Joe and Nicky added a lot to the movie. It you bothered to listen to the dialog rather stewing over the kiss, you would understand that.

While transporting them to the lab where scientists plan to poke, prod, and experiment on them, a security guard mocks Joe and Nicky, asking if they’re boyfriends.

“You’re a child,” Joe snaps back. “He’s not my boyfriend. This man is more to me than you can dream. He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold. And his kiss still thrills me even after a millennium. His heart overflows with a kindness of which this world is not worthy. I love this man beyond measure and reason. He’s not my boyfriend. He is all, and he is more.” Joe's statement adds eternal love to a plot line that focused on eternal conflict.

Stewing? I made a slight reference to it, you asked follow up questions. Did you forget that?

And it could not be the far more likely man and woman because...?

Hint" Rhymes with "hollywood has an agenda and they are propaganda pushing assholes".
Why? Because it made the movie a lot more that just the typically superheroes slaughtering bad guys. The message of the movie was about what we do with our limited time we have here. Adding the two gay immortal lovers added eternal love to the theme of the movie. Joe's putdown of the guard and his declaration of eternal love was a highlight of the movie. However, I would not expect you to recognize that because it's just woke to you or is that wokey or maybe just some wokeyness. I'm really beginning to love that word. It so flexible.

BTW The sequel is expect in August of this year so maybe you can give us some more wokey comments.

Last edited:
Why? Because it made the movie a lot more that just the typically superheroes slaughtering bad guys. The message of the movie was about what we do with our limited time we have here. Adding the two gay immortal lovers added eternal love to the theme of the movie. Joe's putdown of the guard and his declaration of eternal love was a highlight of the movie. However, I would not expect you to recognize that because it's just woke to you or is that wokey or maybe just some wokeyness. I'm really beginning to love that word. It so flexible.

BTW The sequel is expect in August of this year so maybe you can give us some more wokey comments.

You said nothing about my actual question, as to why not the far more likely man and woman.

id nothing about my actual question,
Simply because it does not fit into the story. The writers could have written the story with a female, Josephine instead of Joe and then we would have Josephine declaring her undying love as the two lovers faced unspeakable horrors. Such a trite well worn scene would have certainly drawn a ho-hum from the audience and rebuke from the critics.

No, the writers scored a winner with this somewhat shocking tender scene and a good put down for the guard. However, I'm sure there will be a censored version for Christians who enjoy sexless films of mass murder of bad guys.

Simply because it does not fit into the story. The writers could have written the story with a female, Josephine instead of Joe and then we would have Josephine declaring her undying love as the two lovers faced unspeakable horrors. Such a trite well worn scene would have certainly drawn a ho-hum from the audience and rebuke from the critics.

No, the writers scored a winner with this somewhat shocking tender scene and a good put down for the guard. However, I'm sure there will be a censored version for Christians who enjoy sexless films of mass murder of bad guys.

Why would it be "Trite" coming from a woman, while it is "tender" coming from a man?

Forum List

Back