Oklahoma bill would force drunk drivers who kill parents to pay child support

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Drunk drivers in Oklahoma could soon find themselves on the hook for child support payments if they kill a parent in a DUI crash.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed House Bill 2130 this week which would allow courts to include child support for minors into the sentence for a DUI accident, KTUL-TV reported.

The measure passed by a vote of 83-11 and will now head to the Republican controlled Oklahoma Senate.

The bill is known as "Bentley’s Law" which first passed in Missouri after a push from a woman named Cecilia Williams whose grandson Bentley lost his parents to a drunk driving crash.

"This, to me, seems like a legitimate solution for us to support Oklahoma children who are too often left behind," Jerod Breit, Mothers Against Drunk Driving’s regional executive director, told the outlet.

"Bentley’s Law better ensures justice and accountability. MADD believes that passing Bentley’s Law will make people think twice before getting behind the wheel impaired."

Some have raised concerns about the ability of people in jail or prison to pay child support which Breit said is a concern that should make potential drunk drivers think twice.

"That’s a question for the offenders," Breit said. "At the end of the day, we hope that question alone makes people think twice about getting behind the wheel of a car impaired."

Republican State Rep. John George, who authored the bill, said on the House floor that "anytime you can prevent" drunk driving it’s a "great thing" and if you can’t prevent it this bill can still "give some kind of benefit to the victim’s family."

Uhhhm... If this is such a good idea, why wouldn't it apply to any murderer of a parent?

Then there's texting while driving, driving high on the weed, or any of the other distractions drivers do every-single-day......I guess MADD is not concerned about that.

Won't work well. Poor drunks dont have money. Only rich drunks will be "taxed" so to speak.

If in prison the poor can't make money?

Last edited:

Drunk drivers in Oklahoma could soon find themselves on the hook for child support payments if they kill a parent in a DUI crash.

The Oklahoma House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed House Bill 2130 this week which would allow courts to include child support for minors into the sentence for a DUI accident, KTUL-TV reported.

The measure passed by a vote of 83-11 and will now head to the Republican controlled Oklahoma Senate.

The bill is known as "Bentley’s Law" which first passed in Missouri after a push from a woman named Cecilia Williams whose grandson Bentley lost his parents to a drunk driving crash.

"This, to me, seems like a legitimate solution for us to support Oklahoma children who are too often left behind," Jerod Breit, Mothers Against Drunk Driving’s regional executive director, told the outlet.

"Bentley’s Law better ensures justice and accountability. MADD believes that passing Bentley’s Law will make people think twice before getting behind the wheel impaired."

Some have raised concerns about the ability of people in jail or prison to pay child support which Breit said is a concern that should make potential drunk drivers think twice.

"That’s a question for the offenders," Breit said. "At the end of the day, we hope that question alone makes people think twice about getting behind the wheel of a car impaired."

Republican State Rep. John George, who authored the bill, said on the House floor that "anytime you can prevent" drunk driving it’s a "great thing" and if you can’t prevent it this bill can still "give some kind of benefit to the victim’s family."

Uhhhm... If this is such a good idea, why wouldn't it apply to any murderer of a parent?

Then there's texting while driving, driving high on the weed, or any of the other distractions drivers do every-single-day......I guess MADD is not concerned about that.

What about property damage?
Pet deaths?
General death and danger to the public??

200w.gif

My (small L) Libertarian side sorta cringes at the whole idea.
Really?

Every libertarian has an individual approach to the philosophy, as the philosophy itself encourages, so I'm not disaparaging you.

My version of libertiranism has civil courts able to award damages for negligent and reckless acts (though not so sure about punitive damages), and child support payments to cover the support lost to a child by their parent's death seems a good example of that.

Really?

Every libertarian has an individual approach to the philosophy, as the philosophy itself encourages, so I'm not disaparaging you.

My version of libertiranism has civil courts able to award damages for negligent and reckless acts (though not so sure about punitive damages), and child support payments to cover the support lost to a child by their parent's death seems a good example of that.
I get it. I just have a big problem will .orgs like MADD lobbying for one aspect of a issue.

I get it. I just have a big problem will .orgs like MADD lobbying for one aspect of a issue.

In that case, you can join my organization, DDAMM, Drunk Drivers Against Mad Mothers. We have regular schedule meetings in the lounge during happy hour.

How are they going to pay this while in prison for vehicular manslaughter? Is a portion of the two dollars a day for work crews going to help the kid?

Looks good on paper but people who do that and get convicted get significant jail sentences, so they don't have money and are not working.

Looks good on paper but people who do that and get convicted get significant jail sentences, so they don't have money and are not working.

I don't see very many decent laws coming out of Red States at this time. Maybe after the decent Republicans get back in power and run off the nutcases will the Republicans finally start governing again.

I don't see very many decent laws coming out of Red States at this time. Maybe after the decent Republicans get back in power and run off the nutcases will the Republicans finally start governing again.
It's not a bad law if money can be shifted to taking care of kids who parents were killed. All of the good legislation is coming from Red states. The Blue states are a Marxist mess.

It's not a bad law if money can be shifted to taking care of kids who parents were killed. All of the good legislation is coming from Red states. The Blue states are a Marxist mess.

Ok. To pay the Child Support the individual has to be making. You know. Money. Child Support is based on a percentage of income.

Now. Stay with me Scooter. The Criminal Penalty for causing a death while driving drunk is usually Manslaughter in some form. The penalty for that is usually five to fifteen years.

Now while in Prison the person paying Child Support isn’t going to be making much if any money. A few dollars a day is the norm for those on work gangs. Let’s say the individual is making five dollars a day. Even if you want him to pay twenty percent, that is one lousy dollar a day.

Twenty dollars a month isn’t going to be a lot of help is it? Now maybe the kid is under 18 when the crook gets out of prison. But even then chances are he won’t be making much above minimum wage. Most Ex-Cons get menial labor jobs. They don’t pay much money. Again. Junior won’t be getting a lot of cash for the loss of his parents.

This is feel good legislation. It makes the idiots passing and supporting it feel good. But the only way it can work is if you decriminalize the death and let the drunk keep working. Presuming he has a good high paying job, in order to pay.

Ok. To pay the Child Support the individual has to be making. You know. Money. Child Support is based on a percentage of income.

Now. Stay with me Scooter. The Criminal Penalty for causing a death while driving drunk is usually Manslaughter in some form. The penalty for that is usually five to fifteen years.

Now while in Prison the person paying Child Support isn’t going to be making much if any money. A few dollars a day is the norm for those on work gangs. Let’s say the individual is making five dollars a day. Even if you want him to pay twenty percent, that is one lousy dollar a day.

Twenty dollars a month isn’t going to be a lot of help is it? Now maybe the kid is under 18 when the crook gets out of prison. But even then chances are he won’t be making much above minimum wage. Most Ex-Cons get menial labor jobs. They don’t pay much money. Again. Junior won’t be getting a lot of cash for the loss of his parents.

This is feel good legislation. It makes the idiots passing and supporting it feel good. But the only way it can work is if you decriminalize the death and let the drunk keep working. Presuming he has a good high paying job, in order to pay.
The perp might have money in the bank though, scooter.

The perp might have money in the bank though, scooter.

Child Support is paid monthly as a basis of income. People incarcerated don’t tend to have much in the way of income. Money already in the bank would be awarded as part of a lawsuit. Litigation in that case would take years and before the jury awarded anything the money would be gone from legal fees. And the Drunk would have future earnings attached, but again there wouldn’t be much of anything there to get.

This is a stupid idea. One that makes the law and order types feel good but doesn’t actually do anything.

Forum List

Back