Oil Embargo, 1973–1974

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014

Oil Embargo, 1973–1974​

During the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) imposed an embargo against the United States in retaliation for the U.S. decision to re-supply the Israeli military and to gain leverage in the post-war peace negotiations.
1646996616985.png

The average US retail price of a gallon of regular gasoline rose 43% from 38.5¢ in May 1973 to 55.1¢ in June 1974. State governments asked citizens not to put up Christmas lights. Oregon banned Christmas and commercial lighting altogether. Politicians called for a national gasoline rationing program. Nixon asked gasoline retailers to voluntarily not sell gasoline on Saturday nights or Sundays; 90% of gas station owners complied, which produced long lines of motorists wanting to fill up their cars while they still could.[46]
snip
Odd–even rationing allowed vehicles with license plates having an odd number as the last digit (or a vanity license plate) to buy gas only on odd-numbered days of the month, while others could buy only on even-numbered days.[61]
-------------------------------------------------
The congress even had designs for electric cars back then.

Some day we will run out.

That was the year i was licensed to drive

and so there i was, in long lines w/my first car

wondering wtf?

FF 1/2 century , and what's really changed???

~S~
I had just started driving myself.

Oil Embargo, 1973–1974​

During the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) imposed an embargo against the United States in retaliation for the U.S. decision to re-supply the Israeli military and to gain leverage in the post-war peace negotiations.
View attachment 613952

The average US retail price of a gallon of regular gasoline rose 43% from 38.5¢ in May 1973 to 55.1¢ in June 1974. State governments asked citizens not to put up Christmas lights. Oregon banned Christmas and commercial lighting altogether. Politicians called for a national gasoline rationing program. Nixon asked gasoline retailers to voluntarily not sell gasoline on Saturday nights or Sundays; 90% of gas station owners complied, which produced long lines of motorists wanting to fill up their cars while they still could.[46]
snip
Odd–even rationing allowed vehicles with license plates having an odd number as the last digit (or a vanity license plate) to buy gas only on odd-numbered days of the month, while others could buy only on even-numbered days.[61]

A time where other countries attacked us economically.

Now we are attacked by our fellow Americans and our own President.

Bidens Embargo on us started day one in office. Attacking us to Appease the Squad.

that-face-you-make-turning-point-usa-when-youre-nolonger-10704800.png

Oil Embargo, 1973–1974​

View attachment 613952

snip

You trying hard to cover for Biden, amusing. But it's not going to help you in November.

I used my three-speed bike with a lamp to transport myself during the energy crisis and never suffered for the worse. I now have an electric bike that cost me no more in gas than before.

Oil Embargo, 1973–1974​

View attachment 613952

snip

OPEC still provided fuel for Vietnam. I remember vividly. Frank Jungers was my neighbor sat with the Saudi king thru the negotiations. He's written about it. The whole thing was because of the Yom kippur war.

Don't you remember these events?
The price of gas effects everyone, especially minorities and your party is in complete control. All Biden would have to do is go back to Trump's energy policy. But he won't do it, so it's gonna cost you. Oh and wait for the price of food in a couple weeks. Millions will be suffering, thanks Biden.

The price of gas effects everyone, especially minorities and your party is in complete control. All Biden would have to do is go back to Trump's energy policy. But he won't do it, so it's gonna cost you. Oh and wait for the price of food in a couple weeks. Millions will be suffering, thanks Biden.
Trump had no energy policy. None.

Forum List

Back