oil and gas companies, spent $146.3 million on lobbying last year

I want to hear more about taxpayers "propping up" the industry.

Yank?

The budget President Obama submitted to Congress last month proposed repealing $3.6 billion in oil and gas subsidies – subsidies that come in the form of tax credits – in 2012. The White House estimates that repealing those tax credits would bring in $46 billion in revenue over the next 10 years.

No Apologies: Rep. Barton Defends Tax Breaks For Big Oil - The Note

That's $46 Billion, with a "B"...

Thanks for your reply. :thup:

I don't know where you get that $3.6 billion in "subsidies" figure, but as I have read it's at a minimum of $40 billion and as high as $90 billion in penalties.

$46 billion in revenue to the Treasury over 10 years? :cuckoo:

How much economic activity does the petroleum industry produce over that time period- it's in the trillions of dollars.

Firstly, the interviewer in that video is focusing on "Exxon/Mobil". What Barton fails to mention is that 80% of the wells drilled in this country are done so by independents and not major oil companies. But as he correctly points out, it's an issue of being treated equally under the tax code.

Why is the petroleum industry being singled out when other manufacturing/industrial sectors take advantage of similar non-taxed activities?

The "subsidies" to which you refer are items in the tax code that have been there for decades and, again, are afforded other industries as well.

This is a typical liberal witch hunt based on emotion and scare tactics and not on fact.
Obama and his cronies are out to stifle American enterprise, collect his booty, and plow it into his pipe-dream "green" initiatives.

$1.46 M

That's all?

The Obama Administration and Dems spent $700 BILLION bribing US Citizens.

"Vote for me and 95% of you will see more money in your paycheck."

Yeah - 16% more of us won't get a paycheck. The ones that get more will also have to spend more on everything. 80% of us come out losers. Government employees/retirees are the only winners.

Stop regulating their industries and then they will have no reason to spend money lobbying politicians.

This is one of the most naive things I have ever in my life read, and perhaps one of the dumbest, on so many levels. Sorry, but, you deserve that. You are saying, that they shouldn't have to spend money in order to bend regulations, which have been set their by precedent based upon repeated corporate behavior that jeopardize the well-being of the planet, eco-systems, the environment, and people, yet, "because I'm a republican, the only thing that matters are humans, and the world and everything else is ours to be had." Get real dude. Get real about people, about people in power, and what they would do if left unregulated. The damage to our earth would be so much greater than it already is. The audacity for you to say this after the disaster in the gulf is overwhelming.

The major impetus of oil industry lobbying is centered around the nearly $90 billion in taxes that Obama wants to levy on that industry. $147 million is cheap compared to the effects of Obama's proposed budget.

Like every other business, Oil companies do not pay taxes, they only collect them.

Those godamn oil companies and evil fucking lobbyists, trying to repeal limits on greenhouse gases? Are you kidding me? we should be trying to find ways to lessen our emissions on the atmosphere and trying to find ways to convert to more reponsible sources of energy... but no, the oil companies make too much money to possibly let them happen, so let them fuck over all of humanity by continuing to do what they do. AWESOME!! We really do want to destroy ourselves. Since when did we become a suicidal race?

Since the liberals started screaming and stopped thinking.

It is only because of oil that we are able to produce and distribute the food that prevents a world wide famine.

You imagine a problem and treat it like it's real and decide to eliminate the thing that prevents a real catastrophe. Brilliant!

I'd call you a name, but why bother when you are a Liberal. What else could I say?

Liberal all by itself means you don't understand the world or cause and effect or the lessons of history or the impact of actions on others or much of anything else. You have no grasp of basic math, the importance of accurate and honest promises, the need to fulfill you obligations, thrift, responsibility, self reliance or maturity.

Show me government controlled by Liberals and I'll show you a deficit in their budget.

Show a governmental budget with no deficit and I'll show you a government controlled by Conservatives.

So the massive oil leak in the Gulf was merely a minor oversight? Got it.
http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/20...rician-deepwater-fire-alarm-was-disabled.html
(I remember reading where an oil platform worker admitted that alarms on all of their rigs were purposely disabled because they might wake some one up in the middle of the night)

Tell that to the watermen and others in the Gulf who make their living off of the former natural beauty of the area. Last I heard, the marshes are still a fecking mess and that effects the spawning of certain species of sealife no? I think the true extent of the damage isn't known.

Last edited:
So the massive oil leak in the Gulf was merely a minor oversight? Got it.
Transocean Electrician: Deepwater Fire Alarm Was Disabled - Wrongful Death - Injured
(I remember reading where an oil platform worker admitted that alarms on all of their rigs were purposely disabled because they might wake some one up in the middle of the night)

Tell that to the watermen and others in the Gulf who make their living off of the former natural beauty of the area. Last I heard, the marshes are still a fecking mess and that effects the spawning of certain species of sealife no? I think the true extent of the damage isn't known.

Wow, you make oil sound really dangerous to our way of life. We better start drilling all over and pump every drop out of the ground before it kills us all...

This is one of the most naive things I have ever in my life read, and perhaps one of the dumbest, on so many levels. Sorry, but, you deserve that. You are saying, that they shouldn't have to spend money in order to bend regulations, which have been set their by precedent based upon repeated corporate behavior that jeopardize the well-being of the planet, eco-systems, the environment, and people, yet, "because I'm a republican, the only thing that matters are humans, and the world and everything else is ours to be had." Get real dude. Get real about people, about people in power, and what they would do if left unregulated. The damage to our earth would be so much greater than it already is. The audacity for you to say this after the disaster in the gulf is overwhelming.

The major impetus of oil industry lobbying is centered around the nearly $90 billion in taxes that Obama wants to levy on that industry. $147 million is cheap compared to the effects of Obama's proposed budget.

Why are we tax payers propping up the oil companies again?

The same reason we a "proping up" the Corn Industry

You could have been a little less dramatic about this and simply said anything with plastic or rubber contains oil. I know this. It doesn't change my position. Someday, we are going to have to change from oil. IT IS FINITE IN SUPPLY. What do you NOT UNDERSTAND about this? So, because it is HARD to swtich, we shouldn't do it? Because we rely on it so heavily, screw it? Fuck that! We have a responsiblity to this earth and future generations. Yeah, great, we will be fine while we are alive, but what about after we are gone? The Coming generations, the future of the global ecosystem. Your way of thinking is SO UNBELIEVABLY SELFISH! Hence, why republicans are fake.

What a tight little wad your panties are in:

FINITE RESOURCE!!

GLOBAL ECOSYSTEM!!!

and finally, the real reason for your "outrage;"

.........REPUBLICANS ARE FAKE!!!

Let's just admit that you couldn't give a shit about a "Global Ecosystem" and unless you're living in a cave, You use finite resources all the time.
Your real agenda is partisan quackery.

Don't be shy with those p's. :D

Domestic oil production has no guaranteed markets like ethanol does. There are no tariffs on oil imports as there are on ethanol.

Even when oil was $10/barrel and thousands of U.S. companies were going under, and hundreds of thousands of oil industry workers losing jobs - there was no assistance from the government. Foreign countries were dumping their oil on our markets at below cost, yet the government didn't step in like it did for the steel industry.

Oil producers aren't paid to NOT produce oil, like farmers are.
There are no loan deficiency payments. No production (i.e. crop) insurance.

No, Big Ag is a world of its own.

Domestic oil production has no guaranteed markets like ethanol does. There are no tariffs on oil imports as there are on ethanol.

Even when oil was $10/barrel and thousands of U.S. companies were going under, and hundreds of thousands of oil industry workers losing jobs - there was no assistance from the government. Foreign countries were dumping their oil on our markets at below cost, yet the government didn't step in like it did for the steel industry.

When Canada or Mexico invades the USA, and we need to fuel our Tanks and Aircraft Carriers...but we cannot because we haven't supported the Oil and Gas Industry....you people who are sitting around your fucking Cupcake/Wine stores will finally get it.

When Canada or Mexico invades the USA, and we need to fuel our Tanks and Aircraft Carriers...but we cannot because we haven't supported the Oil and Gas Industry....you people who are sitting around your fucking Cupcake/Wine stores will finally get it.

I think you're confusing me with someone else?

I know a girl who is a vegetarian and claims it is her protest against the inhumane way beef and other meats are processed...something that on the outside, I admire.
Hoiwever, when asked why she wears leather shoes, her response was "that is a bi product of the meet manufacturers and it would go to waste anyway"

Now you tell me...what is wrong with that picture. Inhumnae treatemnt is not OK as long as I can live without it....but if there is something I need out of it, well, I can find an excuse as to why it is OK.

THAT is how I see the liberal thinking.

lol...and you call conservative thinking fake.

This is one person, who is a total idiot, because we don't get our leather from the same cows we get our meat from. We get our leather from different cows, who have to suffer on a whole different level to give up their skin.

Don't generalize one person who happens to be a liberal, to all liberals. That is your first and most egregious fallacy. People, including me, are guilty of this on both sides of the fence.

She is right to be a vegetarian.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO.........one of the lamest threads of 2011.

Over the past ten years, the US Government has spent tens of billions on BS green energy technology.:fu:

fAiL:blowup::blowup::blowup:

The far lefties are so fcukking naive its beyond gone.............

Last edited:
This is one person, who is a total idiot, because we don't get our leather from the same cows we get our meat from. We get our leather from different cows, who have to suffer on a whole different level to give up their skin.

Don't generalize one person who happens to be a liberal, to all liberals. That is your first and most egregious fallacy. People, including me, are guilty of this on both sides of the fence.

She is right to be a vegetarian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

Could you possibly be true to your beliefs at least within your own post? Also, the whole point of labels such as liberal, is to identify a group with similiar characteristics. If your uncomfortable, change yourself or change your group.

Forum List

Back