Obama to announce $795 million in funding to expand broadband in poor, rural areas

I wonder how many winter coats for children in those poor rural areas 800 million will buy?
Do you think those children prefer winter coats or faster internet?

No shortage of winder coats for poor rural kids in this neck of the woods, amigo.

In fact, a friend of mine is storing scores of them that were collected for poor kids.

They're being stored because they cannot find anybody who wants them.

Meanwhile kids herabouts who live less than a mile off US route one don't have access to broadband internet service.

So I think making broadband internet ubiquitous in the USA is a damned good investment.

So let me get this right. These poor kids dont want free coats because...they arent great big name coats is my guess. They also want fast internet access. Hmmmm answer me this...how the f*(& do they get on that internet without a computer? Oh i know they have computers but here is my issue. Are internet, computers and brand named coats needs in life? Most Americans don't mind paying taxes and that money going to help poor people that need food, shelter, and clothing but I have a major issue with paying for people to have computers and internet and coat that i can't even afford. This is exactly why Americans hate the social programs.

you obviously did NOT read the article...it will bring broadband service to thousands of schools in the rural usa that do not have it.... and tens of thousands to hundreds of thousand small businesses....not just us richer folk living in rural homes.

People can overcome obstacles. It makes them stronger. If obstacles are going to prevent you from achieving, then you weren't much to begin with.

Tell that to the kid growing up poor, in crime ridden areas, and to parents who don't care about their social and academic development.
Is there no library nearby? No church with volunteer tutors? No secular tutoring/mentoring groups?

People can overcome obstacles. It makes them stronger. If obstacles are going to prevent you from achieving, then you weren't much to begin with.

Tell that to the kid growing up poor, in crime ridden areas, and to parents who don't care about their social and academic development.
Is there no library nearby? No church with volunteer tutors? No secular tutoring/mentoring groups?
Are there no poor houses or prisons? <sarcasm>

Last edited:
People complain that we're losing our place as the #1 superpower in the world. Well now that we are trying to dramatically upgrade our technological infrastructure, people here complain....and it's ONLY because it's being done under Obamas watch. I guarantee if it was under a republican all of you complaining would be saying that this is LONG overdue and what took so long.
Your guarantee is meaningless. If the economy was in as bad a shape as it is now, yes, I would be complaining.

If you think it's such a good idea, you spend your money on it. Oh, that's right...liberals are only generous with other people's money.

Dave my man, you are missing the big picture here. Chief among them this:

Obama IS going to spend the stimulus money, that's a done deal, the fight is over. So the question before us NOW is, what to spend the money on? I happen to think this is a great use of it.

We lost the fight over actually having a stimulus, let's not also give up our chair at the table when it comes to deciding HOW to spend the money.

I think a few of you are missing the point. Not only will this be a benefit to rural communities in the long term, in the short term it will allow people to keep their jobs or even allow a few companies to hire back some that have been layed off. This money will pay for people to BUILD the infrastructue. A win/win.

It's hard to understand how an actual conservative could be against this.
It's because Obama is doing it. The America-hating CON$ervoFascist cabal does not want anything good for America to happen until they can seize control. Until that happens CON$ want Americans to SUFFER. CON$ want unemployment to rise to Reagan levels, they want the Bush Depression to be prolonged, and they want terrorist attacks (plural) worse than Bush's 9/11.

Hey, some of us are trying to have a civilized conversation here, why don't you take your bullshit stupidity of accusing others of not being Americans simply because they don't agree with you and shove it up your ass, MORON.

I think a few of you are missing the point. Not only will this be a benefit to rural communities in the long term, in the short term it will allow people to keep their jobs or even allow a few companies to hire back some that have been layed off. This money will pay for people to BUILD the infrastructue. A win/win.

It's because Obama is doing it. The America-hating CON$ervoFascist cabal does not want anything good for America to happen until they can seize control. Until that happens CON$ want Americans to SUFFER. CON$ want unemployment to rise to Reagan levels, they want the Bush Depression to be prolonged, and they want terrorist attacks (plural) worse than Bush's 9/11.

Hey, some of us are trying to have a civilized conversation here, why don't you take your bullshit stupidity of accusing others of not being Americans simply because they don't agree with you and shove it up your ass, MORON.
OHHH NOOOO, never heard a con call anyone un-American. LOL

According to the always entertaining logic of the resident cons,

we should raise taxes on the poor

and use the money to fund free broadband for the rich.
You do know, don't you, that the stereotypical conservative you keep in your head is nothing more than a boogeyman created by the left? That no one really thinks that way?

In other words, good luck getting someone to defend themselves against what your fantasies tell you.

Ummm...no.

OHHH NOOOO, never heard a con call anyone un-American. LOL

And I equally call out their dumb asses. Funny that I never seen a leftie doing so to their own. Ok, maybe rarely, but only rarely.

I mean how fucking stupid do you have to be to call someone un American over this?

Are there no poor houses or prisons? <sarcasm>
Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up. There is a difference between volunteer tutors and poor houses, though.

People complain that we're losing our place as the #1 superpower in the world. Well now that we are trying to dramatically upgrade our technological infrastructure, people here complain....and it's ONLY because it's being done under Obamas watch. I guarantee if it was under a republican all of you complaining would be saying that this is LONG overdue and what took so long.
Your guarantee is meaningless. If the economy was in as bad a shape as it is now, yes, I would be complaining.

If you think it's such a good idea, you spend your money on it. Oh, that's right...liberals are only generous with other people's money.

Dave my man, you are missing the big picture here. Chief among them this:

Obama IS going to spend the stimulus money, that's a done deal, the fight is over. So the question before us NOW is, what to spend the money on? I happen to think this is a great use of it.

We lost the fight over actually having a stimulus, let's not also give up our chair at the table when it comes to deciding HOW to spend the money.
We don't have a chair. Never did. Everything the stimulus has done has been to benefit Dem special interest groups and/or increase the government's power. If some average folks have benefited, fine, but that's just an accident. The goal all along has been political payback and consilidating more power in DC.

This will benefit average folks. And that's good. But some crony somewhere is going to benefit more. And the government has more fingers in the pie.

None of this even covers the fact that this is not the business of government to begin with.

Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up. There is a difference between volunteer tutors and poor houses, though.

Dave, what would you rather see the money spent on?
I just mentioned a far more beneficial recipient: Tutoring programs. Definitely would do society a lot more good than broadband.

Teacher's unions wouldn't allow it, though.

I don't think you quite understand the integration of the internet to education in today's schools. Our school offers twelve distance learning classes that would be impossible to offer without a broadband connection. Many schools don't have that luxury, too bad for those kids?

Dave, what would you rather see the money spent on?
I just mentioned a far more beneficial recipient: Tutoring programs. Definitely would do society a lot more good than broadband.

I don't think you quite understand the integration of the internet to education in today's schools. Our school offers twelve distance learning classes that would be impossible to offer without a broadband connection. Many schools don't have that luxury, too bad for those kids?
And what good is that going to do them if they can't read?

And what good is that going to do them if they can't read?

Dave if a student isn't going to learn to read at school, a tutor isn't going to help either. The internet based courses help the kids who want to excel, and I am in a proponent of pushing the top kids by offering them as much as possible while encouraging the other kids to do better without taking away from the opportunities for the excellers. I do NOT believe in keeping the top down to cater to the middle or lower students. It's a waste of resources.

Forum List

Back