Obama has been trying to stop fracking thru OSHA

Wastewater from the controversial practice of fracking appears to be linked to all the earthquakes in a town in Ohio that had no known past quakes, research now reveals.

The practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, involves injecting water, sand and other materials under high pressures into a well to fracture rock. This opens up fissures that help oil and natural gas flow out more freely. This process generates wastewater that is often pumped underground as well, in order to get rid of it.

A furious debate has erupted over the safety of the practice. Advocates claim fracking is a safe, economical source of clean energy, while critics argue that it can taint drinking water supplies, among other problems.

Confirmed: Fracking practices to blame for Ohio earthquakes - NBC News.com

Residents of Youngstown, Ohio, received an extra surprise on Christmas Eve and again on New Year's Eve —earthquakes, measuring 2.7 and 4.0 on the Richter scale, respectively. No one was injured and only a few cases of minor damage were reported after the Dec. 31 event.

Scientists have quickly determined that the likely cause was fracking—although not from drilling into deep shale or cracking it with pressured water and chemicals to retrieve natural gas. Rather, they suspect the disposal of wastewater from those operations, done by pumping it back down into equally deep sandstone.

Fracking is part of a nationwide boom in the production of natural gas, which is a ready replacement for home heating oil and could lessen dependence on foreign fossil fuels if vast underground shales could be hydraulically fractured. Opposition to fracking has arisen mostly out of fear that the technique could potentially contaminate drinking water supplies.
Ohio Earthquake Likely Caused by Fracking Wastewater: Scientific American

No wonder why liberals think my fellow cons are anti-science.fucking idiots

Commies don't care about sound science when they decide they know better than anyone, according to the chart silicosis kills about one person a year, and is trending down, sounds like a hell of a reason to cost oil companies big bucks. Of course governments at all levels are still citing a smoking study, that was declared junk science by a federal judge years ago, to justify new smoking bans. Commies only like convenient science.

Fuck you Loon. I'm from Louisiana. Beautiful place and absolutely God's Country with many blessings to all people from the oil industry.

You missed my point.

Oil is a benefit to our society so great that we are willing to kill 40,000 a year and we still say bring it on...ten times more than we killed in all the years in Iraq...we kill 40,000 on the highways without even noticing it...because we love to use the oil so much....and you whine about frack water---which you obviously know nothing about.

I take back the Merry Christmas.....Fuck you.

Beautiful sinkholes and oil slicks you mean, I was just reading about the Bayou Corne sinkhole and cancer alley in Newsweek just today, the brine operations are fucking things up pretty bad, go down there and take a swim in that "beautiful" place and then tell us all how the petroleum industry is to be trusted with the environment.

The Sinkhole That's Eating Louisiana

What does the petroleum industry have to do with extracting salt from salt domes?

Didn't you read the fucking article?

Didn't you???

After it is shipped to Geismar, the brine is subjected to the chlor-alkali process, which turns the salt (sodium chloride) into chlorine and caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Both of these are vital to the petrochemical industry. Chlorine is fundamental in the composition of plastics like polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a material that goes into everything from pipes to clothing. A website for the Chlorine Institute, a lobbying group, notes the element’s presence in so many items (bullet-proof vests, antihistamines, surfboards) that nobody could possibly miss the point. As for the sodium hydroxide, it is crucial to a process called caustic washing, which helps purify the oil housed in vast refineries that stand like battlements along what was once Huck and Tom’s riparian paradise.

Unquote and screw you Mr. oil company dupe.

And just for the Fox worshipers here on USMB

A story from Fox news itself....

It’s not the hydraulic fracturing itself, but how wastewater was disposed afterwards, that Ohio officials believe set off a dozen earthquakes near Youngstown last year. None of those quakes was greater than a 4.0. While stopping short of definitively blaming wastewater injections for the earthquakes, a report from Ohio’s Department of Natural Resources does say it’s unlikely. In addition, it’s laying out new rules for drillers; including more comprehensive geological study at potential drilling sites.
http://radio.foxnews.com/2012/03/09/gas-drilling-wastewater-to-blame-for-ohio-earthquakes/

Commies don't care about sound science when they decide they know better than anyone, according to the chart silicosis kills about one person a year, and is trending down, sounds like a hell of a reason to cost oil companies big bucks. Of course governments at all levels are still citing a smoking study, that was declared junk science by a federal judge years ago, to justify new smoking bans. Commies only like convenient science.
What the heck? Not interested in fracking when I am playing golf and my ball is so close to the hole and a random earthquake messes up my game. Screw that. Lol

Fuck you Loon. I'm from Louisiana. Beautiful place and absolutely God's Country with many blessings to all people from the oil industry.

You missed my point.

Oil is a benefit to our society so great that we are willing to kill 40,000 a year and we still say bring it on...ten times more than we killed in all the years in Iraq...we kill 40,000 on the highways without even noticing it...because we love to use the oil so much....and you whine about frack water---which you obviously know nothing about.

I take back the Merry Christmas.....Fuck you.

Beautiful sinkholes and oil slicks you mean, I was just reading about the Bayou Corne sinkhole and cancer alley in Newsweek just today, the brine operations are fucking things up pretty bad, go down there and take a swim in that "beautiful" place and then tell us all how the petroleum industry is to be trusted with the environment.

What does the petroleum industry have to do with extracting salt from salt domes?

Quite a bit actually, they mine them and use them to store natural gas.

What the heck? Not interested in fracking when I am playing golf and my ball is so close to the hole and a random earthquake messes up my game. Screw that. Lol

You got a better chance of an airplane landing on you, I wouldn't worry. I've actually sat at well heads and watched the mapping of the fracking being done, it was very interesting how they could map the areas effected in 3 dimensions, 15,000 feet below.

Wastewater from the controversial practice of fracking appears to be linked to all the earthquakes in a town in Ohio that had no known past quakes, research now reveals.

The practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, involves injecting water, sand and other materials under high pressures into a well to fracture rock. This opens up fissures that help oil and natural gas flow out more freely. This process generates wastewater that is often pumped underground as well, in order to get rid of it.

A furious debate has erupted over the safety of the practice. Advocates claim fracking is a safe, economical source of clean energy, while critics argue that it can taint drinking water supplies, among other problems.

Confirmed: Fracking practices to blame for Ohio earthquakes - NBC News.com

Residents of Youngstown, Ohio, received an extra surprise on Christmas Eve and again on New Year's Eve —earthquakes, measuring 2.7 and 4.0 on the Richter scale, respectively. No one was injured and only a few cases of minor damage were reported after the Dec. 31 event.

Scientists have quickly determined that the likely cause was fracking—although not from drilling into deep shale or cracking it with pressured water and chemicals to retrieve natural gas. Rather, they suspect the disposal of wastewater from those operations, done by pumping it back down into equally deep sandstone.

Fracking is part of a nationwide boom in the production of natural gas, which is a ready replacement for home heating oil and could lessen dependence on foreign fossil fuels if vast underground shales could be hydraulically fractured. Opposition to fracking has arisen mostly out of fear that the technique could potentially contaminate drinking water supplies.
Ohio Earthquake Likely Caused by Fracking Wastewater: Scientific American

No wonder why liberals think my fellow cons are anti-science.fucking idiots

So you're worried about a 2.7 and a 4.0 earthquake? You've had more powerful bowel movements. Get over it.

Quite a bit actually, they mine them and use them to store natural gas.

I'm referring to the other thread that blames the petro industry for the polluted sink hole that resulted from a salt dome collapse. Sorry bout dat.

Forum List

Back