NY Post - Lochte, 3 US swimmers lied about robbery to cover up gas station brawl

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Who knows if this new slant on the story is true? Everybody lies about everything.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

aug 18 2016 Ryan Lochte and three other US Olympic swimmers lied about being robbed at gunpoint to cover up a brawl they had with a gas station security guard, authorities said Thursday.

Brazilian authorities have video of a brouhaha involving American swimmers Ryan Lochte, Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen and a rent-a-cop, ABC News reported.

At least one of the swimmers can be seen fighting with the security guard and one of the Americans was shown breaking down a bathroom door during the melee, according to ABC.

Granny says, "Dat's right - next time make `em pay dey's own fare to the games...
icon_grandma.gif

Story of Ryan Lochte robbery in Rio fast unravelling
Friday 19th August, 2016 - Three detained American swimmers are cooperating and providing further statements to the Brazilian authorities on Thursday, according to the United States Olympic Committee.
It's occurring at the so-called Rio Tourist Police station near Ipanema Beach, where a massive throng of international media are stationed for a perp walk. Yeah, its come to this: The story of the Olympics, a likely fake claim of robbery at the end of a drunken night of debauchery turned into global story courtesy of a publicity-mad swimmer-turned-reality-TV-star who, unlike his three buddies, teammates Jimmy Feigen, Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz, is home safe in the United States. This is likely bad news for Ryan Lochte, who appears to have found his three compatriots throwing him under the bus to authorities. At least two of the swimmers are at the jail, and have reportedly told police Lochte made up the story. Ryan Lochte said he was robbed at gunpoint by people impersonating police officers. Not that Lochte could have envisioned this coming. So press-addicted as he is, he apparently can't comprehend the drama and difficulties he's left behind in Rio as he continues to fan the rage of the Brazilians.

Down here, authorities not only don't believe his story of being mugged at gunpoint Sunday, but also see his whole story as nothing but an attempt to further denigrate and humiliate the nation and its law enforcement. The truth is Ryan Lochte was safe and secure in Rio. The Brazilians have thus far done an admirable job guarding Olympic venues, housing and transportation, especially for the athletes. Perfect, no, but it's never perfect. If some of them want to run the streets of Rio at night on their own, as Lochte's quickly unraveling story is based on, well, that'ss on them and against all of the recommendations provided them or common sense of living in a major city, here or at home. As angry as the Brazilians are with Lochte, his fellow swimmers should be even more heated. None of this becomes an international incident without Lochte trying to turn it into a Kardashian-esque marketing opportunity. If this was a good night celebrating Olympic achievement turned unnecessarily wild and then decidedly bad night, well, it happens. No matter what did or did not occur, it appears everyone survived unscathed. Move on and one day laugh over it.

Even the IOC agrees. "We have to understand that these kids were trying to have fun," IOC Rio Games spokesperson Mario Andrada said. "They came here, they represent their country to the best of their ability. They train for years. They competed under gigantic pressure. I understand they're under investigation. I can't go much further into the details." "But let's give these kids a break. Sometimes you take actions that you later regret. Lochte is one of the best swimmers of all times. They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on." Of course, Lochte is 32 years old, and no kid. Lochte's publicity machine kicked in as word of the robbery leaked to the press, with Lochte's mother as a confirming source. Then his team of representatives pushed back on the doubts from Rio police and the IOC.

Then Lochte just couldn't shut up and had to go on NBC with Billy Bush, whose full-time job is with Access Hollywood, and describe an outrageous series of events. "We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground, they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so I'm not getting down on the ground." "And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down' and I put my hands up, I was like ..whatever. He took our money, he took my wallet, he left my cellphone, he left my credentials."

MORE

See also:

US apologises for swimmers' 'unacceptable behaviour'
Fri, 19 Aug 2016 - The United States Olympic Committee apologies for the "unacceptable behaviour" of four US swimmers who claimed they were robbed at gunpoint in Rio.
Police questioned three of the gold medal winners and say "they were not victims of the crimes they claimed". Two of the four - Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger - were allowed to fly out of Rio on Thursday evening. Ryan Lochte had already left, and James Feigen remains in Brazil. Mr Bentz and Mr Conger had been taken off a plane at Rio airport on Wednesday and taken for questioning. Mr Lochte had initially said the four were robbed at gunpoint when they were returning by taxi from a club.

But Rio's civil police head Fernando Veloso said the four Olympic gold medallists had not been robbed. "No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed,'' he said. He told reporters that one or more of the athletes had instead vandalised a toilet in a petrol station and then offered to pay for the damage. The Americans paid and left after armed security guards intervened, he said. One guard had justifiably drawn his gun after one of the swimmers began behaving erratically, Mr Veloso added.

He warned that the swimmers, who had repeatedly changed their accounts of what happened, could "in theory" face charges of giving false testimony and vandalism. But later on Thursday, the men's lawyer Sergio Riera said Mr Bentz and Mr Conger had been allowed to leave the country by a special Olympic court. "They are on their way to the airport," Mr Riera said.

However, Mr Feigen remains in Brazil. He "provided a revised statement this evening (Thursday) with the hope of securing the release of his passport as soon as possible," said the US Olympic Committee (USOC). The USOC statement confirmed the version of events given by Mr Veloso, and added that "the behaviour of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA".

Four views of Ryan Lochte

Last edited:
No comment...
confused.gif

US swimmer Lochte 'won't respond' to Brazil false claim charge
Fri, 26 Aug 2016 - Ryan Lochte has no plans to publically respond despite Brazilian police charging him with making a false statement over a robbery, his lawyer says.
The charge relates to a claim he made that he and three team-mates had been robbed during the Rio Olympics. Asked whether the swimmer would be making a public statement, his lawyer told the BBC he would "not be". Mr Lochte flew out of Brazil after the Games before he could be questioned about the alleged false claim.

The story began when Mr Lochte said he and three fellow swimmers had been robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the Olympic village from a party. But the police say he made up the story and officers produced video evidence that the group were actually challenged by security guards after they had vandalised a petrol station toilet.

_90941880_mediaitem90941879.jpg

He has admitted he was drunk and apologised but he now has to decide whether or not to return to Brazil to answer the charges. Several sponsors, including clothing manufacturer Speedo, dropped the swimmer in the wake of the incident. But one company, Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops, signed the athlete up, saying people should be more understanding and that he will use the campaign slogan "Forgiving On Your Throat" in an advert.

When filing the charges, Brazilian police also recommended courts issue Mr Lochte with a summons. The US and Brazil have an extradition treaty which Brazil has flouted in the past. Authorities in the US could take the same stance if Mr Lochte is found guilty. The crime faces a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison and the 32-year-old can be tried in his absence.

US swimmer Lochte 'won't respond' to Brazil false claim charge - BBC News

Forum List

Back