Now you can't even trust trusted email contacts........

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Yeah, this is sneaky.

This sneaky type of phishing is growing fast because hackers are seeing big paydays​

Researchers warn about an increase in conversation hijacking emails, where hackers abuse accounts of people you trust to send you phishing links and malware.

But increasingly, cyber criminals are looking to exploit the actual email accounts of real users by hacking into accounts and hijacking ongoing conversations in order to send phishing emails.

These conversation hijacking attacks have the potential to be more effective because the source of the email is someone the victim trusts and the message comes as part of an ongoing thread, so doesn't look as suspicious as an unexpected email coming out of the blue and asking for a file to be downloaded or a link to be clicked.

According to cybersecurity researchers at Barracuda Networks, conversation hijacking attacks grew by almost 270% in 2021 alone.

This sneaky type of phishing is growing fast because hackers are seeing big paydays | ZDNet

;)

1647539370013.jpeg

This kind of Hacking almost happen to me , i receive a mail from a friend and the address appear correct but it was not his real address but i did find a way to make sure who was really writing to me .
I put the mouse cursor on the adress mail and i could check the address that appear below and then that i could see that it was not his address.

This kind of Hacking almost happen to me , i receive a mail from a friend and the address appear correct but it was not his real address but i did find a way to make sure who was really writing to me .
I put the mouse cursor on the adress mail and i could check the address that appear below and then that i could see that it was not his address.
That's a different one, this one they actually hijack your friend's or coworker's email and watch the conversation between you and whomever then construct their phishing email to look like it's legitimate. Thinking it's trusted you click on the link they embed and they got ya.

Thanks Ringel, it is necessary to be vigilant several times by the mails there were hacking attempts even once it was an email impersonating the French government and it was really amazing anyone could have believed it and by the mobile phone also we must be vigilant.
They also find information about people through social networks, which is why I never give my real name many people I know who participate on Facebook gives their full real name with photos, dates and so on, it’s a gold mine for hackers.

:dunno:

DuckDuckGo Email Protection​

Email Protection is in beta. To get a Duck Address, join the private waitlist from the settings of the DuckDuckGo mobile app.

As I understand it you keep old address and mail is sent there... I am not a very fart smellar at this stuff...

Pike County Indiana was hacked like this, this week.
It came as an order, with the right attachments and everything.
However, they said they wanted to change payment methods to direct deposit. Which would require us to give them our routing # etc to our checking account.
I knew they never pay direct deposit in this way. They either pay by check still or some counties pay ACH. Direct deposit is not used for repeat payments. So we called them...and they were already in freak out mode as apparently a series of emails had gone out and people were trying to process payments.

Not sure how they were going to get money out of this.

@Ridgerunner, The DuckDuckGo Email Protection is a good idea but I have a very good anti virus, but as far as emails are concerned I prefer not to open anything without checking with the person before opening a file.
Especially since some of my contacts send e-mails to all the other contacts.

Pike County Indiana was hacked like this, this week.
It came as an order, with the right attachments and everything.
However, they said they wanted to change payment methods to direct deposit. Which would require us to give them our routing # etc to our checking account.
I knew they never pay direct deposit in this way. They either pay by check still or some counties pay ACH. Direct deposit is not used for repeat payments. So we called them...and they were already in freak out mode as apparently a series of emails had gone out and people were trying to process payments.

Not sure how they were going to get money out of this.
@iamwhatiseem, I hope that this people will be able to recover their money, for online purchases my bank sends me a verification code directly on my mobile phone, it is an additional security .

Forum List

Back