North Pole Drifting Toward Siberia!

Oh my gawd! Trump sold the north pole to Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!!
You are confusing Trump with Obama, I think. It was in all the papers on Obama's watch when Trump was still building towers. :rolleyes:
For Ozro's eyes only (this was published in 2012):

Pole reversal will still take thousands of years. The accelerated movement of the pole is due to magma movement hundreds of miles below surface. Only effects expected is more frequent update for sat nav users. Hopefully somebody will make changes to declination angle in marginal information on topographic maps, for those of us that still how to do a resection from know points.

You know, while a lot of you on this thread are talking about it in political terms (God only knows why), this is something that could have serious implications on travel.

What if it moves far enough over to cause problems with GPS and you get faulty directions because of it? We already know that your magnetic compass is gonna be off a couple of degrees, and when it comes to finding your way back, that could be a serious problem.

You know, while a lot of you on this thread are talking about it in political terms (God only knows why), this is something that could have serious implications on travel.

What if it moves far enough over to cause problems with GPS and you get faulty directions because of it? We already know that your magnetic compass is gonna be off a couple of degrees, and when it comes to finding your way back, that could be a serious problem.
I reserve the right to protect my President from statements a misinformed public believes due to gross and calumnious lying, blaming Donald Trump for something Barack Obama actually did in conjunction with his Secretary of State Clinton, and I didn't even mention the fact that that dastardly duo forked over 20% of America's uranium for who knows why to Vladamir Putin's Russia, because I don't after their maelstrom against President Trump for collusion he never engaged in with the Russian government or anyone else there. :rolleyes:

Earth’s magnetic north pole is moving at unprecedented speeds

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner
December 18th, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Earlier this year, scientists revealed that Earth’s magnetic north pole is shifting faster than anyone had predicted. Polar shifts aren’t uncommon and we’ve long known that Earth’s magnetic poles are always on the move, but the rate at which the pole was moving gave researchers pause.

Now, months after that initial report, new research confirms the drifting pole is still headed toward Siberia, and it’s doing so at unprecedented speeds. In a new report from NOAA, the “World Magnetic Model” for 2020 is revealed, and it shows that the pole is speeding toward northern Russia. That trend, however, is expected to change.

And the USGS server is down for repairs. :(

Oh, well. I just noticed it's creepy cold and went to "weather" where I saw an article on the North Pole on the move. Didn't it use to be somewhere way in the northernmost part of Canada?
Fake science just trying to get more grant money
There is probably 100 variables working on where The NP floats around.

These climate whackos got more reasons than Hillary Clinton for why she got smoked in 16

I reserve the right to protect my President from statements a misinformed public believes due to gross and calumnious lying, blaming Donald Trump for something Barack Obama actually did in conjunction with his Secretary of State Clinton, and I didn't even mention the fact that that dastardly duo forked over 20% of America's uranium for who knows why to Vladamir Putin's Russia, because I don't after their maelstrom against President Trump for collusion he never engaged in with the Russian government or anyone else there. :rolleyes:

So, you have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, just a whole bunch of demagoguery. Good to know.

I've seen documentaries on this happening, and yeah, if it shifts far enough, it could be enough to not only mess with directions on magnetic compasses, but it could also have a bad effect on commercial air travel too.

I have read stories where pilots flew to the wrong place because of mixed up flight plans and pilot errors, but if it gets bad enough to mess with navigation systems, we could have some real problems.

You thought weather was bad on air travel, try not knowing what direction you are going.

How can a plane accidentally land at the wrong airport?

How can a plane accidentally land at the wrong airport?

A British Airways flight bound for Germany misguidedly landed in Scotland this week, and it’s not the first time such a mistake has been made

tr26-Mar-Wrongairport.jpg

Possible paperwork errors saw a BA flight land in Edinburgh on Sunday instead of in Germany where it was scheduled to fly to. Courtesy WDL Aviation

logo-76.jpg

Hayley Skirka

March 26, 2019

On Sunday, a British Airways flight headed for Dusseldorf in Germany mistakenly landed at Edinburgh Airport in Scotland.

Passengers on board flight BA3271, which departed from London’s City Airport, only realised they were in the wrong country when the plane touched down in the Scottish capital and a "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.

The jet had to remain on the tarmac until it was given clearance to fly on to Dusseldorf, where it landed more than five hours later than scheduled.

You are confusing Trump with Obama, I think. It was in all the papers on Obama's watch when Trump was still building towers. :rolleyes:

Pole reversal will still take thousands of years. The accelerated movement of the pole is due to magma movement hundreds of miles below surface. Only effects expected is more frequent update for sat nav users. Hopefully somebody will make changes to declination angle in marginal information on topographic maps, for those of us that still how to do a resection from know points.

I hope that's true. Mother Nature howsomever, tends to hold her information close to her chest. ;)

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

Earlier this year, scientists revealed that Earth’s magnetic north pole is shifting faster than anyone had predicted. Polar shifts aren’t uncommon and we’ve long known that Earth’s magnetic poles are always on the move, but the rate at which the pole was moving gave researchers pause.

Now, months after that initial report, new research confirms the drifting pole is still headed toward Siberia, and it’s doing so at unprecedented speeds. In a new report from NOAA, the “World Magnetic Model” for 2020 is revealed, and it shows that the pole is speeding toward northern Russia. That trend, however, is expected to change.

Oh, well. I just noticed it's creepy cold and went to "weather" where I saw an article on the North Pole on the move. Didn't it use to be somewhere way in the northernmost part of Canada?
Thanks Miss B. I'm glad this is still in the news.
I actually posted about it almost a year ago...
Earth’s magnetic field is mysteriously acting up, pushing North Pole towards Siberia

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

Thanks Miss B. I'm glad this is still in the news.
I actually posted about it almost a year ago...
Earth’s magnetic field is mysteriously acting up, pushing North Pole towards Siberia
For some reason, the recent article I read seemed to think that from Canada to Siberia was a longer range than usual. I follow sciences because nature lights my fire, but unfortunately, I may have missed your post of last year.

The movement of the Earth's magnetic field is caused by excess CO2 emissions. You must all stop using fossil fuels immediately.

I hope that's true. Mother Nature howsomever, tends to hold her information close to her chest. ;)

It is patently false that it will take "thousands of years," because no one alive has gone through one, we just don't know. Some support the long shift theory, others support the quick shift as the prime cause of punctuated evolution.

The one thing all scientists DO AGREE on, is that we are LONG OVERDUE for the next shift.

These are a few links I have saved.

Earth's Poles Will Eventually Flip, So What Then?
From animal migrations to human communications, a reversal of Earth’s magnetic poles could seriously mess with life as we know it.
Earth's Poles Will Eventually Flip, So What Then?

THIS is the biggest crock of shit though, and I have seen it spread by MSM all over the news and internet;

The movement of the Earth's magnetic field is caused by excess CO2 emissions. You must all stop using fossil fuels immediately.

It is caused by action in the molten core;

Explained: Dynamo theory
Recent discoveries raise questions about how small planets can have self-sustaining magnetic fields
Explained: Dynamo theory
20100324160258-1_0.jpg

Earth’s magnetic field is generated from liquid iron located within the planet’s outer core that constantly moves as the planet cools. The outer core is located nearly 3,000 kilometers beneath Earth’s surface.

Graphic: Christine Daniloff

Earth’s magnetic field could flip within our lifetime – but don’t worry, we should be OK
Earth's magnetic field could flip within our lifetime - but don't worry, we should be OK - ExtremeTech

earths-magnetic-fields-nasa-640x527.jpg

". . .This summer, the European Space Agency published data that suggested that the Earth’s magnetic field could flip — as in, the magnetic north pole becomes the magnetic south pole — in “a few thousand years.” At the time, I figured there was no rush to write it up — after all, we might not even be living on Earth in a few thousand years. Now, however, new research published this week shows that the magnetic field might flip within our lifetime — so it’s probably something that we ought to talk about.. . ."

How to create a human life supporting system at the period of heliogeophysical and climatic changes on Earth?

Has Polar Shift caused Global Warming and Climate Change?
Published on August 8, 2017
Has Polar Shift caused Global Warming and Climate Change? | PSI Intl

Were the Inuits right when they suggested polar shift has caused global warming and climate change through watching the stars over hundreds of years? Evidence suggests that the poles have shifted dramatically in the last 50 years compared to the last 400 years.

<snip>

eruption-history.jpg

quakes.jpg

etc. . . see link.. . .

THE EARTH REORGANIZATION PROCESSES

Not just on travel, but insect pollination, and animal migration.

Depending on the severity, it cause reorganize weather patterns and cause mass extinctions and complete leaps in evolution for new species.

The last one happened at roughly the emergence of Homo Sapiens.

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

Oh man- now Russia is stealing the North Pole!

Not just on travel, but insect pollination, and animal migration.

Depending on the severity, it cause reorganize weather patterns and cause mass extinctions and complete leaps in evolution for new species.

The last one happened at roughly the emergence of Homo Sapiens.

Haven't looked into this since research paper I wrote many years ago on plate tectonics, in college, but I lean toward the long flip theory. Even if it is quick flip that is correct, nobody alive today (figuring normal longevity) will be around when it finishes flipping this time. Quick flip is not North today South tomorrow. An alarmist view is unwarranted. If had to bet, to actually invest and make money during my lifetime, I would rather lean toward global warming rather than quick magnetic pole reversal, so I could make money investing in engineering and technologies to protect coastal areas. This is monitored by NASA and USGS. They issue updates as needed (yes, the last two were sooner than expected) for accuracy of GPS with the data also used by military and a variety of other important organizations. I have never seen a military topographic map that did not have to have a declination angle in the marginal information, and it wasn't because they just couldn't print a map that actually oriented directly on magnetic north.

Forum List

Back