North Pole Drifting Toward Siberia!

You know, while a lot of you on this thread are talking about it in political terms (God only knows why), this is something that could have serious implications on travel.

What if it moves far enough over to cause problems with GPS and you get faulty directions because of it? We already know that your magnetic compass is gonna be off a couple of degrees, and when it comes to finding your way back, that could be a serious problem.
Not just on travel, but insect pollination, and animal migration.

Depending on the severity, it cause reorganize weather patterns and cause mass extinctions and complete leaps in evolution for new species.

The last one happened at roughly the emergence of Homo Sapiens.

Haven't looked into this since research paper I wrote many years ago on plate tectonics, in college, but I lean toward the long flip theory. Even if it is quick flip that is correct, nobody alive today (figuring normal longevity) will be around when it finishes flipping this time. Quick flip is not North today South tomorrow. An alarmist view is unwarranted. If had to bet, to actually invest and make money during my lifetime, I would rather lean toward global warming rather than quick magnetic pole reversal, so I could make money investing in engineering and technologies to protect coastal areas. This is monitored by NASA and USGS. They issue updates as needed (yes, the last two were sooner than expected) for accuracy of GPS with the data also used by military and a variety of other important organizations. I have never seen a military topographic map that did not have to have a declination angle in the marginal information, and it wasn't because they just couldn't print a map that actually oriented directly on magnetic north.

I'm just disgusted how often I read in the government and corporate media how they want folks to believe AGW is responsible for the dynamo now. :71:

You know, while a lot of you on this thread are talking about it in political terms (God only knows why), this is something that could have serious implications on travel.

What if it moves far enough over to cause problems with GPS and you get faulty directions because of it? We already know that your magnetic compass is gonna be off a couple of degrees, and when it comes to finding your way back, that could be a serious problem.

Depending on the severity, it cause reorganize weather patterns and cause mass extinctions and complete leaps in evolution for new species.

Haven't looked into this since research paper I wrote many years ago on plate tectonics, in college, but I lean toward the long flip theory. Even if it is quick flip that is correct, nobody alive today (figuring normal longevity) will be around when it finishes flipping this time. Quick flip is not North today South tomorrow. An alarmist view is unwarranted. If had to bet, to actually invest and make money during my lifetime, I would rather lean toward global warming rather than quick magnetic pole reversal, so I could make money investing in engineering and technologies to protect coastal areas. This is monitored by NASA and USGS. They issue updates as needed (yes, the last two were sooner than expected) for accuracy of GPS with the data also used by military and a variety of other important organizations. I have never seen a military topographic map that did not have to have a declination angle in the marginal information, and it wasn't because they just couldn't print a map that actually oriented directly on magnetic north.

I'm just disgusted how often I read in the government and corporate media how they want folks to believe AGW is responsible for the dynamo now. :71:
I have not read that, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with it.

Oh, there are a few articles out there blaming it on man made climate change.

Earth’s magnetic north pole is moving at unprecedented speeds

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner
December 18th, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Earlier this year, scientists revealed that Earth’s magnetic north pole is shifting faster than anyone had predicted. Polar shifts aren’t uncommon and we’ve long known that Earth’s magnetic poles are always on the move, but the rate at which the pole was moving gave researchers pause.

Now, months after that initial report, new research confirms the drifting pole is still headed toward Siberia, and it’s doing so at unprecedented speeds. In a new report from NOAA, the “World Magnetic Model” for 2020 is revealed, and it shows that the pole is speeding toward northern Russia. That trend, however, is expected to change.

And the USGS server is down for repairs. :(

Oh, well. I just noticed it's creepy cold and went to "weather" where I saw an article on the North Pole on the move. Didn't it use to be somewhere way in the northernmost part of Canada?

If the North Pole ends up in Siberia the russians will claim it as their own and refuse to let anyone else use it (no more compasses!)

or charge us to use it

The russians will be able to control everyones compass' (compasses?)!

US marines will think they are headed north only to find the russians have sent them south!

Oh, there are a few articles out there blaming it on man made climate change.
Grab a beer! We can both have a good laugh about it. :)

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

Earlier this year, scientists revealed that Earth’s magnetic north pole is shifting faster than anyone had predicted. Polar shifts aren’t uncommon and we’ve long known that Earth’s magnetic poles are always on the move, but the rate at which the pole was moving gave researchers pause.

Now, months after that initial report, new research confirms the drifting pole is still headed toward Siberia, and it’s doing so at unprecedented speeds. In a new report from NOAA, the “World Magnetic Model” for 2020 is revealed, and it shows that the pole is speeding toward northern Russia. That trend, however, is expected to change.

Oh, well. I just noticed it's creepy cold and went to "weather" where I saw an article on the North Pole on the move. Didn't it use to be somewhere way in the northernmost part of Canada?

Darn that Putin, I guess Santa is going to be a Russian too. LOL

The North Pole is nothing but ice. It always oscillates from year to year.
:ack-1:
Good luck with that. Has nothing to do with magnetic north and er, uh, Santa does not live there.
What? I wasn't the one that said that the North pole was associated with ice and that is why it is drifting.

Maybe reread the entire thing and interpret the emoji a bit better?
If I got the wrong poster, I do apologize, sir.

Has anyone figured it out yet? Trump is plotting with Putin to change earths magnetic force. He is a Russian agent working to destroy the planet

Last edited:

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

If the North Pole ends up in Siberia the russians will claim it as their own and refuse to let anyone else use it (no more compasses!)

or charge us to use it

The russians will be able to control everyones compass' (compasses?)!

US marines will think they are headed north only to find the russians have sent them south!
I'll pay in wood nickles, but first I will have to make some from the ol' tree stump out back. :113:

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

Darn that Putin, I guess Santa is going to be a Russian too. LOL

Never thought of Putin as a jolly magnet before. :5_1_12024:

Oh my gawd! Trump sold the north pole to Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!!
You are confusing Trump with Obama, I think. It was in all the papers on Obama's watch when Trump was still building towers. :rolleyes:
For Ozro's eyes only (this was published in 2012):

Pole reversal will still take thousands of years. The accelerated movement of the pole is due to magma movement hundreds of miles below surface. Only effects expected is more frequent update for sat nav users. Hopefully somebody will make changes to declination angle in marginal information on topographic maps, for those of us that still how to do a resection from know points.

I hope that's true. Mother Nature howsomever, tends to hold her information close to her chest. ;)

It is patently false that it will take "thousands of years," because no one alive has gone through one, we just don't know. Some support the long shift theory, others support the quick shift as the prime cause of punctuated evolution.

The one thing all scientists DO AGREE on, is that we are LONG OVERDUE for the next shift.

These are a few links I have saved.

Earth's Poles Will Eventually Flip, So What Then?
From animal migrations to human communications, a reversal of Earth’s magnetic poles could seriously mess with life as we know it.
Earth's Poles Will Eventually Flip, So What Then?

THIS is the biggest crock of shit though, and I have seen it spread by MSM all over the news and internet;

The movement of the Earth's magnetic field is caused by excess CO2 emissions. You must all stop using fossil fuels immediately.

It is caused by action in the molten core;

Explained: Dynamo theory
Recent discoveries raise questions about how small planets can have self-sustaining magnetic fields
Explained: Dynamo theory
20100324160258-1_0.jpg

Earth’s magnetic field is generated from liquid iron located within the planet’s outer core that constantly moves as the planet cools. The outer core is located nearly 3,000 kilometers beneath Earth’s surface.

Graphic: Christine Daniloff

Earth’s magnetic field could flip within our lifetime – but don’t worry, we should be OK
Earth's magnetic field could flip within our lifetime - but don't worry, we should be OK - ExtremeTech

earths-magnetic-fields-nasa-640x527.jpg

". . .This summer, the European Space Agency published data that suggested that the Earth’s magnetic field could flip — as in, the magnetic north pole becomes the magnetic south pole — in “a few thousand years.” At the time, I figured there was no rush to write it up — after all, we might not even be living on Earth in a few thousand years. Now, however, new research published this week shows that the magnetic field might flip within our lifetime — so it’s probably something that we ought to talk about.. . ."

How to create a human life supporting system at the period of heliogeophysical and climatic changes on Earth?

Has Polar Shift caused Global Warming and Climate Change?

Published on August 8, 2017
Has Polar Shift caused Global Warming and Climate Change? | PSI Intl

Were the Inuits right when they suggested polar shift has caused global warming and climate change through watching the stars over hundreds of years? Evidence suggests that the poles have shifted dramatically in the last 50 years compared to the last 400 years.

<snip>

eruption-history.jpg

quakes.jpg

etc. . . see link.. . .

THE EARTH REORGANIZATION PROCESSES

As it's revering polarity the magnetic field also weakens. It's the magnetic field that shields earths atmosphere from being stripped away by the solar wind. Someone tell that 16 year old Swedish brat that she's gonna die from being broiled not baked and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

The good news is the geographic North Pole hasn't moved since day 1 ... so climate change is still on track to kill us all ... the magnetic North Pole moves all the time, we update all our navigation chart every few months in part because of this ... and the poles flip, killing all life on Earth, that's why evolution is so important, once everything's dead, we have to start over ...

The bad news is the Earth will be spinning the wrong way ... it'll be the same way, but it will be wrong ... the Moon will finally divorce us and go her own way leaving us with the kids and no child support ... living in abject poverty like Venus ... so sad ... but at least we'll all be dead and that should soften the blow a little ... give us all a chance to catch up on General Hospital eating Cheetos with onion dip ...

Mt Edna is pregnant again ... men-folk need to submit DNA samples so we can find the "balrog in the woodpile" as it were ...

Mike Wehner
@MikeWehner

It does that just before it flips polarity where north and south swap. It's happened several times before.
But we're all going to die of skin cancer or our crops will all be scorched to dust while that happens, right? That should kill the creatures, too, shouldn't it? That sounds more like a MindWars article.

We know that there were animals on the planet that evolved and survived over 200,000 years ago when the last flip occurred. That should give us some hope that humans will survive it, too, somehow.

Forum List

Back