No Oil Leaking During Test of BP's New Cap

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
For those of you who actually care and who don't think we should be apologizing to poor set upon BP, right now, nothing is leaking...

does that mean that there isn't a leak underground? don't know. depends on what the pressure tests show.

But here's hoping. :eusa_pray:

HOUSTON — For the first time since the Gulf oil spill disaster started on April 20, the entire flow of oil was being contained Thursday as part of BP's pressure testing of a new cap, BP and federal officials said.

If the cap holds, the idea is to keep it on — and the flow checked — until a relief well can plug the blownout well in August.

If the cap does not hold, BP has added to its siphoning capacity and expects to be able to siphon up most if not all of the oil starting next week.

BP had slowly dialed down the flow as part of the pressure test. Engineers are now monitoring the pressure to see if the busted well holds.

BP Vice President Kent Wells said that oil stopped flowing into the water at 3:25 p.m. ET.

The federal Joint Information Center confirmed that the flow had stopped.

No oil leaking during test of BP's new cap - Disaster in the Gulf - msnbc.com

For those of you who actually care and who don't think we should be apologizing to poor set upon BP, right now, nothing is leaking...

does that mean that there isn't a leak underground? don't know. depends on what the pressure tests show.

HOUSTON — For the first time since the Gulf oil spill disaster started on April 20, the entire flow of oil was being contained Thursday as part of BP's pressure testing of a new cap, BP and federal officials said.

If the cap holds, the idea is to keep it on — and the flow checked — until a relief well can plug the blownout well in August.

If the cap does not hold, BP has added to its siphoning capacity and expects to be able to siphon up most if not all of the oil starting next week.

BP had slowly dialed down the flow as part of the pressure test. Engineers are now monitoring the pressure to see if the busted well holds.

BP Vice President Kent Wells said that oil stopped flowing into the water at 3:25 p.m. ET.

And Obama and company tried their damnedest to prevent the cap from even being used.

And Obama and company tried their damnedest to prevent the cap from even being used.
Link?

Let's not make this political in blaming whomever you want for whatever you want. Let's just celebrate the fact that it's capped.

Mini Echo called me out to the living room-she was watching CNN - (I've been doing my online classes) so excited, she yelled out , "Mom, come here, the oil leak has stopped!"

We hugged each other, we were both so happy.

Let's hope it works! :eusa_pray:

A test that will measure the pressure inside the well has begun and will last from six hours to 48 hours, BP said in an e- mailed statement today. The test will determine if BP can leave the seal in place or if it will need to let the leak resume until it can be permanently capped with a relief well.

The spill, the biggest U.S. oil spill in history, occurred after an April 20 explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig. The well has been spewing 35,000 to 60,000 barrels of oil a day, according to a U.S. government-led panel of scientists.

“The sealing-cap system never before has been deployed at these depths or under these conditions, and its efficiency and ability to contain the oil and gas cannot be assured,” the London-based company said.

Interim Step

The pressure test was delayed after the government raised concerns it might cause the well to burst open beneath the seabed. After getting necessary approvals, BP halted the test yesterday because a leak developed when it began shutting off the flow to allow pressure to build up.

Shutting in the well using a new cap is an interim step before BP can permanently plug the well with cement, National Incident Commander Thad Allen said in a New Orleans press conference.

“The number one goal is to shut in the well and kill it and stop it at the source,” Allen said today. “This is merely an intermediate step to plugging the hole.”

Engineers today replaced a faulty valve assembly that caused the leak yesterday. BP collected 12,840 barrels of oil yesterday from the well, according to a posting on its website. The company has halted oil collection and drilling of two relief wells that will plug the leak while the pressure test is ongoing.

Pressure Test

Low pressure during the first six hours will indicate the well is leaking somewhere else, which would cause BP to stop the test and resume recovering as much oil as possible through lines from the well to vessels on the surface of the Gulf, Allen said.

High pressure readings, between 8,000 and 9,000 pounds per square inch, will show the oil is trapped in the wellbore drilled by the Deepwater Horizon. If the well withstands high pressure for two days, BP will reopen the valves, let the pressure drop, and run a seismic survey to check for any leaks before shutting the valves for good, Allen said.

Being able to shut in the oil would help in the event a hurricane entered the area before BP permanently plugs the well, Allen said.

The first of two relief wells being drilled to plug the well is about 100 feet (30 meters) from intercepting the leak, Allen said.

BP had been sending captured oil from the well to the Helix Producer I and Q4000 rig, which are capable of handling as much as 33,000 barrels a day.
BP Halts Gulf of Mexico Leak, Starts Pressure Test - BusinessWeek

YAY OBAMA!!!

:clap2:

Mini Echo called me out to the living room-she was watching CNN - (I've been doing my online classes) so excited, she yelled out , "Mom, come here, the oil leak has stopped!"

Did she say to you "Let's hug it out, bitch"?

No,but she did ask "Mom, why did they let xotoxi out of the mental ward?"

No,but she did ask "Mom, why did they let xotoxi out of the mental ward?"

That's my daughter! :lol:

Forum List

Back