Nick Saban gets paid!

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Coach Nick Saban just signed a contract extension that will have him coaching through the 2029 season. Coach Saban turns 71 in October, and is hands down the greatest college football coach in the history of the game.

So far in his time as the head coach at Alabama, Saban has made about $100 million. The extension, if he coaches through 2029, he will add another $93 million. Now a significant portion of that is endorsements. So the university isn't picking up the entire tab.

But is he worth it?

Consider these facts:
In the 15 years he has been at Alabama, Nick Saban has 6 National Championships.
He has won 8 conference championships.
He has more 1st round NFL draft picks than he has losses. (44 1st round picks to 25 losses)
Alabama never had a Heisman Trophy winner before Saban got there. They have had 4 of them since his arrival.
He has 183 wins and 25 losses.
He has been in the college football playoffs every year except 1.
Alabama has been ranked #1 in the AP poll for 106 weeks.
Has produced 44 first round NFL draft picks and 112 players drafted overall.

One more tidbit. The 3 highest paid coaches in the SEC are Saban, Kirby Smart and Jimbo Fisher. All 3 are represented by the same man, Jimmy Sexton. Sexton is one of the few agents to represent both players and coaches. He represents some of the top NFL stars: Sam Darnold, Julio Jones, Laremy Tunsil, Derrick Henry, Philip Rivers, Daniel Jones, Jason Witten and Ndamukong Suh among others. He represents 11 of the 14 SEC head football coaches and 7 NFL head coaches.

Coach Nick Saban just signed a contract extension that will have him coaching through the 2029 season. Coach Saban turns 71 in October, and is hands down the greatest college football coach in the history of the game.

So far in his time as the head coach at Alabama, Saban has made about $100 million. The extension, if he coaches through 2029, he will add another $93 million. Now a significant portion of that is endorsements. So the university isn't picking up the entire tab.

But is he worth it?

Consider these facts:
In the 15 years he has been at Alabama, Nick Saban has 6 National Championships.
He has more 1st round NFL draft picks than he has losses. (44 1st round picks to 25 losses)
Alabama never had a Heisman Trophy winner before Saban got there. They have had 4 of them since his arrival.

One more tidbit. The 3 highest paid coaches in the SEC are Saban, Kirby Smart and Jimbo Fisher. All 3 are represented by the same man, Jimmy Sexton. Sexton is one of the few agents to represent both players and coaches. He represents some of the top NFL stars: Sam Darnold, Julio Jones, Laremy Tunsil, Derrick Henry, Philip Rivers, Daniel Jones, Jason Witten and Ndamukong Suh among others. He represents 11 of the 14 SEC head football coaches and 7 NFL head coaches.
With all of the money he has brought in (allegedly), tuition should be free then, right?

Saban isn't worth 1/2 of what he's making. Its a university...not a farm team for the NFL. Isn't the goal of the university to educate students?

With all of the money he has brought in (allegedly), tuition should be free then, right?

Saban isn't worth 1/2 of what he's making. Its a university...not a farm team for the NFL. Isn't the goal of the university to educate students?
Nope. Not that one. The people of Alabama worship the men who win at football to the point it looks like a cult. My relatives in Alabama have large prints of Saban and Bear Bryant hanging on their walls.

Nope. Not that one. The people of Alabama worship the men who win at football to the point it looks like a cult. My relatives in Alabama have large prints of Saban and Bear Bryant hanging on their walls.
Its off topic but one would have to wonder how the average conservative loon can applaud paying a football coach this type of money and then bitch about tuition being forgiven.

The Univ of Alabama football program makes a profit every year. Even after paying Saban.

Its off topic but one would have to wonder how the average conservative loon can applaud paying a football coach this type of money and then bitch about tuition being forgiven.

Tuition is not being forgiven. Student loans are being forgiven.

But is he worth it?

Consider these facts:

It never ceases to amaze me how much money the average Joe is willing to pump into the circuses...

I'm sure they do.

Charging thousands and thousands of dollars to kids who have to take out loans while athletes (who now get paid) go to school for free. It's a hell of a scam.
College tuition is a scam. It has been for a long time. Complaining about coach salaries is minor in the grand scheme of things. Plus college football is a huge money making enterprise for many colleges.

College tuition is a scam. It has been for a long time. Complaining about coach salaries is minor in the grand scheme of things. Plus college football is a huge money making enterprise for many colleges.
Yet somehow, tuition keeps going up. You can't have it both ways... Either the "huge money making enterprise" is making money or it isn't.

It never ceases to amaze me how much money the average Joe is willing to pump into the circuses...
I greatly enjoy watching college football, but haven’t paid for it in decades. I suspect this is true for the vast majority of fans.

Last game I attended was in the 90s at my alma mater. I did buy a front license plate with it’s symbol on it for $6.95 a couple years ago.

Yet somehow, tuition keeps going up. You can't have it both ways... Either the "huge money making enterprise" is making money or it isn't.
Tuition going up has nothing to do with coach salaries. It does have a lot to do with greed by college administrators.

If Alabama didn't pay Coach Saban, Auburn might sign him and that would be a catastrophe.

I can certainly understand the need to open the checkbook here.

BTW, better for Alabama to use their funds to get a quality football coach than to waste the money getting experts in CRT or feminist poetry.

But is he worth it?

Consider these facts:

Coach satan has to beat the Joe Pa record, after which, all the pedophile scandals will break

Tuition going up has nothing to do with coach salaries. It does have a lot to do with greed by college administrators.
What are you babbling about?

Greed? Education?

LOL

Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The goal is to make money. Education is secondary.

Not in the deep south. LSU's football team's locker room is nicer than their library.
I believe it.

Hey, if you're Clemson or Miami...do whatever you want. Its a private school. State universities shouldn't be shelling out this much money on the backs of tuition paying students. Its really cool having these athletic teams...I loved going to Texas A&M games, OSU games, and the occassional Wildcat game out here in Glendale is fun--its a different crowd (something about Pac 12 football just makes me feel like I'm watching a scrimmage though---I can't quite put my finger on it but I just can't get fully invested in college football in 90 degree heat). But this is a state supported university. Fielding a professional football team and paying the coach more than some professional coaches is not the role that it should be playing.

Forum List

Back