NFL Preview: Jets, Rosen, NY, Brady, Eagles, Saints

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Are you excited about NFL Season 99 [2018-2019]?

Many of us sports-fans are, including Philly-fans (Eagles!).

Here's my BOOK-REPORT for the upcoming season (I'll be looking at post-draft, summer/training camp, and preseason reports in August).

Here's to Heineken...

eagle.jpg

====

All NFL fans want to see the Philadelphia Eagles continue building on their post-Super Bowl momentum and keep winning in 2018. In fact, the Eagles are #1 in preseason power-rankings by most sports-writers (at NFL.com, ESPN, etc.). However, the New York Jets are suddenly 'exciting' (somewhat) thanks to the acquisition of powerhouse NCAAF QB Sam Darnold (USC). If the Jets soar in 2018, fans might be thinking that New York might produce another team (besides Eli Manning's Giants) that topples Brady's Patriots. "Brady's Patriots" --- is that a monolith?

nfl2.jpg

Josh Rosen (UCLA) was a terrific QB draft for 2018, and the Cardinals nabbed him. NFL.com suggests that the Dallas Cowboys can get back to the top of the NFC (after a disappointing season last year despite the hot-talents Dez Bryant, Dak Prescott, and Ezekiel Elliott) after having a solid 2018 Draft. Rosen might be a field-leader (who produced a tight and exciting game down to the 4th period against Darnold's USC team), so it wouldn't be surprising if Rosen rises to the challenge of the NFL arena and becomes a playmaker while Darnold struggles.

nfl1.jpg

There are so many teams, man! Heck, maybe after Brady's Patriots losing two Super Bowls [2008, 2012] to Eli Manning's NY Giants and then again to Foles' Eagles in Super Bowl 52 [2018], fans want to see any old team rising to the moment and creating great upset environments. Nevertheless, the Eagles, Patriots, and Rams (who had a terrific strong finish to their 2017 season) remain in the top 3 positions in most sports-analysts' power-rankings. I also like the chances of a lower-ranked but formidable team such as the New Orleans Saints (hey they still have Super Bowl winning QB Drew Brees!) surprising everyone the way the Eagles did last season.

nfl5.jpg

All Philly sports-fans are on a ginger-rush after the Eagles Super Bowl win and Villanova's NCAAB championship this year, and hence, they're somewhat worried about Penn State's incredible RB Saquon Barkley being drafted by the NY Giants who, hey, still boast Eli Manning as their now 'seasoned-QB.' Eagles fans don't want the Giants to rise again to challenge Brady's Patriots instead of their own team (QB'd by a rejuvenated Carson Wentz --- he is their starting-QB, right?). Will Barkley boost the Giants as Darnold boosts the Jets, making New York (not Philadelphia!) the right city to defy the sports-domination of New England and the Boston area? Bostonians, beware...

nfl3.png

After all is said and done, the NFL is still mostly about BBQs, Heineken, potato-chips, and TV Sunday Sunday Sunday!!! Fans from all teams will be boasting their team insignias/colors for 2018. I was about to get tickets to 3 Eagles came in the 2017 season (including the Eagles' game against the Giants late in the season), but the purchase-package (elite-box area) fell through, so I'm still 'haunted' (as an Eagles fan) about missing out on cheering for the eventual Super Bowl champions live in the stadium (alas!). Anyways, I'm also cheering for the Raiders this season who just might produce some cool play before moving to Las Vegas by 2020 (that's a whole other story).

nfl4.jpg

Never count out BRADY'S PATRIOTS. Tom Brady is perhaps in his twilight but he's still bloodthirsty and his coach doesn't want to hold him back unless HE HIMSELF wants to fade out in a relaxed manner (who can blame the legendary Goliath?). Brady's given the NFL something no other QB in NFL history has --- a week-by-week camplike sportsman's experience during which all NFL athletes admit that despite his machine-like play, he's the arguably IDEAL professional QB to practice and train (and hone) your competitive spirit. So never count out Brady. He might rebound and soar while the Eagles sink back into mediocrity and no one else (including Darnold's Jets, Barkley's Giants, and Rosen's Cardinals) rises to the challenge. Brady will most likely be compared to Bjorn Borg, Joe Montana, and maybe even Hulk Hogan.

nfl6.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see a very lowly-ranked team perform greatly during a single game, providing hungry NFL fans with a terrific Sunday sports experience. Perhaps that team is the Detroit Lions, the L.A. Chargers, the Oakland Raiders (low-ranked but daydreaming!); or a mid-range team like the Atlanta Falcons (still recovering from their heartbreaking loss to --- who else? --- BRADY'S PATRIOTS in Super Bowl 51 two seasons ago!).

If Sam Darnold's Jets or Josh Rosen's Cardinals rise to great heights thanks to great QB-play, sports-analysts will declare this the Era of Quarterbacks...

====

:dance:

jets5.jpg

Just as much I'm interested in how the 2nd year QB's perform - Deshaun Watson was great before his injury, now it is time for Patrick Mahomes and Mitchell Trubisky to step up. It ought to be interesting.

Are you excited about NFL Season 99 [2018-2019]?

Many of us sports-fans are, including Philly-fans (Eagles!).

Here's my BOOK-REPORT for the upcoming season (I'll be looking at post-draft, summer/training camp, and preseason reports in August).

Here's to Heineken...

View attachment 191369

====

All NFL fans want to see the Philadelphia Eagles continue building on their post-Super Bowl momentum and keep winning in 2018. In fact, the Eagles are #1 in preseason power-rankings by most sports-writers (at NFL.com, ESPN, etc.). However, the New York Jets are suddenly 'exciting' (somewhat) thanks to the acquisition of powerhouse NCAAF QB Sam Darnold (USC). If the Jets soar in 2018, fans might be thinking that New York might produce another team (besides Eli Manning's Giants) that topples Brady's Patriots. "Brady's Patriots" --- is that a monolith?

View attachment 191370

Josh Rosen (UCLA) was a terrific QB draft for 2018, and the Cardinals nabbed him. NFL.com suggests that the Dallas Cowboys can get back to the top of the NFC (after a disappointing season last year despite the hot-talents Dez Bryant, Dak Prescott, and Ezekiel Elliott) after having a solid 2018 Draft. Rosen might be a field-leader (who produced a tight and exciting game down to the 4th period against Darnold's USC team), so it wouldn't be surprising if Rosen rises to the challenge of the NFL arena and becomes a playmaker while Darnold struggles.

View attachment 191371

There are so many teams, man! Heck, maybe after Brady's Patriots losing two Super Bowls [2008, 2012] to Eli Manning's NY Giants and then again to Foles' Eagles in Super Bowl 52 [2018], fans want to see any old team rising to the moment and creating great upset environments. Nevertheless, the Eagles, Patriots, and Rams (who had a terrific strong finish to their 2017 season) remain in the top 3 positions in most sports-analysts' power-rankings. I also like the chances of a lower-ranked but formidable team such as the New Orleans Saints (hey they still have Super Bowl winning QB Drew Brees!) surprising everyone the way the Eagles did last season.

View attachment 191372

All Philly sports-fans are on a ginger-rush after the Eagles Super Bowl win and Villanova's NCAAB championship this year, and hence, they're somewhat worried about Penn State's incredible RB Saquon Barkley being drafted by the NY Giants who, hey, still boast Eli Manning as their now 'seasoned-QB.' Eagles fans don't want the Giants to rise again to challenge Brady's Patriots instead of their own team (QB'd by a rejuvenated Carson Wentz --- he is their starting-QB, right?). Will Barkley boost the Giants as Darnold boosts the Jets, making New York (not Philadelphia!) the right city to defy the sports-domination of New England and the Boston area? Bostonians, beware...

View attachment 191373

After all is said and done, the NFL is still mostly about BBQs, Heineken, potato-chips, and TV Sunday Sunday Sunday!!! Fans from all teams will be boasting their team insignias/colors for 2018. I was about to get tickets to 3 Eagles came in the 2017 season (including the Eagles' game against the Giants late in the season), but the purchase-package (elite-box area) fell through, so I'm still 'haunted' (as an Eagles fan) about missing out on cheering for the eventual Super Bowl champions live in the stadium (alas!). Anyways, I'm also cheering for the Raiders this season who just might produce some cool play before moving to Las Vegas by 2020 (that's a whole other story).

View attachment 191375

Never count out BRADY'S PATRIOTS. Tom Brady is perhaps in his twilight but he's still bloodthirsty and his coach doesn't want to hold him back unless HE HIMSELF wants to fade out in a relaxed manner (who can blame the legendary Goliath?). Brady's given the NFL something no other QB in NFL history has --- a week-by-week camplike sportsman's experience during which all NFL athletes admit that despite his machine-like play, he's the arguably IDEAL professional QB to practice and train (and hone) your competitive spirit. So never count out Brady. He might rebound and soar while the Eagles sink back into mediocrity and no one else (including Darnold's Jets, Barkley's Giants, and Rosen's Cardinals) rises to the challenge. Brady will most likely be compared to Bjorn Borg, Joe Montana, and maybe even Hulk Hogan.

View attachment 191376

Personally, I'd like to see a very lowly-ranked team perform greatly during a single game, providing hungry NFL fans with a terrific Sunday sports experience. Perhaps that team is the Detroit Lions, the L.A. Chargers, the Oakland Raiders (low-ranked but daydreaming!); or a mid-range team like the Atlanta Falcons (still recovering from their heartbreaking loss to --- who else? --- BRADY'S PATRIOTS in Super Bowl 51 two seasons ago!).

If Sam Darnold's Jets or Josh Rosen's Cardinals rise to great heights thanks to great QB-play, sports-analysts will declare this the Era of Quarterbacks...

====

View attachment 191368
I am a B rowns fan I have found it difficult to be excited about the upcoming season for a while!

Edgewood Stakes (Kentucky Derby): Prozac

I agree with both of you; it could be interesting with newfound QBs and it's sort of challenging to sift around looking for the intrigue. That's why I suggested the reason to THAT --- Tom Brady and his Patriots. As long as Brady's on the field under Belichick's Patriots, it feels like everything else is 'up-in-the-air.' That's why the momentum created by surging teams last season (i.e., Rams and Eagles) will be the thing to meditate on for this upcoming season!!

So here's a coffee-break update involving today's Edgewood Stakes horse-race at Churchill Downs, a precursor race to tomorrow's iconic Kentucky Derby race (I'm cheering for the race-horse My Boy Jack!!).

The impressive horse Toinette won the Edgewood Stakes today with an amazing last-leg burst, passing the leaders in an incredible unbreakable-stride.

====

Who is this? This woman is also named Toinette. Does she like the New England Patriots??

toinette1.png

Toinette (the race-horse) doing quite well here in 2017 and was hungry for today's Edgewood Stakes. Toinette took the title in a convincing and compelling fashion. I was disappointed, since I was cheering for her rivals Daddy is a Legend and Altea. Alas!

toinette2.jpg

What would Donald Trump say about Toinette? What would he say about my horse I picked to win Edgewood --- Altea? Actually, everyone wants to know what Trump thinks of Tom Brady.

trump4.jpg

So I'll keep toolin away readying myself to cheer for the Eagles (and maybe also the Saints!). No one will be surprised if Brady returns to his title-grabbing poise, but everyone will be excited to see the Eagles keep winning, the Rams rise to the challenge, or a newly-QB-enhanced team (i.e., Jets, Cardinals, Browns) do well because of great leadership. In the meanwhile, enjoy a Wall Street film or tomorrow's Kentucky Derby race, my friends...so here's a He Said, She Said rap about Toinette today. It's helping me provide humor-relief as I think about the inevitable possibility that Brady's Patriots will become 6-3 in Super Bowls (what is that?). Think of alternatives to beer-nuts for Super Bowl depression.

royals1.jpg

MAX: I can't believe my horse (Altea) lost!
JANE: Too bad, honey; my horse (Toinette) won the Edgewood Stakes.
MAX: Toinette did very well in that last-end surge.
JANE: Others were leading the whole way or pulling-up...
MAX: Yes, and Toinette's burst helped her decidedly take the title.
JANE: You must be depressed...
MAX: I am. At least Brady's Patriots lost Super Bowl 52 [2018].
JANE: Brady's 5-3 in Super Bowls. I mean, is that sad or scary?
MAX: He's a Super Bowl god; he's lost to Eli Manning's Giants twice and the Eagles.
JANE: Well, the Eagles' backup-QB (Nick Foles) helped down Brady's Patriots.
MAX: But who cares, right? Brady's 5-3 (like you said); he's officially Mr. Super Bowl.
JANE: Don't feel worried, Max! Who knows? Maybe Sam Darnold's NY Jets will be the answer.
MAX: Anything feels like a longshot as long as Brady's still playing for Belichick.
JANE: Well, my horse Toinette's won the Edgewood stakes; go back to your abacus (or computer)!

====

bud1.jpg

As a 49ers fan I am, of course, looking to see how much of the late-season success they can replicate this year. Now that the team has a franchise QB in Jimmy G, how will the other pieces fall into place? Will McGlinchey turn out to be a good pick at #9, or should the Niners have gone with one of the supposedly more talented players available? Will trading Carlos Hyde and bringing in Jerrick McKinnon work? Will Pierre Garcon coming back from injury be enough to keep the passing game rolling? Will the D be able to hold up?

For the rest of the league, I'm very curious to see how this QB class pans out. There's so much hype behind this draft, I almost would enjoy seeing the QBs turn out to be busts. :p Of the first round QBs, the one I'd like to see have the most success is Baker Mayfield. I know a lot of pundits and fans thought he was the wrong pick at #1, but the Browns have been bad for so long, I'm hoping he turns out to be a good pick for them.

As happens every year recently, and will continue until he retires, we have the question of whether Brady can continue playing as an elite QB.

I agree that New Orleans is a threat. I don't think they are a mid-tier team, I think they are definitely upper-echelon. Barring one bonehead play, they'd have been the ones playing the Eagles in the NFC Championship game. Brees is still Brees, so the question now is whether the rookies who played so well last year can keep it up this year.

Another question that hasn't been brought up yet in this thread: will Cousins be the improvement over Keenum his salary would indicate, or will he play at about the same level, or will he suck in Minnesota?

Plenty of interesting stories to watch going into the season.

Forum List

Back