Yeah when having a serious discussion on best ever Lombardi wins hands down,no contest..Shula would be best modern day greatest coach then Parcells after him and Holmgren would have to be considered after Shula and Parcells.

I like that list a lot, just a couple changes I'd make myself.

Holmgren is a tough sell for me, especially on any list that leaves off Bill Walsh. I am not sure I'd even put him in over Cowher, Coughlin and Gibbs...

I mean whether a coach today calls his offense a WCO or not, EVERYONE runs them. And it just made offensive football so efficient. You can look at the guys like Young, Elway, Bono, Grbac, etc in the WCO and out of it and it's night and day. And that was Walsh's baby who first made it truly successful at the NFL level. And innovations in traveling, game scripting of plays, practices... Nobody's changed the NFL more in the past 50 years than him.

I'd also put in Landry much as I hate the Cowboys. Came up with the 4-3, and then when teams started using it back on him, made the Shotgun a normal formation to beat it. Both sides of the ball he was just excellent. And a great leader.

And Paul Brown. Great leader and amazing innovator. Came up with full time coaching, film study, calling plays from the sidelines, and was able to make the BROWNS a dynasty even.

And another I hate. Belichick. How he works the modern game, the salary cap, free agency, the draft. Easily up there. Especially when you look at the changes. His offensive schemes completely change over. And it's not like he's got these great coordinators having all this success elsewhere.

So yeah my top 10 list in no particular order would be Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Walsh, Brown, Belichick, Halas, Lambeau, Noll, and Parcells.

Forum List

Back