New York Times employees angry that the company wants them to return to in office work

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Ohhhhhhhh, poor babies! The Times wants them to return to at least three days a week in the office. How dare they!!

1,300 New York Times employees refuse to return to office​

More than a thousand New York Times staffers are refusing to return to the office and are threatening a strike if the company does not meet demands from an employee union.

On Monday, the Times Guild said it had delivered a letter to the news organization’s corporate leadership with the names of nearly 1,300 NewsGuild member employees who have signed a pledge to continue to work remotely this week, the first week the company wants its journalists back in the office.

“We will continue to produce high-quality, award-winning work, while reminding the company it cannot unilaterally change our working conditions,” the Times Guild said.

Any return to office policy “as a matter of workplace health and safety, should be a part of our negotiated contracts,” the union argued, noting it believes any return to office procedures should fall in the same negotiating camp as “provisions for fair wages, equitable treatment for members” and other matters as it relates to the Times’s workplace.

I guess working in a 6 x 6 foot cubicle is more productive

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhh, poor babies! The Times wants them to return to at least three days a week in the office. How dare they!!

Hard to believe Covid is still running rampant in Biden's America, so much so that people are scared to go back to work.

Lock em out. Hire replacements. NYC needs more homeless.

Nothing new.

Democrats don't like work and want to be paid anyway.

I guess working in a 6 x 6 foot cubicle is more productive

Actually it is. When you have a supervisor making sure you're working, you work.

The people I contacted working from home is a pain in the ass. First of all the line gets disconnected all the time. Secondly they get so lazy they don't even want to talk on the phone so they use the speaker phone. In the conversation you hear dogs barking, kids screaming or playing in the background, and it sounds like you're trying to understand somebody talking in a tunnel.

Wait times are longer since people working from home have breakfast when they feel like it instead of breakfast first thing in the morning before they leave for work. They don't have the resources to solve a complicated problem, and can't go to the supervisor for help

If you're getting paid to go to work, then you go to work.

Actually it is. When you have a supervisor making sure you're working, you work.
Why not just provide assignments and evaluate whether those assignments are completed on time and evaluate their quality?

How productive is supervising your cubicles?

sss,small,product_square,1000x1000.jpg

Why not just provide assignments and evaluate whether those assignments are completed on time and evaluate their quality?

How productive is supervising your cubicles?

I've read articles (mostly during covid) where companies were getting less performance out of their employees by working from home. Never kept them because I didn't think it would be a topic one day. I mean.........who would think that it would be? During covid, people stayed home for a reason. Now there is no reason to stay home. You''re getting paid to go to work, then go to work.

I've read articles (mostly during covid) where companies were getting less performance out of their employees by working from home. Never kept them because I didn't think it would be a topic one day. I mean.........who would think that it would be? During covid, people stayed home for a reason. Now there is no reason to stay home. You''re getting paid to go to work, then go to work.
What is so productive about a 6 x 6 cubicle?

I worked for 40 years and traveled all over the country for face to face meetings. Now, they mostly have teleconferences

The world is changing

What is so productive about a 6 x 6 cubicle?

I worked for 40 years and traveled all over the country for face to face meetings. Now, they mostly have teleconferences

The world is changing

The OP is not about meetings, it's about going back to work.

As opposed to sitting on the couch watching The View?
Yes.

Again, how do you measure productivity?

By showing your face in a cubicle or based on actual output.
If you are sitting home and not getting the job done, you deserve to be fired
Same goes for inhabiting a cubicle

The point is, meetings are now done remotely. Management insists on it.
Just like telework can be done remotely

That's up to the employer, not the employee. The employer determines if they are satisfied with you working from home, and if the employer is not, then you simply go to work like every other American.

My sister worked from home as well as a life long friend of mine that works for the electric company. When their employers decided they wanted them back at the office, they simply went. They still work at home much of the time, but for the tasks their employer feels they need them back at shop, they didn't hesitate to go back; it's what they did anyway before covid.

That's up to the employer, not the employee. The employer determines if they are satisfied with you working from home, and if the employer is not, then you simply go to work like every other American.

My sister worked from home as well as a life long friend of mine that works for the electric company. When their employers decided they wanted them back at the office, they simply went. They still work at home much of the time, but for the tasks their employer feels they need them back at shop, they didn't hesitate to go back; it's what they did anyway before covid.

Working conditions are negotiable.
Why we have unions

Forum List

Back