New study shows concealed carry means fewer murders

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
And weapons bans do nothing.

"Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states. It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level. The results of this study are consistent with some prior research in this area, most notably Lott and Mustard (1997).
Intriguing.
For more background: The most recent Reason-Rupe poll reports that 63 percent of Americans don't believe that stricter gun laws would keep weapons out of the hands of criminals."

Concealed Carry Means Fewer Murders, Says New Study - Hit & Run : Reason.com

And weapons bans do nothing.

"Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states. It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level. The results of this study are consistent with some prior research in this area, most notably Lott and Mustard (1997).
Intriguing.
For more background: The most recent Reason-Rupe poll reports that 63 percent of Americans don't believe that stricter gun laws would keep weapons out of the hands of criminals."

Concealed Carry Means Fewer Murders, Says New Study - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Weapons bans only effect law-abiding citizens. In effect, putting law-abidding citizens at a tactical disadvantage.

Would think though if one of the aims is to deter crime, open-carry would do that better than concealed-carry. Thinking of the Israeli IDF soldiers with M-16s slung over their backs getting an ice cream, that deters me from criminal thoughts thinking of other things entirely. :) Btw, if my boyish enthusiasm offends anyone I do apologise. While there are few things in this world I'm willing to risk my life for, the IDF is among them.

Attachments

• $IDF Girls Ice Cream.jpg
    $IDF Girls Ice Cream.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 91
This is disturbing to our citizens in Hawaii
HAWAII

FROM THE 2010 ANNUAL REPORT ON FIREARM ACTIVITY IN HAWAII:

LICENSES TO CARRY FIREARMS

" HAWAII’S COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENTS ALSO PROCESS LICENSE APPLICATIONS FOR THE OPEN AND/OR CONCEALED

CARRY OF FIREARMS IN PUBLIC. STATEWIDE IN 2010, 183 EMPLOYEES OF PRIVATE SECURITY FIRMS WERE ISSUED

CARRY LICENSES, AND SEVEN (3.7%) WERE REJECTED. THREE PRIVATE CITIZENS APPLIED FOR A CONCEALED CARRY

LICENSE IN THE CITY & COUNTY OF HONOLULU AND WERE REJECTED FOR NOT MEETING THE CRITERIA ESTABLISHED BY THE CHIEF OF POLICE."

THANKS TO RICK BOATRIGHT
United States Concealed Carry Statistics

From the same link

ILLINOIS

NO CCW LAW IN THIS STATE

(RUMOR HAS IT THAT IF YOU KNOW WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS BURIED, THEY WILL LET YOU CARRY IN ILLINOIS.)

Weapons bans only effect law-abiding citizens. In effect, putting law-abidding citizens at a tactical disadvantage.

:clap2:

Sure, but who's concerned with facts and, you know, actual results? It's what feels right that counts...:doubt:

This is an estimation of the concealed carry gun owners in the U.S. GRANTED THEIR WAS NO INFORMATION ON A COUPLE OF STATES THIS IS CLOSE TO WHAT WE HAVE

9,544,706 +++

This is an estimation of the concealed carry gun owners in the U.S. GRANTED THEIR WAS NO INFORMATION ON A COUPLE OF STATES THIS IS CLOSE TO WHAT WE HAVE

9,544,706 +++

And as we all know, during this meteoric rise in the number of CC permits, the incidents of violent crime and murder have skyrocketed, haven't they? A bloodbath in the streets, right???

No, the opposite happened?

Well shit, what next, are you going to tell me the nanny state liberal gun grabbers were wrong? Please...not possible. I've been assured they know what's best for us all. :eusa_whistle:

Violent crime and murder is down nationwide whether it is in concealed carry areas or not

I have very mixed feelings about carrying a gun.. I certainly don't want to be armed when I am loading the dishwasher or doing laundry.. but you hear all these horrid stories about home invasions.. and then the step father who shoots his errant 14 year old sneaking into the cellar window at 6 AM.

Yes, well, don't shoot at things you can't see. Nobody should ever be that scared.

I have very mixed feelings about carrying a gun.. I certainly don't want to be armed when I am loading the dishwasher or doing laundry..

You are free to remain unprepared. Your right.

but you hear all these horrid stories about home invasions..

So why would you remain unprepared?

and then the step father who shoots his errant 14 year old sneaking into the cellar window at 6 AM.

The ignorant actions of others does not prevent you from making better decisions.

I have very mixed feelings about carrying a gun.. I certainly don't want to be armed when I am loading the dishwasher or doing laundry.. but you hear all these horrid stories about home invasions.. and then the step father who shoots his errant 14 year old sneaking into the cellar window at 6 AM.

That's silly. If a person has their weapon on safety, there's not really any change of an accidental discharge.

As far as the step dad shooting his step son, you're supposed to make a positive ID on anything you're going to shoot. Basic gun rules.

People pay for their stupid decisions everyday.

I have very mixed feelings about carrying a gun.. I certainly don't want to be armed when I am loading the dishwasher or doing laundry..

but you hear all these horrid stories about home invasions..

and then the step father who shoots his errant 14 year old sneaking into the cellar window at 6 AM.

The ignorant actions of others does not prevent you from making better decisions.

I have caught two intruders in my home over the years.. I backed one down with a knife.. and the other down by throwing a lamp... and that was years ago when I was quick and aggressive.

These days.. I don't know. Even ten years ago I think I could have shot an intruder.. but now I fear he would take my gun and shoot me.

I just don't think its an easy answer.

As for errant teens... I wouldn't want to shoot one.

Yeah don't bring out a gun if you aren't comfortable with it, level headed..and it's loaded and ready to go.

But the stats show that it's EXTREMELY rare..as in almost never happens...that an intruder takes a weapon from an armed victim. It just doesn't happen.

I used to carry a weapon on the job after getting out of the Navy. Though I got out of that line of work in large part because it's a bad mental place to be 24/7, I'd still like to have the option at least. But one of the things I noticed right away was without a firearm at the ready I wasn't viewing people as threat or no-threat any more. When you can't really do anything about threats you view people differently. If you're armed and could, you do tend to become hyper-vigilant. And maintaining that all the time is a really sickly place to be in your head.

I have caught two intruders in my home over the years.. I backed one down with a knife..

So you understand the importance of preparedness. Excellent.

and the other down by throwing a lamp...

One does what one can.

and that was years ago when I was quick and aggressive.

All the more reason to train with more effective means of self defense than a lamp.

These days.. I don't know. Even ten years ago I think I could have shot an intruder.. but now I fear he would take my gun and shoot me.

An unfounded fear. Get trained and you'll quickly realize nobody can take a firearm from you. That's movie crapola.

I just don't think its an easy answer.

No one said it would be. Life's tough, get a helmet.

As for errant teens... I wouldn't want to shoot one.

Again, an unfounded fear for anyone trained to operate a firearm. One NEVER fires at something without knowing exactly what they're shooting at, what's behind their target, and only after being darn sure their life is in danger. Don't believe the hype. Don't believe Hollywood. Get to a qualified trainer and get a CC license.

Gun control is not giving a 120lb woman the 'right' to fist fight a 250lb rapist. You deserve better.

Forum List

Back