New study shows concealed carry means fewer murders

I have very mixed feelings about carrying a gun.. I certainly don't want to be armed when I am loading the dishwasher or doing laundry.. but you hear all these horrid stories about home invasions.. and then the step father who shoots his errant 14 year old sneaking into the cellar window at 6 AM.

I used to carry a weapon on the job after getting out of the Navy. Though I got out of that line of work in large part because it's a bad mental place to be 24/7, I'd still like to have the option at least. But one of the things I noticed right away was without a firearm at the ready I wasn't viewing people as threat or no-threat any more. When you can't really do anything about threats you view people differently. If you're armed and could, you do tend to become hyper-vigilant. And maintaining that all the time is a really sickly place to be in your head.

Try being paranoid and whether armed or not viewing everyone as a threat.

Video cameras do more to prevent crime than guns

Um no they don't. Every convenience store these days has such a system, and yet what gets robbed every day regardless? Cameras don't prevent crime, they simply document it.

Might be a bit too obscure a reference so:

The 12th century theologian and author John of Salisbury used a version of the phrase in a treatise on logic called Metalogicon, written in Latin in 1159. Translations of this difficult book are quite variable but the gist of what Salisbury said is:

"We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours."

The phrase may even pre-date John of Salisbury, who was known to have adapted and refined the work of others.

Forum List

Back