New Orleans City Council Gives Confederate Monuments The Boot

tumblr_nqax3vxPTn1qb3blyo1_500.jpg

Lee learned quicker than today's racists.

So far, there are more Confederate flags on display now than before the flag flap.

Fly it proud!

The South doesn't need to rise. It needs to get into the foundation and weaken that.

The hilarious thing is the OP (Sloping Brow) doesn't realize the Indians mostly aligned themselves with the Confederacy. You can't make this stuff up

The hilarious thing is the OP (Sloping Brow) doesn't realize the Indians mostly aligned themselves with the Confederacy. You can't make this stuff up

No, you just can't make it up - but you do...

Prove me wrong numb nuts. C'mon little one, do it LOL I know you can't, the Indians even had flags fashioned after <GASP> the Confederate battle flags. You don't even know your own "peoples" history....you're no native American

Wow! I think the one to Beauregard should remain somewhere in some visibility.

He was a major Louisianan of the time.

You change a people, and the nation, I mean city is not the same city it was.

The culture is gone and replaced by something that has little if any connection with what came before.

Indeed, any remnants of the old society might be destroyed for little or no reason.

I visited the park this summer. We wanted a nice quiet corner to ourselves.

We found one.

Under the overgrowth I realize the monument was to some great inventor/capitalist.

It was very impressive. And forgotten.

The destruction of old monuments, old churches, and old shrines, is, in my opinion, a more despicable crime than killing people.

It means history itself is being erased.

The destruction of old monuments, old churches, and old shrines, is, in my opinion, a more despicable crime than killing people.

It depends on the context. The celebration of civil war against our nation has always seemed odd to me. Like a monument in the town square to an attempt to assassinate a president.

History will be erased and a new one fabricated. Orwell understood that very well.

It depends on the context. The celebration of civil war against our nation has always seemed odd to me. Like a monument in the town square to an attempt to assassinate a president.
People are entitled to their history, even if you don't like it.

Robert E. Lee is almost a god to Southern people. If it wasn't for his brilliance on the field, the Civil War would have ended much sooner.

We are not going to learn from history if we erase it. The Confederate flag is also a reminder how citizens can turn on one another if we don't start working together. Let's learn from history.

People are entitled to their history, even if you don't like it.

People aren't entitled to monuments to war against our nation. You can tell due to all the lack of domenstic monuments to the Japanese who killed our soldiers in WW2 for example.

Rememberance and celebration aren't the same thing.

Robert E. Lee is almost a god to Southern people. If it wasn't for his brilliance on the field, the Civil War would have ended much sooner.

And saved tens of thousands of northers and southern lives if it had ended sooner. Again, Lee waged war against the United States. He led armies that killed our soldiers. I would no more expect to see a monument to Lee in our territory than I would a monument to Romell or Yamamoto.

We are not going to learn from history if we erase it. The Confederate flag is also a reminder how citizens can turn on one another if we don't start working together. Let's learn from history.

Really? You must not be an Adolf Trump supporter.

You don't need a confederate flag waving over a state capitol to remember anything you've cited. It makes no more sense than waving the Japanese Imperial Flag in our town centers.

Forum List

Back