New Documentary Reveals Jane Roe's Late Life Conversion Was An Act Paid For By Anti Choicers

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
You might think the most seismic fake conversion of all time was Donald Trump pretending to be a pro-life Christian conservative. (If you sprinkled holy water on him once a fortnight, the resulting chemical reaction could likely provide cheap, renewable energy for a mid-sized American city.)

Well, according to a new FX documentary, Trump’s Constantine-like conversion is not the biggest nor phoniest of the past several decades.

The documentary, AKA Jane Roe, chronicles the public life of Norma McCorvey, who became famous as plaintiff Jane Roe in the landmark Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade, which made abortion safe and legal across the country.

However, in her later years, encouraged by a cabal of evangelical right-wingers, McCorvey appeared to hew to the pro-life cause.

The Daily Beast:

[C]onservatives had a field day in the mid-‘90s when the assertive, media-savvy pro-choice advocate and activist McCorvey became an anti-abortion born-again ex-gay Christian with the help of leaders of the evangelical Christian right, Reverend Flip Benham (of the infamous Operation Rescue) and Reverend Rob Schenck. A conservative film, Roe v. Wade, starring Jon Voight and Stacey Dash, will dramatize McCorvey’s “conversion.”
Sounds inspiring if you believe Adam and Eve road out of Eden on tricked-out velociraptors. But that’s apparently not the whole story.

In the final third of director Nick Sweeney’s 79-minute documentary, featuring many end-of-life reflections from McCorvey—who grew up queer, poor, and was sexually abused by a family member her mother sent her to live with after leaving reform school—the former Jane Roe admits that her later turn to the anti-abortion camp as a born-again Christian was “all an act.”
“This is my deathbed confession,” she chuckles, sitting in a chair in her nursing home room, on oxygen. Sweeney asks McCorvey, “Did [the evangelicals] use you as a trophy?” “Of course,” she replies. “I was the Big Fish.” “Do you think you would say that you used them?” Sweeney responds. “Well,” says McCorvey, “I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.”
Whoopsie.

You’d think a movement supposedly predicated on truth, justice, and the American way would be a little more, uh, honest. But right-wing Christians haven’t done honest since … well, I can’t recall when they ever did, really.

And it’s not like they were plying her with coffee and muffins. According to The Daily Beast, the documentary reveals that McCorvey received at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” from anti-choicers.

So, yeah, more bullshit from the biggest bullshitters in modern history.

Whether it’s Jim Bakker selling silver solution as a coronavirus cure or preachers paying off an icon to fake the latter part of her life, it’s all part of the same shifty grift.

Now if only Donald Trump would come clean.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Oh, silly Aldous. You cray.

$456,911.00 In "Benevolent Gifts" can buy a lot of "Truth"

You might think the most seismic fake conversion of all time was Donald Trump pretending to be a pro-life Christian conservative. (If you sprinkled holy water on him once a fortnight, the resulting chemical reaction could likely provide cheap, renewable energy for a mid-sized American city.)

Well, according to a new FX documentary, Trump’s Constantine-like conversion is not the biggest nor phoniest of the past several decades.

The documentary, AKA Jane Roe, chronicles the public life of Norma McCorvey, who became famous as plaintiff Jane Roe in the landmark Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade, which made abortion safe and legal across the country.

However, in her later years, encouraged by a cabal of evangelical right-wingers, McCorvey appeared to hew to the pro-life cause.

The Daily Beast:

[C]onservatives had a field day in the mid-‘90s when the assertive, media-savvy pro-choice advocate and activist McCorvey became an anti-abortion born-again ex-gay Christian with the help of leaders of the evangelical Christian right, Reverend Flip Benham (of the infamous Operation Rescue) and Reverend Rob Schenck. A conservative film, Roe v. Wade, starring Jon Voight and Stacey Dash, will dramatize McCorvey’s “conversion.”
Sounds inspiring if you believe Adam and Eve road out of Eden on tricked-out velociraptors. But that’s apparently not the whole story.

In the final third of director Nick Sweeney’s 79-minute documentary, featuring many end-of-life reflections from McCorvey—who grew up queer, poor, and was sexually abused by a family member her mother sent her to live with after leaving reform school—the former Jane Roe admits that her later turn to the anti-abortion camp as a born-again Christian was “all an act.”
“This is my deathbed confession,” she chuckles, sitting in a chair in her nursing home room, on oxygen. Sweeney asks McCorvey, “Did [the evangelicals] use you as a trophy?” “Of course,” she replies. “I was the Big Fish.” “Do you think you would say that you used them?” Sweeney responds. “Well,” says McCorvey, “I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.”
Whoopsie.

You’d think a movement supposedly predicated on truth, justice, and the American way would be a little more, uh, honest. But right-wing Christians haven’t done honest since … well, I can’t recall when they ever did, really.

And it’s not like they were plying her with coffee and muffins. According to The Daily Beast, the documentary reveals that McCorvey received at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” from anti-choicers.

Whether it’s Jim Bakker selling silver solution as a coronavirus cure or preachers paying off an icon to fake the latter part of her life, it’s all part of the same shifty grift.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

I am so not surprised.

So, because you don’t like those she hung with, and changed her mind, you think that means she didn’t justifiably change her mind. Oh, please!

I contacted Norma right about the time she became "pro-life." I argued with her both online and also twice on the phone about what I thought was a need to leave religion OUT of her arguments, if she really wanted to see Roe overturned.

She didn't know me from anyone.

Yet she held to her religious views and got very heated with me, insisting that she would still be pro-choice if it were not for her (new?) religious convictions.

I don't doubt that she was ever paid. She was definitely TIRED of being used by BOTH sides and she even talked about suicide, because she was so tired of the whole thing. Towards the end, we talked mostly about her love of all kinds of music and her love for playing pool and of all things, beer.

Norma was a very deeply troubled individual and I sincerely felt sorry for her.

Daily Kooks...VERY fake nooz.

But another tree-fiddy in the bank for the spam master OP.

giphy.gif

So, because you don’t like those she hung with, and changed her mind, you think that means she didn’t justifiably change her mind. Oh, please!

No because she said so.

She made a death bed statement about it.

She never changed her mind.

She was doing what so many more in the anti choice movement have been doing for decades. She lied. For the only reason being money and adoration from people like you.

The whole time she was scamming people like you while laughing at them behind their backs.

Like so many in your so called movement, you've been royally played.

Evangelicals are the biggest fakes, the biggest hypocrites, and the least like Jesus, who they NEVER quote.

The Daily Beast:

Whoopsie.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Coming as a surprise to no one.

I contacted Norma right about the time she became "pro-life." I argued with her both online and also twice on the phone about what I thought was a need to leave religion OUT of her arguments, if she really wanted to see Roe overturned.

She didn't know me from anyone.

Yet she held to her religious views and got very heated with me, insisting that she would still be pro-choice if it were not for her (new?) religious convictions.

I don't doubt that she was ever paid. She was definitely TIRED of being used by BOTH sides and she even talked about suicide, because she was so tired of the whole thing. Towards the end, we talked mostly about her love of all kinds of music and her love for playing pool and of all things, beer.

Norma was a very deeply troubled individual and I sincerely felt sorry for her.
It’s further confirmation of the fact that for the social right, ‘abortion’ is a wedge issue, a political weapon conservatives use to attack opponents, and red meat for the base, having nothing whatsoever to do with ‘ending’ abortion.

Indeed, the last thing conservatives want is to lose ‘abortion’ as a hot-button wedge issue.

Daily Kooks...VERY fake nooz.

But another tree-fiddy in the bank for the spam master OP.

giphy.gif

It’s currently being advertised all over cable tv.

And once again you come off looking like the dumbest sob on social media.

Imagine just how stupid you’re going to look the day the show broadcasts?

I’ll be back to discuss the ratings with you after it airs.

Apparently this thread is about religion vs secularism, furthermore, misses the fact that the abortion issue was an essential component to the women's rights movement that was headed to court regardless of who the players were. A person's religious beliefs are nothing more or less than their personal belief in the existence of God or not. Key word here is personal belief. Regardless this is a states right issue to permit or restrict not the nanny state.

Forum List

Back