Why Were Christian Constitutional Conservatives So Wrong About Abortion??

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA
Simple question.....thru-out the 60's and 70's -- why did so many Christian Conservatives who professed love for the Constitution; get it so wrong about abortion??

"White evangelicals in the 1970s did not mobilize against Roe v. Wade, which they considered a Catholic issue. They organized instead to defend racial segregation in evangelical institutions, including Bob Jones University. The historical record is clear. In 1968, Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, organized a conference with the Christian Medical Society The historical record is clear. In 1968, Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, organized a conference with the Christian Medical Society -- they concluded: “Whether the performance of an induced abortion is sinful we are not agreed,” the statement read, “but about the necessity of it and permissibility for it under certain circumstances we are in accord. Carl F. H. Henry, the magazine’s founder, affirmed that “a woman’s body is not the domain and property of others,"

How could someone like the Christian Medical Society get it so wrong?? Did they not know Jesus is against abortion? The same Bible they used to condemn abortion now is the same Bible that existed then...how could they claim abortion is a necessity and permissible? Did they not care about the children? But it gets worse.....

"Meeting in St. Louis in 1971, the messengers (delegates) to the Southern Baptist Convention, hardly a redoubt of liberalism, passed a resolution calling for the legalization of abortion, a position they reaffirmed in 1974 — a year after Roe — and again in 1976. When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas and sometime president of the Southern Baptist Convention, issued a statement praising the ruling. “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” Criswell declared."

Again, what Bible were these people looking at?? Abortion is murder and mothers should be put to death for such an abomination....why was there so much ambiguity on this?? No such wishy washy language existed when they were using Biblical justifications to call for executing gays or railing against the evils of desegregation and miscegenation -- why not that same heat for abortion?? but wait, there's more....even Ronald Reagan, the second coming of Jesus himself, signed into law a big pro-abortion bill...was he not a conservative then?? Did he not love Jesus?

"When the issue surfaced in the first months of his governorship, Reagan was unsure how to react. Surprising as it may seem today, in 1967 abortion was not the great public issue that it is today. Reagan later admitted that abortion had been “a subject I’d never given much thought to.”

How could he have never given much thought to it, but then signed the most liberal pro-abortion bill in the country that year? Hell, even the great superhero Libertarian Conservative, Ayn Rand said this about abortion.....

quote-abortion-is-a-moral-right-which-should-be-left-to-the-sole-discretion-of-the-woman-invol...jpg

I mean I know she is an Atheist and you right-wingers give her a pass because she hated black folks and other shit as much as you did -- but even for a Jesus-hating atheist, this is pretty twisted stuff from her.....how did these Conservatives get it all wrong -- and then all suddenly in the span of a few years -- suddenly launch a crusade against abortion and women's health rights??

Oh, I remember......racism......

"After several decades of research, I can state without fear of contradiction that evangelicals mobilized politically in the 1970s not, as commonly supposed, in opposition to the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling of 1973, but rather in defense of racial segregation at Bob Jones University and at all-white “segregation academies,” many of them church-sponsored. The durability of what I call the abortion myth, the fiction that opposition to legalized abortion was the catalyst of their movement, can be attributed to the founders of the Religious Right themselves."

Like how Ronald Reagan campaigned in 1980 to defend the right of universities like Bob Jones to racially segregate....I guess that is how Bob Jones was able to get away with banning interracial dating on their campus all the way up to the year 2000....Or how the founder of the Religious Right, Paul Weyrich was pissed that the IRS were planning to rescind the tax-exempt statuses of religious institutions that instituted segregation....in the papers he wrote; he essentially admitted:
"Now, Falwell and other leaders of the Religious Right had a “respectable” issue, opposition to abortion, one that would energize white evangelicals — and, not incidentally, divert attention from the real origins of "our movement."

So once abortion is banned at the federal level, because that is definitely next -- what more red meat can you offer to the rabid evangelical base?? Because the beast will have to be fed.....can't be abortion anymore....Contraceptives?? Yea, that may hold them off for a moment....but sooner or later, you are going to have to throw them a bone and do something about their first love....segregation....at least bring back the whole separate but equal doctrine and use that to get your segregation rocks off....it's definitely coming...people like me have been right about the religious right so far.....even when so-called "small government Conservatives" were assuring us "relax bro, you are just overreacting, no one is asking for that" -- when it came to banning abortion, same-sex marriages, epealing Lawrence v Texas; and ultimately attacking the very concept of the 14th amendment....oh, but when that pendulum swings back in the other direction....I doubt many of the reactionary right-wingers will be able to handle it...they are far too fragile to deal with an ounce of the oppression they love seeing inflicted on others...because for a right-winger, equality feels like oppression...always have been....

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple question.....thru-out the 60's and 70's -- why did so many Christian Conservatives who professed love for the Constitution; get it so wrong about abortion??

"White evangelicals in the 1970s did not mobilize against Roe v. Wade, which they considered a Catholic issue. They organized instead to defend racial segregation in evangelical institutions, including Bob Jones University. The historical record is clear. In 1968, Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, organized a conference with the Christian Medical Society The historical record is clear. In 1968, Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, organized a conference with the Christian Medical Society -- they concluded: “Whether the performance of an induced abortion is sinful we are not agreed,” the statement read, “but about the necessity of it and permissibility for it under certain circumstances we are in accord. Carl F. H. Henry, the magazine’s founder, affirmed that “a woman’s body is not the domain and property of others,"

How could someone like the Christian Medical Society get it so wrong?? Did they not know Jesus is against abortion? The same Bible they used to condemn abortion now is the same Bible that existed then...how could they claim abortion is a necessity and permissible? Did they not care about the children? But it gets worse.....

"Meeting in St. Louis in 1971, the messengers (delegates) to the Southern Baptist Convention, hardly a redoubt of liberalism, passed a resolution calling for the legalization of abortion, a position they reaffirmed in 1974 — a year after Roe — and again in 1976. When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas and sometime president of the Southern Baptist Convention, issued a statement praising the ruling. “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” Criswell declared."

Again, what Bible were these people looking at?? Abortion is murder and mothers should be put to death for such an abomination....why was there so much ambiguity on this?? No such wishy washy language existed when they were using Biblical justifications to call for executing gays or railing against the evils of desegregation and miscegenation -- why not that same heat for abortion?? but wait, there's more....even Ronald Reagan, the second coming of Jesus himself, signed into law a big pro-abortion bill...was he not a conservative then?? Did he not love Jesus?

"When the issue surfaced in the first months of his governorship, Reagan was unsure how to react. Surprising as it may seem today, in 1967 abortion was not the great public issue that it is today. Reagan later admitted that abortion had been “a subject I’d never given much thought to.”

How could he have never given much thought to it, but then signed the most liberal pro-abortion bill in the country that year? Hell, even the great superhero Libertarian Conservative, Ayn Rand said this about abortion.....

View attachment 662093

I mean I know she is an Atheist and you right-wingers give her a pass because she hated black folks and other shit as much as you did -- but even for a Jesus-hating atheist, this is pretty twisted stuff from her.....how did these Conservatives get it all wrong -- and then all suddenly in the span of a few years -- suddenly launch a crusade against abortion and women's health rights??

"After several decades of research, I can state without fear of contradiction that evangelicals mobilized politically in the 1970s not, as commonly supposed, in opposition to the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling of 1973, but rather in defense of racial segregation at Bob Jones University and at all-white “segregation academies,” many of them church-sponsored. The durability of what I call the abortion myth, the fiction that opposition to legalized abortion was the catalyst of their movement, can be attributed to the founders of the Religious Right themselves."

Like how Ronald Reagan campaigned in 1980 to defend the right of universities like Bob Jones to racially segregate....I guess that is how Bob Jones was able to get away with banning interracial dating on their campus all the way up to the year 2000....Or how the founder of the Religious Right, Paul Weyrich was pissed that the IRS were planning to rescind the tax-exempt statuses of religious institutions that instituted segregation....in the papers he wrote; he essentially admitted:
"Now, Falwell and other leaders of the Religious Right had a “respectable” issue, opposition to abortion, one that would energize white evangelicals — and, not incidentally, divert attention from the real origins of "our movement."

So once abortion is banned at the federal level, because that is definitely next -- what more red meat can you offer to the rabid evangelical base?? Because the beast will have to be fed.....can't be abortion anymore....Contraceptives?? Yea, that may hold them off for a moment....but sooner or later, you are going to have to throw them a bone and do something about their first love....segregation....at least bring back the whole separate but equal doctrine and use that to get your segregation rocks off....it's definitely coming...people like me have been right about the religious right so far.....even when so-called "small government Conservatives" were assuring us "relax bro, you are just overreacting, no one is asking for that" -- when it came to banning abortion, same-sex marriages, epealing Lawrence v Texas; and ultimately attacking the very concept of the 14th amendment....oh, but when that pendulum swings back in the other direction....I doubt many of the reactionary right-wingers will be able to handle it...they are far too fragile to deal with an ounce of the oppression they love seeing inflicted on others...because for a right-winger, equality feels like oppression...always have been....
The RCC, aka the one true church had it right all along, and that's all that matters.

View attachment 662093

The great damage being done by back alley abortions was well known at the time. Nobody with even a small amount of compassion could deny the need for abortions in many cases. That horror has been forgotten over the last 50 years. I fear it will return after that partasan court ruling.

View attachment 662093

Simple, the apostate church has been thriving for quite awhile now. The apostate church has no problem with abortion.

View attachment 662093

Tl;dr. Besides, it’s from pointless blip, so it’s certain to be worthless.

View attachment 662093

I think the answer to your question is somewhere along the lines of "The early 1970s were a fucked up time in America's history". A lot of confusion going on in the country on all sides about a lot of things.

View attachment 662093

You’re asking why people were wrong? People are wrong all the time on just about everything. The fact that someone was wrong on a subject 50 years ago doesn’t change truth surround the subject

View attachment 662093

Well you just proved you wasn't born yet.
There were all manner of mobilizations against RvW... like every freaking day!!
You know how many abortion clinics were bombed and lives threatened and Doctors killed in those days???
Are you kidding?

You’re asking why people were wrong? People are wrong all the time on just about everything. The fact that someone was wrong on a subject 50 years ago doesn’t change truth surround the subject

Except that they weren't "wrong" 50 years ago. They were absolutely correct in saying that this is a private matter between a woman and her doctor.

What the radical court did yesterday, was to rule on their "personal, religious beliefs" which completely ignored history and the rights of women. In fact, the ruling said that women have no right to privacy under the Constitution. That's because women have NO RIGHTS under the Constitution because it was written when women were considered "chattel" to their husbands.

Except that they weren't "wrong" 50 years ago. They were absolutely correct in saying that this is a private matter between a woman and her doctor.

What the radical court did yesterday, was to rule on their "personal, religious beliefs" which completely ignored history and the rights of women. In fact, the ruling said that women have no right to privacy under the Constitution. That's because women have NO RIGHTS under the Constitution because it was written when women were considered "chattel" to their husbands.
You really are this uninformed and educated aren't you?
They overturned it because abortion has never been coded into law.
Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats had a CLEAR MAJORITY for 19 years straight to correct that problem.
THEY NEVER DID.
And you are blaming the SCOTUS for having the duty to correctly point out they do not have the authority to codify law.
That is the reason the legislative branch exist.

READ A BOOK

So, you are saying so-called BIBLICAL EXPERTS were wrong about the Bible for all of those years -- and then in the span of 3 or 4 years -- they realized they were wrong, never admitted they were wrong -- and all of this happened around the time they lost the segregation fight??

Sure bro..

Screenshot_20201119-200949_Twitter.jpg

Well you just proved you wasn't born yet.
There were all manner of mobilizations against RvW... like every freaking day!!
You know how many abortion clinics were bombed and lives threatened and Doctors killed in those days???
Are you kidding?

Radical deranged people. They claimed that murdering doctors prevented the murders of the unborn to justify their terrorism.

The anti-abortion fringe terrorism was the beginning of right wing terrorism against freedom in America.

You really are this uninformed and educated aren't you?
They overturned it because abortion has never been coded into law.
Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats had a CLEAR MAJORITY for 19 years straight to correct that problem.
THEY NEVER DID.
And you are blaming the SCOTUS for having the duty to correctly point out they do not have the authority to codify law.
That is the reason the legislative branch exist.

READ A BOOK

Pelosi has PASSED a law codifying Roe v. Wade and the Republicans in the Senate blocked it.

The SC did NOTHING of the kind. They basically stripped this right from women because they could, and then they said they were coming for birth control, gay marriage, and the right of consenting adults to have sex with one another.

Pierre Trudeau quite rightfully said that he wanted to get the government out of the bedrooms of the country, when he overturned such laws in Canada - and that was 50 years ago. The American Supreme Court is trying to inject the government into private family matters. The government is now forcing women into childbirth.

This is the very anti-thesis of the American Constitution. It is also a radical, out of control SC thinking that they can do what they want with their life-long appointments. Time to disabuse of them of this notion, starting with charges of lying to the Senate at their confirmation hearings.

1 in 4 American women has an abortion. She also has a sister, a mother, or a daughter who has had an abortion. You have just alienated ALL women but stripping them of their rights. Remember when you laughed at the pussy hat women protesting Donald Trump? They turned the House.

The women are PISSED, and they're not going to forget who did this to them. The party which opposed the Equal Rights Amendment and told women not to worry. They'd protect women's rights.

The world is also disgusted at the actions of this out of touch SC. The SC is now held in lower regard than the Republican Party, and that's not going to change any time soon.

Again...as I have accurately pointed out in the OP -- Conservatives HAVE TO LIE ABOUT their true positions because their true positions are unpopular with the majority of people.....that is a fact.....

Rightwingers continuously tried to play down overturning Roe -- it was always "relax bro, nobody really believes Roe will be overturned" - that was done to placate you....because they knew it wasn't popular.....

Now that Roe is overturned, the same old placate talk happens again..."don't worry bro, women can still get abortions like before"

Republicans are so full of shit that they are using states rights to strike down Roe and then will totally disavow that states right argument to push for a federal ban on abortions...like I said, they are full of shit...and have no shame about being full of shit...

"Roe v. Wade has been consigned to the ash heap of history, a new arena in the cause of life has emerged - Having been given this second chance for Life, we must not rest and must not relent until the sanctity of life is restored to the center of American law in every state in the land.”

Oh ffs. If you have to resort to Ayn Rand to support your position, maybe you should read the kama sutra and learn some new positions.

Pelosi has PASSED a law codifying Roe v. Wade and the Republicans in the Senate blocked it.

The SC did NOTHING of the kind. They basically stripped this right from women because they could, and then they said they were coming for birth control, gay marriage, and the right of consenting adults to have sex with one another.

Pierre Trudeau quite rightfully said that he wanted to get the government out of the bedrooms of the country, when he overturned such laws in Canada - and that was 50 years ago. The American Supreme Court is trying to inject the government into private family matters. The government is now forcing women into childbirth.

This is the very anti-thesis of the American Constitution. It is also a radical, out of control SC thinking that they can do what they want with their life-long appointments. Time to disabuse of them of this notion, starting with charges of lying to the Senate at their confirmation hearings.

1 in 4 American women has an abortion. She also has a sister, a mother, or a daughter who has had an abortion. You have just alienated ALL women but stripping them of their rights. Remember when you laughed at the pussy hat women protesting Donald Trump? They turned the House.

The women are PISSED, and they're not going to forget who did this to them. The party which opposed the Equal Rights Amendment and told women not to worry. They'd protect women's rights.

The world is also disgusted at the actions of this out of touch SC. The SC is now held in lower regard than the Republican Party, and that's not going to change any time soon.
Yeah not quite.
It was written not to pass. They knew that what they wrote - effectively - abortion is a right no matter what - is never going to pass federally. Never.
Republicans have not fought RvW specifically because states had the right to reserve and use restrictions.
The fake bill that Schumer and Pelosi wrote had one purpose - to once again enable them to pound sand about Republicans hate women. When all they have to do is pass a realistic bill that keeps the states the right to provide restrictions.

Forum List

Back