New Black Panther Party Leader - ... you want freedom ... kill some crackers

The man with the baton was already found guilty by the DOJ...then the charges were dropped before sentancing at the direction of Eric Holder. Then J Christian Adams, one of the attorneys involved in the case, testified under oath that he was told not to pursue cases where there are white plaintiffs and black defendants in any type of civil rights case.

I know I'm lumping it all together fast but I've been researching this thing so much my patience level is zero.

I've been researching it too....is there any evidence beyond hearsay? For example Adams made claims of things said when he wasn't even there. Adams own credabilty is itself strained since he was a part of the DoJ that was found by an independent commission to have been inappropriately politicized in it's hiring practices and it's decisions on what cases to pursue.

What actual evidence is there that is not hearsay - that Adams was told that?

Depends on what they were doing - just standing there, but not blocking people - I wouldn't care. If they were attempting to block me, get information from me, or interact with me - then yes, I would have a problem. But would that meet the requirements of the law?

KKK has a history - a well documented history of racial intimidation, murder, and violence - so yes, I would have a problem but I'm not sure "my problem" would meet the requirements of the law which should be strict because it's a fine line between "free speech" and "intimidation".

If your answer in not Yes to both then you and I will not see eye to eye in this discussion.

See my answer....

Yes it is his word, under oath, as the only evidence. YOu are right.

As far as the history of the KKK, which we all know, here is some video of NBPP leaders that you may not have seen.

Khallid Muhammad's Speech - Kill The White Man - Video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MbqupVxMY]YouTube - Black Panthers Say That Blacks Have To "Kill Some Crackers And Their Babies!"[/ame] (this is the same guy with that baton beating it off his hand at the polling place...here is that video too )
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU]YouTube - "Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly[/ame]

SOunds pretty violent to me.

I have to say the camera boy is kind of a pussy. He should have walked straight through, since he had a "Poll watcher cert." and force dude to hit him if he was going to. Then we wouldn't be left with this, "Is he or isn't he," we'd know.

immie, did you think all the guns and rifles at the different Obama rallies and speeches were as intimidating as a billy-club?

I don't liker either, but the loaded guns, scares me much more...

Thank you for bringing that incident up.

Yes, I did think they were intimidating and that they were there to intimidate. And yes, the loaded guns were more intimidating. I also felt that the people who brought weapons to those rallies were absolutely stupid and I was surprised that the Secret Service allowed them to be there.

Immie

immie, did you think all the guns and rifles at the different Obama rallies and speaches were as intimidating as a billy-club?

Loaded guns were at 2nd amendment rallies not Obama rallies.

I get the feeling some folks on the left have tried to blur this distinction. I don't think having guns were any president is, is a good idea.

I think guns at a 2nd amendment rally is perfectly appropriate.
Guns at Obama Rallies: Where's the Outrage? - Newsweek

Protester defends bringing guns to Obama rally | StarTribune.com

Cenk Uygur: Man with a Gun Near Obama Rally -- Hell No!

azcentral.com blogs - PHXBeat - Man with AR-15 rifle at Obama rally sparks concerns

guns at obama rally - Google Search

immie, did you think all the guns and rifles at the different Obama rallies and speaches were as intimidating as a billy-club?

Loaded guns were at 2nd amendment rallies not Obama rallies.

I get the feeling some folks on the left have tried to blur this distinction. I don't think having guns were any president is, is a good idea.

I think guns at a 2nd amendment rally is perfectly appropriate.
Guns at Obama Rallies: Where's the Outrage? - Newsweek

Protester defends bringing guns to Obama rally | StarTribune.com

Cenk Uygur: Man with a Gun Near Obama Rally -- Hell No!

azcentral.com blogs - PHXBeat - Man with AR-15 rifle at Obama rally sparks concerns

guns at obama rally - Google Search

Yes care there were guns at rallies and guns are more intimidating, in my opinion, than billyclubs in the hands of uniformed individuals.

However, it is apples/oranges comparing intimidation at a rally to intimidation at a polling station. We have specific civil rights laws protecting ALL americans from polling place intimidation.

True. I'd rather they find me at home, but that's me. I'd have a better shot there. :lol:

Do you have kids?

How about kids that go to school in the neighborhood?

As for the argument that they were there to prevent McCain supporters from intimidating voters. That is bullshit. No one showed up and if they were coming in groups, these two thugs would not have been a problem and don't even try to tell me that one or two McCain supporters are going to go into a neighborhood like that to scare people off. That would have been a suicide mission.

Immie

Unless there was a Charles Bronson movie that followed, the issue would end at my doorstep.

What if they didn't come to your doorstep but rather had high school kids beat the hell out of your third grader? Assuming of course, there was any hell in your third grader :D If he/she is anything like my kids there was.

Immie

However, analysis of the court did not need to proceed to whether stare decisis applied because default judgment was entered as you note further on in your comments. So, I don't think attempting to impune the facts and assuming what the court would or would not have done is appropriate. The facts were sufficient for the court to find that the government made a prima facie case of voter intimidation, you can't get a default judgment with less.

Again, a prima facie case was made by the government. (The facts, in the light most favorable to the government, showed the accused were guilty of voter intimidation).

The judgment was obtained, but the prosecution was dropped in the sentencing phase. An even more difficult to understand decision by the justice department. I could more easily see just not prosecuting.

That's my understanding. I would say, since the government had to make out a prima facie case, then they must have had to show actual intimidation if that is an element of the crime.

I am not a lawyer, I can't argue with legal terminology. If the defendent doesn't show, and you get a default judgement as a result - that does not necessarily mean that there is enough evidence to win the case.

I think it's significant that in 45 years, only 3 cases of voter intimidation have been won. I can't imagine that the NBT case, occuring in a predominately black Democratic precinct - where "intimidation" seems limited to appearance - not blocking the polls etc etc could possibly be a strong enough case and conservative lawyers have even concurred.

In addition, I think it's important to note that the case was downgraded to a civil case before any of the current players were in the DoJ or Obama was in office. I think all that indicates a weak case.

Do you really believe, "don't show up at another polling place armed for a couple of years" is enough to send any kind of a message except, "We don't really mind if you do this -- wink, wink, nod, nod" If so, you and Ravi are on an island with TM and I don't envy you that.

Actually, I do. When you considered that they did what they did in a black democratic precinct - who were they "intimidating"? Or were they being self-congratulatory assholes on a power trip?

Ah but we have sworn testimony from a long time civil rights man as to what types of behavior those 2 individuals exhibited.

Bartle Bull

But, as I noted and linked to earlier in response to Lonestar - Bartle is not exactly unbiased. He was campaigning for McCain, had strongly denounced Obama and was a McCain "poll watcher".

Ravi please stop with the lies....

MORE PROOF SHE IS LYING

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/04-23-2010_NBPPhearing.pdf
Bartle Bull
What are you trying to say...that the case wasn't dropped? It was.

The testimony that I just linked for you in the 2nd link..from April 2009 was from this very case. The civil case was not dropped by bush and you have blatantly swallowed and repeated a lie that it was.

@ coyote...read the testimony in the 2nd link, the entire testimony. YOu dont have all the information of the case and the behavior of the 2 individuals that you did not see in the video i just linked for you. (the last of the 3 videos.)

You are not talking about the Arizona case, I was...so your accusation of me being a liar is bullshit.

It is true though that the Bush administration dropped criminal charges in the NBP case.

In case anyone is interested, here is one article on the voter intimidation in Arizona. The case was dropped by the Bush administration.

Anti-immigrant activists accused of voter harassment

You have to scroll down to read the article.
Liar.
Nowhere is that said in the article.

From your link
Wyn Hornbuckle, spokesman with the Arizona U.S. Attorney's Office, said the office has received some isolated reports of voter intimidation and other issues, such as voter fraud. However, he said, it would be premature to talk about those reports.
"The U.S. Attorney continues to monitor the situation and will prosecute any violation of criminal law if such violation exists," he said.
Did ya think no one would read your link, and just take your word?
:cuckoo:
:lol: I didn't say it was in that link...that is just one article discussing the case right after it happened. Subsequently the charges were dropped.

Maybe you should get more creative with your insults, they've become boring.

I've been researching it too....is there any evidence beyond hearsay? For example Adams made claims of things said when he wasn't even there. Adams own credabilty is itself strained since he was a part of the DoJ that was found by an independent commission to have been inappropriately politicized in it's hiring practices and it's decisions on what cases to pursue.

What actual evidence is there that is not hearsay - that Adams was told that?

Depends on what they were doing - just standing there, but not blocking people - I wouldn't care. If they were attempting to block me, get information from me, or interact with me - then yes, I would have a problem. But would that meet the requirements of the law?

KKK has a history - a well documented history of racial intimidation, murder, and violence - so yes, I would have a problem but I'm not sure "my problem" would meet the requirements of the law which should be strict because it's a fine line between "free speech" and "intimidation".

See my answer....

As far as the history of the KKK, which we all know, here is some video of NBPP leaders that you may not have seen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MbqupVxMY]YouTube - Black Panthers Say That Blacks Have To "Kill Some Crackers And Their Babies!"[/ame] (this is the same guy with that baton beating it off his hand at the polling place...here is that video too )
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU]YouTube - "Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly[/ame]

I have to say the camera boy is kind of a pussy. He should have walked straight through, since he had a "Poll watcher cert." and force dude to hit him if he was going to. Then we wouldn't be left with this, "Is he or isn't he," we'd know.

I highly doubt the coward would have hit him at least not with other witnesses around.

But, would you want to take that chance if you were alone?

Immie

Hopefully this shows up right. I think this is a fairly huge statement, the affidavit of the "poll observer" this guy is a lawyer that worked for Robert F. Kennedy, he did civil rights voting law in the 1960s in Mississippi trying to ensure blacks had the right to vote without impediment there and here is what he swore to under oath:

4. I watched the two uniformed men confront voters, and attempt to intimidate voters. They were positioned in a location that forced every voter to pass in close proximity to them. The wapon was openly displayed and brandished in plain sight of voters.
5. I watched two uniformed men attempt to intimidate, and interfere with the work of other poll observers whom the uniformed men apparently believed did not share their preferences politically.
6. In my opinion, the men created an intimidating presence at the entrance to a poll. In all of my experience in politics, in civil rights litigation, and in my efforts in the 1960’s to secure the right to vote in Mississippi through participation with civil rights leaders and the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, I have never encountered or heard of another instance in the United States where armed and uniformed men blocked the entrance to a polling location. Their clear purpose and intent was to intimidate voters with whom they did not agree.

Bull's Affidavit

However, analysis of the court did not need to proceed to whether stare decisis applied because default judgment was entered as you note further on in your comments. So, I don't think attempting to impune the facts and assuming what the court would or would not have done is appropriate. The facts were sufficient for the court to find that the government made a prima facie case of voter intimidation, you can't get a default judgment with less.

Again, a prima facie case was made by the government. (The facts, in the light most favorable to the government, showed the accused were guilty of voter intimidation).

The judgment was obtained, but the prosecution was dropped in the sentencing phase. An even more difficult to understand decision by the justice department. I could more easily see just not prosecuting.

That's my understanding. I would say, since the government had to make out a prima facie case, then they must have had to show actual intimidation if that is an element of the crime.

I am not a lawyer, I can't argue with legal terminology. If the defendent doesn't show, and you get a default judgement as a result - that does not necessarily mean that there is enough evidence to win the case.

I think it's significant that in 45 years, only 3 cases of voter intimidation have been won. I can't imagine that the NBT case, occuring in a predominately black Democratic precinct - where "intimidation" seems limited to appearance - not blocking the polls etc etc could possibly be a strong enough case and conservative lawyers have even concurred.

In addition, I think it's important to note that the case was downgraded to a civil case before any of the current players were in the DoJ or Obama was in office. I think all that indicates a weak case.

Do you really believe, "don't show up at another polling place armed for a couple of years" is enough to send any kind of a message except, "We don't really mind if you do this -- wink, wink, nod, nod" If so, you and Ravi are on an island with TM and I don't envy you that.

Actually, I do. When you considered that they did what they did in a black democratic precinct - who were they "intimidating"? Or were they being self-congratulatory assholes on a power trip?

There is a reason for that and that is that a Civil Case is much easier to prosecute. There is an article that was presented earlier in reference to this. I can go back and find it if need be, but if you do an Advanced Search using me as the poster and "simpson" as a keyword, I suspect you will find that link relatively easily as I commented on it.

Immie

Hopefully this shows up right. I think this is a fairly huge statement, the affidavit of the "poll observer" this guy is a lawyer that worked for Robert F. Kennedy, he did civil rights voting law in the 1960s in Mississippi trying to ensure blacks had the right to vote without impediment there and here is what he swore to under oath:

4. I watched the two uniformed men confront voters, and attempt to intimidate voters. They were positioned in a location that forced every voter to pass in close proximity to them. The wapon was openly displayed and brandished in plain sight of voters.
5. I watched two uniformed men attempt to intimidate, and interfere with the work of other poll observers whom the uniformed men apparently believed did not share their preferences politically.
6. In my opinion, the men created an intimidating presence at the entrance to a poll. In all of my experience in politics, in civil rights litigation, and in my efforts in the 1960’s to secure the right to vote in Mississippi through participation with civil rights leaders and the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, I have never encountered or heard of another instance in the United States where armed and uniformed men blocked the entrance to a polling location. Their clear purpose and intent was to intimidate voters with whom they did not agree.
Bull's Affidavit
Again, a McCain poll watcher suffering from confirmation bias.

This evidence is way too flimsy to convict on, especially when the actual video of events shows no intimidation.

Ms. Thernstrom is perfectly welcomed to her opinion and I respect that she (allegedly (since I do not know anything about her) a conservative expresses a difference of opinion from other conservatives. I have been known to do so as well.

That does not change the fact that despite the rarity "3 cases in 45 years" or the difficulty of successful prosecution "legal standards that must be met to prove voter intimidation" that these two should have been prosecuted. If you let them get away with it in one precinct in 2008, then in 2010, they will be in five.

Neither does the fact that the NBPP is a small insignificant organization matter. To Ms. Thernstrom they may be small and insignificant, but not to the people living around them.

Edit:
Something to the effect that a Black Man would rule "you" tomorrow. is this fact or opinion or hearsay?

Coming from me it is hearsay. I heard it on one of the videos I have seen. I think, but cannot swear, that it was the Fox Interview with Dr. Malik Zulu Shabazz. The one where I earlier said that he seemed like a likable man and stand by that.

Immie

Think about the case Immie:
3 men, dressed in paramilitary gear - but, apparently not the "jack boots" claimed by some, and one carried a nightstick.
walking around in an overwelmingly black and Democratic precinct.
no voters complained of being intimidated
the case was downgraded to civil before it even got to the Obama DoJ

Is it really so clear and obvious a case or, does it seem so in response to:
  • a partisan reaction to the politicization of the Bush DoJ now being brought to bear on the Obama DoJ;
  • the fact that black on white racism is frequently ignored in media and in prosecution;
  • the possibility that a black man in the highest office might seem threatening to a white majority uncomfortable with the unfairness (percieved or real) with such programs as Affirmative Action or Hate Crime legislation?

I'm not saying this is so, but I'm asking - would you entertain the possibility it could be?

I think the bar for prosecuting these cases must be set high and it's not a matter of "letting them get away" with something - it's because "intimidation" could be claimed over something as subtle as how one looks or moves or stares....(JMO)

Last edited:

YouTube - Black Panthers Say That Blacks Have To "Kill Some Crackers And Their Babies!" (this is the same guy with that baton beating it off his hand at the polling place...here is that video too )
YouTube - "Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly

I highly doubt the coward would have hit him at least not with other witnesses around.

But, would you want to take that chance if you were alone?

Immie

I think you have to, don't you?

Sometimes you have to do physically unpleasant things to prove your point. Remember Ghandi's action of walking men one by one up to the police line to be beaten down by police while offering now resistance. For hours the police beat the men down, one by one. Similar circumstance here. If the camera guy was beaten down by the NBP guy, the violence and lack of moral standing would be made crystal clear.

[/B]
You made a good point a couple of days back about the fact that this was a majority black precinct and there was no need for them to be there to intimidate voters. You are, of course, right in that respect, but need is not a factor either. They were there and they made a very clear statement of intimidation. Something to the effect that a Black Man would rule "you" tomorrow. is this fact or opinion or hearsay?

They might not have been intimidating to you, but if I were a white man living in their neighborhood and voting at that precinct, I would have been intimidated. I don't know whether or not I would have decided not to vote, but I would have been extremely uncomfortable having a man who probably did not agree with my position, standing outside with a nightstick in his hand while I voted.

Immie

Have the facts been presented or, opinions? I agree with intent when it comes to accusations like "racism" - intent matters. But laws can't be decided on intent alone.

Was any voter intimidated or claim to have been intimidated?

I think this National Review article says it best:

Forget about the New Black Panther Party case; it is very small potatoes. Perhaps the Panthers should have been prosecuted under section 11 (b) of the Voting Rights Act for their actions of November 2008, but the legal standards that must be met to prove voter intimidation -- the charge -- are very high.

In the 45 years since the act was passed, there have been a total of three successful prosecutions. The incident involved only three Panthers at a single majority-black precinct in Philadelphia. So far -- after months of hearings, testimony and investigation -- no one has produced actual evidence that any voters were too scared to cast their ballots. Too much overheated rhetoric filled with insinuations and unsubstantiated charges has been devoted to this case.

A number of conservatives have charged that the Philadelphia Black Panther decision demonstrates that attorneys in the Civil Rights Division have racial double standards. How many attorneys in what positions? A pervasive culture that affected the handling of this case? No direct quotations or other evidence substantiate the charge.

Thomas Perez, the assistant attorney general for civil rights, makes a perfectly plausible argument: Different lawyers read this barely litigated statutory provision differently. It happens all the time, especially when administrations change in the middle of litigation. Democrats and Republicans seldom agree on how best to enforce civil-rights statutes; this is not the first instance of a war between Left and Right within the Civil Rights Division.

The two Panthers have been described as “armed” — which suggests guns. One of them was carrying a billy club, and it is alleged that his repeated slapping of the club against his palm constituted brandishing it in a menacing way. They have also been described as wearing “jackboots,” but the boots were no different from a pair my husband owns.

A disaffected former Justice Department attorney has written: “We had indications that polling-place thugs were deployed elsewhere.” “Indications”? Again, evidence has yet to be offered.

(entire article in link​

Only 3 cases in 45 years! That is a hell of a high bar.

Ms. Thernstrom is perfectly welcomed to her opinion and I respect that she (allegedly (since I do not know anything about her) a conservative expresses a difference of opinion from other conservatives. I have been known to do so as well.

That does not change the fact that despite the rarity "3 cases in 45 years" or the difficulty of successful prosecution "legal standards that must be met to prove voter intimidation" that these two should have been prosecuted. If you let them get away with it in one precinct in 2008, then in 2010, they will be in five.

Neither does the fact that the NBPP is a small insignificant organization matter. To Ms. Thernstrom they may be small and insignificant, but not to the people living around them.

Edit:
Something to the effect that a Black Man would rule "you" tomorrow. is this fact or opinion or hearsay?

Coming from me it is hearsay. I heard it on one of the videos I have seen. I think, but cannot swear, that it was the Fox Interview with Dr. Malik Zulu Shabazz. The one where I earlier said that he seemed like a likable man and stand by that.

Immie
[/quote]

Think about the case Immie:
3 men, dressed in paramilitary gear - but, apparently not the "jack boots" claimed by some, and one carried a nightstick.
walking around in an overwelmingly black and Democratic precinct.
no voters complained of being intimidated
the case was downgraded to civil before it even got to the Obama DoJ

Is it really so clear and obvious a case or, does it seem so in response to:
  • a partisan reaction to the politicization of the Bush DoJ now being brought to bear on the Obama DoJ;
  • the fact that black on white racism is frequently ignored in media and in prosecution;
  • the possibility that a black man in the highest office might seem threatening to a white majority uncomfortable with the unfairness (percieved or real) with such programs as Affirmative Action or Hate Crime legislation?

I'm not saying this is so, but I'm asking - would you entertain the possibility it could be?

I think the bar for prosecuting these cases must be set high and it's not a matter of "letting them get away" with something - it's because "intimidation" could be claimed over something as subtle as how one looks or moves or stares....(JMO)(/QUOTE]
(Quote function not working right now for some reason)

The issue as I see it is not whether the case was prosecuted. The issue is that IF DOJ personnel determined there was justification to prosecute it and . . .

IF it was dropped, as one of their own has testified, for political reasons unrelated to any issues of justice and. . .

IF, as it has been said, the DOJ is now under orders not to investigate or prosecute the New Black Panthers. . . .

THAT should be seen as a problem by all of us no matter how much we do or do not worship our fearless leaders or what our personal ideologies might be.

Last edited:

Bull's Affidavit
Again, a McCain poll watcher suffering from confirmation bias.

This evidence is way too flimsy to convict on, especially when the actual video of events shows no intimidation.

There is no leftie on this board who has credentials that can begin to stand up to his. Were you in Mississippi engaged in getting the blacks civil rights in the 1960s when people died (not just a few) for doing such things? Then STFU.

Seriously. You can make the second statement if you want to, but I'm not going to sit back and let you denigrate someone was there, who fought the fights in very tough and dangerous circumstances. It's a shame you feel that you can do that.

Bull's Affidavit

But, more recently - he was also a McCain supporter actively working for McCain's campaign, had strongly denounced Obama and was a McCain pollwatcher. All of that kind of nulls his "civil rights" credentials in terms of weighting his opinion which is what he is giving us.

Forum List

Back