New Atheism believes religion should be countered, criticized and exposed

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013

New Atheism is the name given to the ideas promoted by a collection of modern atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."
The term is commonly associated with individuals such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens (together called "the Four Horsemen of New Atheism" in a 2007 debate they held on their criticisms of religion, a name that has stuck), along with Victor J. Stenger, A.C. Grayling, and P.Z. Myers.Several best-selling books by these authors, published between 2004 and 2007, form the basis for much of the discussion of New Atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism

Very curious that you would omit the words, "by rational argument".

"..."religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."

It would make for a very good debate.

"..."religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."

I provided the link that provides the whole article and didn't quote the whole article in the topic but it exists under the article quotation that I did include.

I'm talking about the article and not starting the old debate.

I heard the writing teacher in the university say that you can't write "it is common sense" because what is common sense to you might not be common sense to someone else. Arguing for a cause is not rational unless you can prove a negative.

Last edited:

New Atheism is the name given to the ideas promoted by a collection of modern atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises."
The term is commonly associated with individuals such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens (together called "the Four Horsemen of New Atheism" in a 2007 debate they held on their criticisms of religion, a name that has stuck), along with Victor J. Stenger, A.C. Grayling, and P.Z. Myers.Several best-selling books by these authors, published between 2004 and 2007, form the basis for much of the discussion of New Atheism.

So this is the "clean" term for what has been around for decades, i.e. "asshole atheism".

I don't see why anybody would have a problem with this sentiment.

Not an atheist, but I agree that if you can find logical fault with any culturally accepted "truth" or norm, you should absolutely counter it -WITH RATIONAL ARGUMENT-

I don't care if that norm is based in religion or not. Anything that can be proven as incorrect should be disregarded. However, if people continue to practice a religious norm that is easily pointed out as false, I don't believe that it follows that they should be in any way persecuted: to each his own. Personally, I like to drink and smoke cigarettes and these activities, by all logic, are detrimental to me. Long as I don't harm anyone else with them, though, I still believe I should be allowed to practice my habits. Habits involving faith should be treated no differently. Live and let live, you dicks.

I provided the link that provides the whole article and didn't quote the whole article in the topic but it exists under the article quotation that I did include.

I'm talking about the article and not starting the old debate.

I heard the writing teacher in the university say that you can't write "it is common sense" because what is common sense to you might not be common sense to someone else. Arguing for a cause is not rational unless you can prove a negative.

Your third paragraph regarding common sense is, I'm sorry to say, silly at best. Your teacher's statement was absolutely valid because the point he was getting at was that common sense means something different to everyone. Rational argument is not nearly as objective a value. An argument is either rational or it is not.

Simply because some people drop retard arguments doesn't mean that it's pointless to clarify that the article said, ". . . by rational argument." Sorry, but this distinction is huge. It's most of the difference between the new atheism saying, "we should argue our point rather than simply tolerate religion" and the new atheism simply saying "religion should not be tolerated." If you can't see the difference, especially in how today's overly-sensitive culture would interpret these two statements, then what you view as common sense must not be very rational. ZING @ MY WORDPLAY!

atheism is not a religion it just the opposite of religion.
atheism is based on analytical thinking and empirical quantifiable evidence.
religion is based on faith :
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
you ass hats would be much better off not wasting your time attempting to equate the two
bill maher said it best:[ame=http://youtu.be/B5R5BiT0JAg]Bill Maher, the greatest: about religion - YouTube[/ame]

you ass hats would be much better off not wasting your time attempting to equate the two
bill maher said it best:Bill Maher, the greatest: about religion - YouTube

If by atheism you mean asserting that there is no God, then no, that is not based on quantifiable evidence. It requires as much faith to believe that no god exists as it does to believe that any god exists. Sorry, but until the assertion that you believe can be proven, you too are a man of faith.

OK, whatever does float the ignorant atheist boat.

If by atheism you mean asserting that there is no God, then no, that is not based on quantifiable evidence. It requires as much faith to believe that no god exists as it does to believe that any god exists. Sorry, but until the assertion that you believe can be proven, you too are a man of faith.
you keep believing that, if it makes you feel better but it's based on a false premise.
I'll make simple as the concept of no faith is passed your understanding .
atheism is just the opposite of theism.
atheism is everything theism is not and theism is everything that atheism is not, the only commonality they share is they have nothing in common.

you keep believing that, if it makes you feel better but it's based on a false premise.
atheism is everything theism is not and theism is everything that atheism is not, the only commonality they share is they have nothing in common.

Except your premise presupposes that one or both are assumptions and you're coming from a viewpoint which doesn't know if one is real or not. If one is real then they are not opposites or equal in being opposites.

OK, whatever does float the ignorant atheist boat.
what does float an ignorant atheist boat?
since I've never met an atheist who was ignorant about god, on the other hand,
how to make hospital corners when making your bed, yes

Last edited:

Atheism is still a belief structure, like zero is still a number.

It has no traditions, no rituals, no gatherings of congregants, no holy days, etc. etc. It is not a system of beliefs. It is simply one belief that there is no god.

Except your premise presupposes that one or both are assumptions and you're coming from a viewpoint which doesn't know if one is real or not. If one is real then they are not opposites or equal in being opposites.
still wrong, both are suppositions and both are real in the sense that they are imprecise descriptions...
the sort of reality you seem to be wishing for could only be proven by the appearance of god or the non appearance of said god..

lol! zero is a placeholder not a number....
atheism is not a belief structure in the way you wish it was...as i SAID BEFORE the systems are not parts of the same whole.

Forum List

Back