NCAA Playoff Picture

BTW, by way of comparison, Blake Sims was 23/27 passing, with 262 yards and 2 TDs. Cardale Jones was 12/17 passing, with 257 yards and 3 TDs. Sims ran 9 times for 19 yards. Jones ran 8 times for 9 yards.

Was that Blake Sims' first start ever in a conference Championship game against an opponent that was second in the nation on defense? Did Sims not know a week before that huge game that he would be the starter?

The committee apparently looks at more than just raw stats.

Oh, it was the QB's first start in a conference Championship? Well that makes all the difference in the world!! Oh wait, yes it WAS Blake Sims first start in a conference championship. Wisconsin has the second best defense in the nation? According to who?

But yes, Blake Sims did know he was going to start in the conference championship. But so did the sophomore Cardell Jones. Since he started the week before, after having had the previous starter break his ankle in the Michigan game, Jones came in to finish the 4th quarter and knew he would be the starter for the conference championship.

BTW, LSU used a sophomore QB (only 1 start prior to the game) to beat Wisconsin.

BTW, by way of comparison, Blake Sims was 23/27 passing, with 262 yards and 2 TDs. Cardale Jones was 12/17 passing, with 257 yards and 3 TDs. Sims ran 9 times for 19 yards. Jones ran 8 times for 9 yards.

Was that Blake Sims' first start ever in a conference Championship game against an opponent that was second in the nation on defense? Did Sims not know a week before that huge game that he would be the starter?

As for Wisconsin being the second best defense in the nation.....

This site shows it a bit differently: 2014 FBS I-A College Football Team Statistics Leaders for Defense - ESPN

For sacks, Missouri is ranked #6 and Wisconsin is ranked # 17.

On this site, they rank overall defenses: NCAAF Football - Defensive Rankings Statistics - December 2014 Odds Shark

The #1 position goes to the only team to beat Alabama this year, Ole Miss. #3 is LSU, who was beaten by Alabama. #10 is MS State, who was also beaten by Alabama.

#13 is Wisconsin, who was beaten by LSU and Ohio State. Good defense, but hardly #2 in the nation.

I guess the best comparison would be the team both Alabama and Wisconsin played. On a neutral site, Wisconsin allowed LSU to score 28 points. In Baton Rouge, Alabama held them to just 13 points.

Oh yeah, on the site that ranked Wisconsin #13 in overall defense? Alabama is ranked #4.

I'm good with the Ohio St. pick, the rest of the OSU team showed up motivated, the QB was adequate. I am more impressed with the team than the QB.

The Buckeyes should beat Alabama. Ohio State earned that #4 seed the hard way............with two inexperienced quarterbacks, an inexperienced offensive line, and a lot of new skill players. Urban Meyer is the best college football coach in the country, period.
I wouldn't count Florida State out, either. All season long, they have found a way to win. They seem to play hard when they NEED to.
OHIO STATE WILL BE THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

LMAO!!

Yeah, we did much the same. We have a new starting QB, new OC, new players on the offensive line, and half the starting defense from last year gone. If OSU is such a great powerhouse, why did they lose to VaTech? And struggle in some games against minor league kinda teams?

Oh, and your "best college football coach in the country,period" has played a Saban coached Alabama team 3 times. He only won once. In fact, when OSU loses, you might watch to see if Meyer develops chest pains again.

LMAO!!!

Stay in your own lane. The Va Tech loss was J.T. Barrett's first game against good competition.
They had trouble with an average Auburn team.

An average auburn team? Hmmm.....

This site has auburn picked to beat Wisconsin in the outback bowl, and lists it as "Never in Doubt".
Predictions for Every Bowl Game Bleacher Report

This site predicts auburn will beat Wisconsin 45-31
Outback Bowl 2015 Preview Predictions for Wisconsin vs. Auburn Bleacher Report

I guess the "average auburn team" might be better than the team Ohio State beat in their signature win?

I'm good with the Ohio St. pick, the rest of the OSU team showed up motivated, the QB was adequate. I am more impressed with the team than the QB.

I agree with the pick. I think the Ohio State team looks like a top contender.

I think (not even including SEC West teams) at least four worthy teams got left out in a playoff system as bad as the last one.

It is time to cut the regular season to ten games, and let the top ten play it off.

I predict revenue would INCREASE, but, there would also be more UAB's dropping football.

It would be a tradeoff, excellence would drive out mediocrity.

Are we going to have a pointless pissfest for a month before this is decided on the field?

After this all shakes out, I will predict one thing.

Mississippi State, Mississippi, Auburn, LSU, Baylor and TCU will prove the four team playoff system sucks just as badly as the two game one.

Are we going to have a pointless pissfest for a month before this is decided on the field?

After this all shakes out, I will predict one thing.

Mississippi State, Mississippi, Auburn, LSU, Baylor and TCU will prove the four team playoff system sucks just as badly as the two game one.

Of course we are going to have a pissfest!!! That is what a sports forum is all about.

But yes, Blake Sims did know he was going to start in the conference championship. But so did the sophomore Cardell Jones. Since he started the week before, after having had the previous starter break his ankle in the Michigan game, Jones came in to finish the 4th quarter and knew he would be the starter for the conference championship.

Cardell came off the bench the week before starting against WISC but he did not know he would be the starter prior to JT's injury. Cardell had only one week to practice with the first stringers. Sims was the starting QB the entire season was he not?

Cardell came off the bench the week before starting against WISC but he did not know he would be the starter prior to JT's injury. Cardell had only one week to practice with the first stringers. Sims was the starting QB the entire season was he not?

You honestly think the QB was the reason for the rout? Didn't the defense hold them to ZERO? Did not the defense make huge plays? Give it a rest.

How did TCU go from 3rd, win by 52 and then drop to 6th?

Not the TCU fan but they got hosed by "The Commitee".

Indeed he was. It was not set in stone for the first few weeks, but yeah, he was the starter all year.

Should we let Ohio State start from the 50 yard line in the Sugar Bowl? Or have Bama's defense only use 10 players? Since you have a new QB and all?

The point is, whathisface started posting all this nonsense about OSU is gonna do this and that, and that Bama is overrated and only played overrated teams ect ect ect. I responded. Yes, it is awesome that the sophomore made a great start against Wisconsin. Not sure where the "2nd best defense in the nation" came from, but they are a solid team. But OSU won that game because the TEAM came out and played great.

Since you have a new QB and all

Buckeyes are not representing the Big Ten in the Sugar Bowl because they have a new quarterback. They will have an experienced, proven QB starting in New Orleans on New Years Day. From last Saturday's games, if you were to count them as the entire season on one day, the Buckeye's quarterback had a better day than TCU's quarterback, so no special rules need apply. Buckeyes are fine.

Explain how you win by 52 points and slide down three spots in a poll. I really would like that explained

How does the fifth place team win the Big Ten trophy by a 59 point margin with a first time starter QB and not move into spot number four.

And the Buckeye defense laid a big fat goose-egg on their highly talented opponent on a day going into that game when no one knew how Cardale Jones was was going to handle the pressure.

"Buckeyes are not representing the Big Ten in the Sugar Bowl because they have a new quarterback."
"How does the fifth place team win the Big Ten trophy by a 59 point margin with a first time starter QB and not move into spot number four."

Please pick one. You can not go with both.

And lets be real, whether he is a 5th year senior or a true freshman should NOT matter to the selection committee. The team is the issue. TCU was ranked #4 and won their last game by a huge margin. Why were they worthy of 4th place last week, win big and are not worthy this week?

Not sure where the "2nd best defense in the nation" came from, but they are a solid team

Yards Allowed.

The Badgers defense, No. 2 in the nation in yards allowed per game, runs a rare 3-4 front, meaning three defensive linemen and four linebackers. They will sometimes mix it up with four down linemen.

Gophers football Badgers challenging on offense and defense - TwinCities.com

Even after the 59 point shellacking Wisconsin is still ranked 4th in total defense:

Total Defense FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Penn State is ranked 2nd.

Mich State and U of M are ranked 7 and 10th.

Buckeyes beat all four.

How did TCU go from 3rd, win by 52 and then drop to 6th?

Not the TCU fan but they got hosed by "The Commitee".

Yeah, TCU got punished for..... what was it again?

Explain how you win by 52 points and slide down three spots in a poll. I really would like that explained.

Explain how you are ahead of another 1 loss team and that team beat you in the regular season?

If any team got screwed it was Baylor.

In both cases the non conference schedules killed them as did the lack of a conference championship

In non con , I think one was rate in the 90's strength of schedule, and the other was dead last

Forum List

Back