National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?

So rent control really doesn't matter, because people will get fucked over a different barrell.

I'm curious as to how a rental agreement constitutes an f'ing.

Both parties enter the agreement voluntarily, at prices set by market rates. The renter gets a decent place to live with guarantees of working utilities.

The landlord gets, with few exceptions not addressable by law, a guarantee or steady income in return for his investment in property.

Very few things in this life are more fair than that.

I'm curious as to how a rental agreement constitutes an f'ing.

Both parties enter the agreement voluntarily, at prices set by market rates. The renter gets a decent place to live with guarantees of working utilities.

The landlord gets, with few exceptions not addressable by law, a guarantee or steady income in return for his investment in property.

Very few things in this life are more fair than that.
Unless you get free kippers.

"Rent Control" binds tenants to their properties, because if they leave, they subject themselves to huge increases in costs. Its basically a form of neo-serfdom.

Helps the state control the population a lot more.
Also creates middlemen who share no risk when the renter sublets the property. NYC renters have been doing it for decades.

Oh sure, let's make hundreds of thousands of senior citizens poorer.....You know, the ones that worked and bought a few modest properties, renovated, and now rent them out for their retirement income.

Most rentals are owned by individuals, not corporations though they might set themselves up as a LLC for tax/liability reasons.

So yeah when the market bears a rent increase don't tell me how much I can charge, let the local rental market decide that.
It’s for your own emotional good to take less money
Lib 101

Landlords shoulder the risk. Deadbeats, property damage, etc. etc. It is their right to charge what the market will bear. I don't see Joe doing anything to lower the cost of fuel.
You misunderstand. Democrat governance is Not to provide but rather to be punitive
Persons who did the right things all their life should be mandated to compensate those who did not-Lib 101

Great formula if you want a lot more homelessness, and a lot higher rents. New York City has had rent control for decades, and you can see what happened there.

I guess if you are seeking a job in a government office, legions will be needed to negotiate and police this system.

President doesnt have the power.

But Mussolini did!!

National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?~! Qaxedz>

Biden rolls out 'Renters Bill of Rights' as lawmakers push for federal rent control laws

JENNIFER SCHONBERGER
January 25, 2023, 8:38 AM

[...]

Nearly 50 progressive lawmakers, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), sent a letter to Biden earlier this month urging the president to take executive action to protect tenants from rising rents.

Would it help or exacerbate the problem?
Based upon the experience of localities that have rent control it will do nothing but reduce the supply of rental units. Why would someone buy rental properties and have to rent them out at a loss? More rental units will be taken off the market and converted to half-ass condos.

A federal government run rent control system would also necessitate a federal landlord/tenant grievance system. Landlords would have a financial advantage in getting rid of long time low-paying tenants and tenants would have a financial advantage in staying. What an "evictable offense" is will have to be adjudicated with a permanent entrenched bureaucracy.

Since 80% of housing is rented by private rentee's, let's really dry up housing availability and infitesimally increase homelessness!!

I'm down, ain't you??

A small one bedroom in Atlanta is $1400 plus utilities. Wages and salaries will increase or we'll have lots of homeless people.

House purchase prices down -- already topped. Accelerated decline should interest rates rise further .

More people might be forced to rent but this market might still be forced into a downward spiral simply because the recession this year will mean millions of people with not enough money to eat, pay energy bills and current rents .

Therefore the need to introduce rent controls might be overtaken by events, all of which could see a drop in purchase prices and rents . But imho .

Forum List

Back