National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?

Markle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2016
Tallahassee, FL

National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?

Biden rolls out 'Renters Bill of Rights' as lawmakers push for federal rent control laws

JENNIFER SCHONBERGER
January 25, 2023, 8:38 AM

[...]

Nearly 50 progressive lawmakers, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), sent a letter to Biden earlier this month urging the president to take executive action to protect tenants from rising rents.

Would it help or exacerbate the problem?

Last edited:
Landlords/banks/owners would just find other ways to charge renters for more shit.

They'd be coming out with all these "fees" and "administrative costs", and other bullshit to charge people for.

So rent control really doesn't matter, because people will get fucked over a different barrell.

The airlines did this, automakers did this, and other such companies have done this.

In the long run, you will just end up paying double.

National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?~! Qaxedz>

Biden rolls out 'Renters Bill of Rights' as lawmakers push for federal rent control laws

JENNIFER SCHONBERGER

[...]

Nearly 50 progressive lawmakers, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), sent a letter to Biden earlier this month urging the president to take executive action to protect tenants from rising rents.

It's an awesome idea..........

If you want to destroy existing housing and disincentivize future construction.

In my pueblo you can only raise 9% max per year unless you have the house re-evaluated after a remodel OR change of owner. I bought a joint for 110K in Nov that was renting for $350 a month. Painted it up, did some landscraping and getting $700 us pesos a couple months later.
If things keep the way they are it'll go in a S.A. name and get bumped to 1200 or so in 2025. If Pooterz button works It'll be 4 grand. It's 1700 SF on 1/2 acre. Volcano view.

Anything that can foster the myth that Dems need either more free things or reduced cost things.

Anybody think about the landlords that qualify as a small business? They work hard to buy a piece of property and maintain it and barely make a profit. Along come elitist politicians and their investment is gone. What happens when the landlords go broke and bankrupt and are no longer responsible to maintain the property? Another abandoned junkie infested wreck that taxpayers have to clean up.

Anybody think about the landlords that qualify as a small business? They work hard to buy a piece of property and maintain it and barely make a profit. Along come elitist politicians and their investment is gone. What happens when the landlords go broke and bankrupt and are no longer responsible to maintain the property? Another abandoned junkie infested wreck that taxpayers have to clean up.
Fundamental problem is that landlords make money and liberals feel that is unfair

In my pueblo you can only raise 9% max per year unless you have the house re-evaluated after a remodel OR change of owner. I bought a joint for 110K in Nov that was renting for $350 a month. Painted it up, did some landscraping and getting $700 us pesos a couple months later.
If things keep the way they are it'll go in a S.A. name and get bumped to 1200 or so in 2025. If Pooterz button works It'll be 4 grand. It's 1700 SF on 1/2 acre. Volcano view.

It's called letting the market decide, numbnutz.

Great formula if you want a lot more homelessness, and a lot higher rents. New York City has had rent control for decades, and you can see what happened there.

I guess if you are seeking a job in a government office, legions will be needed to negotiate and police this system.

Oh sure, let's make hundreds of thousands of senior citizens poorer.....You know, the ones that worked and bought a few modest properties, renovated, and now rent them out for their retirement income.

Most rentals are owned by individuals, not corporations though they might set themselves up as a LLC for tax/liability reasons.

So yeah when the market bears a rent increase don't tell me how much I can charge, let the local rental market decide that.

National rent control? The usual suspects think it is a great idea. What say you?~! Qaxedz>

JENNIFER SCHONBERGER

[...]

How about protecting everyone from rising prices in every category. Fuel, Food, etc., etc. Those same people calling for rent control are the ones that are responsible for the rising costs that created the higher rents. I wonder if anyone here remembers the lessons learned in the French Revolution. Biden, Harris, AOC and Warren are collectively saying, "Let them eat cake"

How about protecting everyone from rising prices in every category. Fuel, Food, etc., etc. Those same people calling for rent control are the ones that are responsible for the rising costs that created the higher rents. I wonder if anyone here remembers the lessons learned in the French Revolution. Biden, Harris, AOC and Warren are collectively saying, "Let them eat cake"
What kind of cake do you eat, I prefer cheesecake.

Forum List

Back