National Abortion Ban Possible if Roe v. Wade Overturned: Mitch McConnell

While I doubt they will see it as such this should be a wake up call to extremists of all parties. In this case, the liberal extremists couldn't be content with the fact that Roe made abortion legal. I think that the majority of people were like me in that they felt abortion should be legal but also recognized that it wasn't simply the culling of clumps of cells. Abortion was and is causing the deaths of those who would be unique individuals. While a woman may get pregnant again, it will be with a different child. That first individual is gone forever. Liberals weren't happy with the idea that abortion was considered necessary but distasteful by the majority in society. They also weren't happy that the majority said that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for their abortions. They were only going to be happy when society celebrated and paid for their abortions and validated their choice to destroy their child so instead of accepting that abortion was legal, they just kept pushing until people started pushing back. Now, here we are.

I thought that the argument has been that the right thing to do was return it to the states?
Clearly not.

‘Abortion’ has nothing to do with “states’ rights”; overturning Roe has nothing to do with “states’ rights.”

That Republicans would seek to ‘ban’ abortion via Federal law is further proof that for the authoritarian right it’s about increasing the size and power of government at the expense of individual liberty.

I can't imagine a situation in which the most fervent branches of the pro-life right see the overturn of Roe, dust off their hands, think "Well, I guess we're done!" and walk away. It's a foregone conclusion that there will be a push to criminalize abortion nationwide. Why would there not be? Someone is probably drafting a brief as we type.

I can't imagine a situation in which the most fervent branches of the pro-life right see the overturn of Roe, dust off their hands, think "Well, I guess we're done!" and walk away. It's a foregone conclusion that there will be a push to criminalize abortion nationwide. Why would there not be? Someone is probably drafting a brief as we type.
Correct.

Free states are already passing laws and measures to accommodate women from authoritarian red states to protect their right to privacy.

Private non-profit organizations will provide funding and assistance to allow women to travel to free states to practice their right to privacy.

No matter the threats and posturing by authoritarian red states, there’s little to nothing they can do to prevent women traveling to free states.

Angered and frustrated that women are continuing to practice their privacy rights, the authoritarian right will seek Federal legislation ‘banning’ abortion.

‘Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said a national abortion ban could be "possible" if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.
[…]
In an interview with USA Today published on Saturday…McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said Thursday that a national ban on the procedure would be "possible" if the court overturns the case.’

Again, Republicans aren’t going to stop with just overturning Roe.

Nope.

It goes to the states if it's over turned. Republicans don't run every state and they never will run all 50 states at once.

Besides, youre actually arguing that murdering babies is fine and telling people they can abort a infant because they don't want to be responsible.

‘Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said a national abortion ban could be "possible" if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.
[…]
In an interview with USA Today published on Saturday…McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said Thursday that a national ban on the procedure would be "possible" if the court overturns the case.’

Mcconnell needs to remove his Republican shirt, and expose his Democrat shirt beneath it, because a traitor he is to the Republic.

Clearly not.

‘Abortion’ has nothing to do with “states’ rights”; overturning Roe has nothing to do with “states’ rights.”

That Republicans would seek to ‘ban’ abortion via Federal law is further proof that for the authoritarian right it’s about increasing the size and power of government at the expense of individual liberty.
It would only return the decisions to the states. You still have your infanticide in California and new york.

Nope.

It goes to the states if it's over turned. Republicans don't run every state and they never will run all 50 states at once.

Besides, youre actually arguing that murdering babies is fine and telling people they can abort a infant because they don't want to be responsible.

I hate to be the devils advocate here, but what's stopping it from being totally banned?

All the Supreme Court can do is rule if it's constitutionally protected or not which it isn't. They cannot say its exclusively a states right because nowhere in the Constitution is abortion mentioned. They may say it's for states to decide now, but if there is ever a super majority of Republicans in Congress with a Republican President, then what would be stopping them from making federal law against all abortions?

Correct.

Free states are already passing laws and measures to accommodate women from authoritarian red states to protect their right to privacy.

Private non-profit organizations will provide funding and assistance to allow women to travel to free states to practice their right to privacy.

No matter the threats and posturing by authoritarian red states, there’s little to nothing they can do to prevent women traveling to free states.

Angered and frustrated that women are continuing to practice their privacy rights, the authoritarian right will seek Federal legislation ‘banning’ abortion.

I don't think they will, but I agree it is possible. Given abortion is a 50/50 issue, it would be political suicide for the Republicans to ban all abortions on the federal level. It would cost them leadership in Congress for perhaps decades. The Democrats would be there to bring it up every election thereafter.

I am not aware of any enumerated powers of the Constitution that would authorize the feds to pass any laws on the matter.

Most likely he was just pandering to the base to agitate them to vote or something. I bet he is counting on the Democrats to filibuster and block it from passing.

If the Republicans did pass a federal ban against abortion, Justice Alito might write a majority opinion striking it down.

On what basis?

I hate to be the devils advocate here, but what's stopping it from being totally banned?
All the Supreme Court can do is rule if it's constitutionally protected or not which it isn't. They cannot say its exclusively a states right because nowhere in the Constitution is abortion mentioned. They may say it's for states to decide now, but if there is ever a super majority of Republicans in Congress with a Republican President, then what would be stopping them from making federal law against all abortions?
The Tenth Amendment says that if a power has not been expressly delegated to the feds by the Constitution, it belongs to the states.

On what basis?
The Tenth Amendment.

The Tenth Amendment says that if a power has not been expressly delegated to the feds by the Constitution, it belongs to the states.

Oh really? Then please explain the ruling of states banning gay marriage. Like abortion, marriage isn't even mentioned in the Constitution yet alone delegated to the feds.

[…]

Wow, democracy really scares you, doesn’t it?

See my signature.

The 14th Amendment says that all persons are entitled to the equal protections of our laws.

Can any of you abortion proponents show me where it says children can be excluded from those rights and protections based on their age or stages of development?

I'll wait.

See my signature.

The 14th Amendment says that all persons are entitled to the equal protections of our laws.

Can any of you abortion proponents show me where it says children can be excluded from those rights and protections based on their age or stages of development?

I'll wait.

Children are excluded from rights until they reach the age of 18 and become an adult. Children can't vote, have no constitutional right to carry a gun, just a host of things. But it goes back to the decades long debate whether a fetus us a human or not.

Oh really? Then please explain the ruling of states banning gay marriage. Like abortion, marriage isn't even mentioned in the Constitution yet alone delegated to the feds.
I am not familiar with that ruling. I didn't pay any attention to it when it happened. But it is possible that the ruling is contrary to the Tenth Amendment.

See my signature.

I'll wait.
Overturning Roe isn’t about ‘saving babies.’

Overturning Roe isn’t about “states’ rights.”

It’s about the authoritarian right’s desire to compel conformity and punish dissent.

It’s about more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty.

That Senate Republicans would seek to enact Federal legislation to ‘ban’ abortion is proof of that.

I am not familiar with that ruling. I didn't pay any attention to it when it happened. But it is possible that the ruling is contrary to the Tenth Amendment.

I'm just telling you how they ruled. This was after there was a vote in many states about allowing gay marriages. All but one voted against it.

Forum List

Back