National Abortion Ban Possible if Roe v. Wade Overturned: Mitch McConnell

It’s about the authoritarian right’s desire to compel conformity and punish dissent.

No, it's about the simple matter that abortion is not a constitutionally protected right. That's all it is. That is unless you can show me the founders or editors debate about abortions.

I hate to be the devils advocate here, but what's stopping it from being totally banned?

All the Supreme Court can do is rule if it's constitutionally protected or not which it isn't. They cannot say its exclusively a states right because nowhere in the Constitution is abortion mentioned. They may say it's for states to decide now, but if there is ever a super majority of Republicans in Congress with a Republican President, then what would be stopping them from making federal law against all abortions?
There isnt. But then the left may be forced to compromise to end late term in their states. To many of us aborting a baby at birth is Murder when the baby is healty.

The left never compromise. When they dont get their way they get violent. If a law is passed they dont like they ignore it.

Clear as a bell when they dont arrest protesters at Justices homes.

Overturning Roe isn’t about ‘saving babies.’

Overturning Roe isn’t about “states’ rights.”

It’s about the authoritarian right’s desire to compel conformity and punish dissent.

It’s about more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty.

That Senate Republicans would seek to enact Federal legislation to ‘ban’ abortion is proof of that.
Lies

Clearly not.

‘Abortion’ has nothing to do with “states’ rights”; overturning Roe has nothing to do with “states’ rights.”

That Republicans would seek to ‘ban’ abortion via Federal law is further proof that for the authoritarian right it’s about increasing the size and power of government at the expense of individual liberty.
Agreed it's not about "states rights" - through if it's overturned States can ban it, if the people there decide to....but so can the Feds. That's all Mitch was saying. The Feds can also make it completely legal at all stages if they decide to.

This is a nothing burger, but the demafascist need something to riot about and distract from the horrible job they have done since they've been in power

‘Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said a national abortion ban could be "possible" if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.
[…]
In an interview with USA Today published on Saturday…McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said Thursday that a national ban on the procedure would be "possible" if the court overturns the case.’

Again, Republicans aren’t going to stop with just overturning Roe.

A law banning abortion restrictions country wide is also "possible", but we saw that die a quick death just yesterday.

The anti-Roe side loses quite a few backers once it goes back to the States, and those people wouldn't vote for, or vote for people who would try to pass federal abortion restrictions.

Of course that is predicate on the democrats giving said fence sitters someone rational to vote for as an alternative, not a SJW freak.

For most of us, abortion is pretty far down on the list of things we worry about.

I want a return of power to the states. The Fed needs to lose most of its power. While I think late term abortion is Barbarism, I dont want to tell New York how to live.

However, they are going batshit crazy thinking they should tell us how to live.

Overturning Roe changes Nothing in their states.

In fact, it gives them more leverage to go batshit crazy on their abortion protections, as we have already seen.

I hate to be the devils advocate here, but what's stopping it from being totally banned?

All the Supreme Court can do is rule if it's constitutionally protected or not which it isn't. They cannot say its exclusively a states right because nowhere in the Constitution is abortion mentioned. They may say it's for states to decide now, but if there is ever a super majority of Republicans in Congress with a Republican President, then what would be stopping them from making federal law against all abortions?

Nothing wrong with the devil's advocate. It keeps brains working and brings out other opinions or potentials.

I mean it is possible, but I considered it so unlikely I didn't think it worth mentioning really. But yes it could potentially happen.

In fact, it gives them more leverage to go batshit crazy on their abortion protections, as we have already seen.
Shows what they are today. If they were worth a damn a compromise could be had. Say ok 15 weeks its legal after that only for the life of tje mother via doctor.

They dont want compromise. Its my way or highway. This is also of the side at conception.

I say overturn and let the chips fall where they may. Really changes nothing but maybe a drive for some to abort.

States over the Fed.

Shows what they are today. If they were worth a damn a compromise could be had. Say ok 15 weeks its legal after that only for the life of tje mother via doctor.

They dont want compromise. Its my way or highway. This is also of the side at conception.

I say overturn and let the chips fall where they may. Really changes nothing but maybe a drive for some to abort.

States over the Fed.

Agreed. To me 15 weeks for whatever reason is the compromise, with LIFE of mother after that, not just health. Also rape is covered by the 15 week thing, and I still don't get the addition of incest, considering if the incest was forced the rape thing covers it.

Also, parental notification is required for anyone under 18, or even permission, with rapid legal avenues available of course.

Yep next up gay marriage 🎯

Only to the point of not forcing States to issue SSM licenses. They should be forced to continue to recognize out of State licenses as they currently have to, even if the out of State license doesn't meet the in State requirements for issuance.

Agreed. To me 15 weeks for whatever reason is the compromise, with LIFE of mother after that, not just health. Also rape is covered by the 15 week thing, and I still don't get the addition of incest, considering if the incest was forced the rape thing covers it.

Also, parental notification is required for anyone under 18, or even permission, with rapid legal avenues available of course.

Well if they keep statistics, it might be interesting to know how rampant is incest. It always is described separately from rape.

Only to the point of not forcing States to issue SSM licenses. They should be forced to continue to recognize out of State licenses as they currently have to, even if the out of State license doesn't meet the in State requirements for issuance.
Maybe they should push for a constitutional amendment instead of depending on the government granting them a privilege license.

Well if they keep statistics, it might be interesting to know how rampant is incest. It always is described separately from rape.

And again, I never wonder why. If it's a rape, then it's covered by rape. If it's consensual are we talking about forcing the woman to have an abortion?

Maybe they should push for a constitutional amendment instead of depending on the government granting them a privilege license.

State Marriage licenses can be modified by legislative actions in the States. And we already make States take things like driver's and marriage licenses from other States via the whole full faith and credit thing.

State Marriage licenses can be modified by legislative actions in the States. And we already make States take things like driver's and marriage licenses from other States via the whole full faith and credit thing.
A license is still a privilege it is not a right

Forum List

Back