NASA admits they can't send a human to Mars

I really see a lack of imagination and a defeatist attitude running through this thread.
Humans will eventually spread throughout the solar system and beyond.
Exploration is part of our DNA and survival instincts. When we deny that need to explore and spread our reach we will falter as a species.
We are still exploring. As a matter of fact we have done more exploration now then we did during the heydays of the Mercury to Apollo days.

We are just doing it smarter now. The human factor has been removed until technology catches up.

We have found tons of planets around stars, photographed & done spectrographical analysis of our entire solar system. We have made lots of new cosmological discoveries and furthered fundamental physics.

Remember there was more computing power in an Atari game machine then there was in the lunar module.

I really see a lack of imagination and a defeatist attitude running through this thread.
Exploration is part of our DNA and survival instincts. When we deny that need to explore and spread our reach we will falter as a species.
europa.png
Lol. Was thinking about that movie when I posted.

You hit the nail on the head

Imagination

We are still exploring. As a matter of fact we have done more exploration now then we did during the heydays of the Mercury to Apollo days.

We are just doing it smarter now. The human factor has been removed until technology catches up.

We have found tons of planets around stars, photographed & done spectrographical analysis of our entire solar system. We have made lots of new cosmological discoveries and furthered fundamental physics.

Remember there was more computing power in an Atari game machine then there was in the lunar module.

Imagination
Imagination.
Without it we would not have the technological advances we take for granted.
Without it there would be no written word, no art, no concept of love or appreciation of life.
Sorry you lack it.

Sending surrogate sensory apparatus suffices. The expense and danger of including the physical human body lacks logic.

As far as I am concerned it is only the gaining of knowledge until that time we are ready to send humans out. I never expect to see it but will happen in a couple of centuries.

Smart people have the chance to leave the planet leaving all of the dumbasses behind.
Why not just set up a colony on the bottom of the ocean. It is just as desolate and we cannot leave the security of our shelters and go for a walk
Why not do both? Again, why do you insist what others choose to do? I can see why, as a taxpayer, you are against spending money on science, but why stop people like Musk or foreign governments from sending manned missions off-planet?

Stroll around on a planet devastated by an impact event or supervolcano? What's to see?

You just don't get it

Even in a nuclear holocaust......the surface of the earth will be more life sustaining than Mars
You don't get it, one big rock and we're done.
The surface of Mars is a hostile environment. One major storm or earthquake could wipe out our feeble colony
You still don't have to go. Why do you want to ban people from going?

Imagination
Imagination.
Without it there would be no written word, no art, no concept of love or appreciation of life.
Sorry you lack it.

Sorry you lack it

LOL

Do you believe as I do that the universe is teeming with life?

Just wait. If they find silver, tungsten, platinum or gold on the surface of Venus.....there will be an orbital mining colony in no time flat.
You've been watching too much tv.
Robot asteroid mining is more achievable. Returning the materials to space or lunar refineries and factories would reduce the costs since it would be easier to turn the mine ships around for a subsequent run.

Imagination
Imagination.
Sorry you lack it.

Sorry you lack it

LOL

What I believe is irrelevant. We will only find out if we get out there.

Sending surrogate sensory apparatus suffices. The expense and danger of including the physical human body lacks logic.
The same can be said for all exploration. We can just sit in our chairs like the humans in "Wall-E" and have the robots do it.

OTOH, like mountain climbing, some people want to go. We shouldn't stop them.

Imagination
Imagination.
Sorry you lack it.

Sorry you lack it

LOL

What I believe is irrelevant. We will only find out if we get out there.

You said I lack imagination, implying you had more. Prove it and answer my question.

My background is astrophysics and evolutionary biology

EDIT ~ Not true. We don't have to be personally there to discover and explore. We do chemistry but don't actually see individual atoms interacting.

Last edited:
Why not just set up a colony on the bottom of the ocean. It is just as desolate and we cannot leave the security of our shelters and go for a walk
Why not do both? Again, why do you insist what others choose to do? I can see why, as a taxpayer, you are against spending money on science, but why stop people like Musk or foreign governments from sending manned missions off-planet?

Stroll around on a planet devastated by an impact event or supervolcano? What's to see?

You just don't get it

Even in a nuclear holocaust......the surface of the earth will be more life sustaining than Mars
The surface of Mars is a hostile environment. One major storm or earthquake could wipe out our feeble colony
I get to comment on how my tax dollar is spent

The same can be said for all exploration. We can just sit in our chairs like the humans in "Wall-E" and have the robots do it.

OTOH, like mountain climbing, some people want to go. We shouldn't stop them.
Tell them to start flapping their wings

Just wait. If they find silver, tungsten, platinum or gold on the surface of Venus.....there will be an orbital mining colony in no time flat.
Robot asteroid mining is more achievable. Returning the materials to space or lunar refineries and factories would reduce the costs since it would be easier to turn the mine ships around for a subsequent run.
Sounds cost prohibitive.

You just don't get it

Agreed...again. Just as I did earlier. Now, explain to me why are you against Musk and other nations from going? You know, the question you dodged earlier with a "you don't get it"?
It's not as sexy.....but investment in energy, healthcare, communications, transportation pays more dividends than getting a photo-op on Mars
True, but the goal isn't "a photo-op on Mars".
Then what value do we get that can't be performed by a unmanned rovers?
Smart people have the chance to leave the planet leaving all of the dumbasses behind.

You just don't get it

Agreed...again. Just as I did earlier. Now, explain to me why are you against Musk and other nations from going? You know, the question you dodged earlier with a "you don't get it"?

I never had anything about private investment in space travel
I have no issues with exploring the universe
I just think that manned space travel is not warranted

You just don't get it

Private industry and foreign nations can do anything they want with their money & with my blessing & I am positive everyone else feels the same way.

Personally, I'm all for other nations getting out of the wagon and help pull & push.

Sounds cost prohibitive.
Awesome. So don't go. Are you against corporations from doing it?

Asteroid Mining | Deep Space Industries

Instead of a US flag on spacecraft and stations there will be company logos like Orbital Insight, Spire and SpaceX. Of course, the Chinese company will probably still fly the PRC flag.

The 10 Most Innovative Companies In Space 2017

Forum List

Back