My dog died. I am heartbroken

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
My Oliver who was only 8 years old had to be put to sleep because the emergency vet I took him to ,told me he was stable. I rushed him to my normal vet . He just was diagnosed with diabetes. In the emergency vet he was there for two days first day he did great. the second day he was still doing ok they told me I could go pick him up. When I got him he could not walk , he was drooling and foaming from the mouth. there was NO way I was taking him back to that emergency vet . when I got him to my regular vet his blood sugar was well over 600 . The emergency vet said it was 188. I am so mad and heartbroken. My reg vet said they could try giving him shots of insulin but she felt he had other issues his liver enzymes where in the thousands, something the emergency vet said nothing about . I looked my regular vet in the face if this was your dog what is his chances if we try the insulin. She said not very good . So we had to make the hard choice to put my best boy down. I brought his ashes home Friday which just made it so much harder. I have had many dogs in the past , but Oliver was special since day one . He was the one who got me through my brother's suicide . He was funny, smart beautiful and NOW GONE .... Thanks for letting me vent Oliver aka Ollie Bear April 6 2013 to Nov 1 2021

Attachments

• 168250157_10157935026287592_3593264099972857587_n.jpg
    168250157_10157935026287592_3593264099972857587_n.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 51
  • baby Oliver.jpg
    baby Oliver.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 43
My Oliver who was only 8 years old had to be put to sleep because the emergency vet I took him to ,told me he was stable. I rushed him to my normal vet . He just was diagnosed with diabetes. In the emergency vet he was there for two days first day he did great. the second day he was still doing ok they told me I could go pick him up. When I got him he could not walk , he was drooling and foaming from the mouth. there was NO way I was taking him back to that emergency vet . when I got him to my regular vet his blood sugar was well over 600 . The emergency vet said it was 188. I am so mad and heartbroken. My reg vet said they could try giving him shots of insulin but she felt he had other issues his liver enzymes where in the thousands, something the emergency vet said nothing about . I looked my regular vet in the face if this was your dog what is his chances if we try the insulin. She said not very good . So we had to make the hard choice to put my best boy down. I brought his ashes home Friday which just made it so much harder. I have had many dogs in the past , but Oliver was special since day one . He was the one who got me through my brother's suicide . He was funny, smart beautiful and NOW GONE .... Thanks for letting me vent Oliver aka Ollie Bear April 6 2013 to Nov 1 2021

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are special, I hope you take solace in knowing that you provided him a happy life full of memories.

Sorry to hear that

We went through that last year with a middle of the night trip to an emergency vet. We had no warning and it broke our heart.

People may think it is just an animal but it is a member of your family that loves you to death

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it.
They become a huge part of our lives and when they're taken so suddenly it tears you up inside.
The Wife and I's method of when it's time for a new pup?
When we can look up at the mantle and smile about the good memories rather than being sad.
We felt so guilty about wanting another dog, but the home felt so empty without one

Man, that is heartbreaking to anyone who has had a dog that they loved like a family member. My last dog (Yorkie) was 9 and suffered from very bad hip dysplasia. She had a failed surgery and I'd planned to put her on those wheels in back until I found out she had advanced melanoma.

Putting her down was the saddest day of my life and I cried off and on for three days. Right about then, my neighbor called to ask me if my pup was missing. Apparently a friend of his almost hit a Yorkie near my house and he wondered if it was mine. So I called them and went over to see this doggie who they were about to take to Humane Society.

No collar so took her to my vet to check for a chip. Nada. Put out notices around the neighborhood and nothing there either. Vet said that based on her teeth and a few other things, she was likely less than a year old and in excellent health. So I got her all her shots, had her groomed (was a mess) and she's been with me ever since (probably 7 years old now). Best pet I've ever had, and the timing was pretty miraculous.

So best to you. Maybe somehow a new pup will come your way soon.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it.
They become a huge part of our lives and when they're taken so suddenly it tears you up inside.
The Wife and I's method of when it's time for a new pup?
When we can look up at the mantle and smile about the good memories rather than being sad. We have two other pups. I am not ready for another one. I feel like I am replacing him.

NO other dog can replace Oliver he is was so special. My son who never cried about the other dogs we had passed away. This one he is uncontrollable crying. Maybe it was because he was there when we had to put him to sleep , the others he was not ... My poor other dog( the one as my avatar) was full brothers with Oliver. Bandit( our other boston) was one year older he has always been with Oliver since the day he was born. He hardly gets off the couch which is not like him at all. Now my Pug , Mia who had nothing to do with either of the two dogs ( she thinks she is the queen of the castle , and she is LOL) doesnt seem like it has affected her at all.

A little over two years ago, we lost our family's Border Collie. It was just her time as she was 14 years old. I was severely depressed for about a month when we took her cremains to my daughter who had raised her. On the way home, my daughter called me and had located a breeder with Border Collie puppies born the previous day. When I got home later that night, I contacted the breeder and put a deposit down on a male, as my daughter had done earlier with a female. A short 5 weeks later I was able to see him in person, and and a few more weeks later I brought him and his sister home. My heart was healed as he reminds me so much of my baby I lost.

My best advice is to get another fur baby. My best buddy is not quite 18 months old now, 64 pounds of pure mischief and I could not be happier. My world revolves around this dog, and I would not have it any other way.

Forum List

Back