The loss of America's Anchor Man

Typical El Rushbo propaganda. Cronkite never said the war is lost.
Typical BLINDboo response. Rush specifically stated that Cronkite was speaking of the Tet offensive, not the war.

Says it right in my post. Nice try to slip one by me, I am much smarter than you so just sit back and let me educate you.

Typical BLINDboo response. Rush specifically stated that Cronkite was speaking of the Tet offensive, not the war.

Says it right in my post. Nice try to slip one by me, I am much smarter than you so just sit back and let me educate you.
Rush claimed he said "this war is lost", not that the "Tet offensive was lost". Be that as it may smarty pants, below is his full commentary which includes what he said about the Tet offensive. El Rushbo was a great propagandist, he got even a "smart" person like you to fall for his lies didn't he?

"Tonight, back in more familiar surroundings in New York, we'd like to sum up our findings in Vietnam, an analysis that must be speculative, personal, subjective. Who won and who lost in the great Tet offensive against the cities? I'm not sure. The Vietcong did not win by a knockout, but neither did we. The referees of history may make it a draw"

WALTER CRONKITE'S “WE ARE MIRED IN STALEMATE” BROADCAST,FEBRUARY 27, 1968

Tonight, back in more familiar surroundings in New York, we'd like to sum up our findings in Vietnam, an analysis that must be speculative, personal, subjective. Who won and who lost in the great Tet offensive against the cities? I'm not sure. The Vietcong did not win by a knockout, but neither did we. The referees of history may make it a draw. Another standoff may be coming in the big battles expected south of the Demilitarized Zone. Khesanh could well fall, with a terrible loss in American lives, prestige and morale, and this is a tragedy of our stubbornness there; but the bastion no longer is a key to the rest of the northern regions, and it is doubtful that the American forces can be defeated across the breadth of the DMZ with any substantial loss of ground. Another standoff. On the political front, past performance gives no confidence that the Vietnamese government can cope with its problems, now compounded by the attack on the cities. It may not fall, it may hold on, but it probably won't show the dynamic qualities demanded of this young nation. Another standoff. We have been too often disappointed by the optimism of the American leaders, both in Vietnam and Washington, to have faith any longer in the silver linings they find in the darkest clouds. They may be right, that Hanoi's winter-spring offensive has been forced by the Communist realization that they could not win the longer war of attrition, and that the Communists hope that any success in the offensive will improve their position for eventual negotiations. It would improve their position, and it would also require our realization, that we should have had all along, that any negotiations must be that-- negotiations, not the dictation of peace terms. For it seems now more certain than ever that the bloody experience of Vietnam is to end in a stalemate. This summer's almost certain standoff will either end in real give-and-take negotiations or terrible escalation; and for every means we have to escalate, the enemy can match us, and that applies to invasion of the North, the use of nuclear weapons, or the mere commitment of one hundred, or two hundred, or three hundred thousand more American troops to the battle. And with each escalation, the world comes closer to the brink of cosmic disaster. To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion. On the off chance that military and political analysts are right, in the next few months we must test the enemy's intentions, in case this is indeed his last big gasp before negotiations. But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could.

This is Walter Cronkite. Good night

Last edited:
WALTER CRONKITE'S “WE ARE MIRED IN STALEMATE” BROADCAST,FEBRUARY 27, 1968

. Who won and who lost in the great Tet offensive against the cities? I'm not sure.

Khesanh could well fall, with a terrible loss in American lives, prestige and morale, and this is a tragedy of our stubbornness there;

We have been too often disappointed by the optimism of the American leaders, both in Vietnam and Washington, to have faith any longer in the silver linings they find in the darkest clouds.

It would improve their position, and it would also require our realization, that we should have had all along, that any negotiations must be that-- negotiations, not the dictation of peace terms.

For it seems now more certain than ever that the bloody experience of Vietnam is to end in a stalemate. ;

and for every means we have to escalate, the enemy can match us, and that applies to invasion of the North, the use of nuclear weapons, or the mere commitment of one hundred, or two hundred, or three hundred thousand more American troops to the battle. And with each escalation, the world comes closer to the brink of cosmic disaster. To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past... But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors...

This is Walter Cronkite. Good night
Just as the great Rush Limbaugh stated, Cronkite stated we could not win the Tet offensive, while we were fighting the Tet offensive.

BLINDboo, Rush reported the truth, correcting the caller who said war, Cronkite was speaking of the Tet offensive as Rush stated. As I quoted, as blindpoo confirms.

Notice Rush Limbaugh qualifies his paraphrase of Cronkite, with, "I think". Limbaugh did not state anything but what he thought and he told us so.
RUSH: Yeah, that was about the Tet offensive. The Tet offensive was a surprise invasion of the south by the North Vietnamese, and we repelled it, and they took significant casualties, the north did. The Tet offensive was actually very successful, but that’s, I think, when Cronkite said, (impersonating Cronkite) ‘To this reporter, it’s clear that this war is lost.’ (muttering.)

Just as the great Rush Limbaugh stated, Cronkite stated we could not win the Tet offensive, while we were fighting the Tet offensive.

BLINDboo, Rush reported the truth, correcting the caller who said war, Cronkite was speaking of the Tet offensive as Rush stated. As I quoted, as blindpoo confirms.

Notice Rush Limbaugh qualifies his paraphrase of Cronkite, with, "I think". Limbaugh did not state anything but what he thought and he told us so.
You posted El Rushbos lie, not me. Cronkite never said the war was lost. No matter how smart you claim to be you were still a Mark that fell for Rl Rushbo's propaganda. He was not a newsman or a news anchor. He was a con artist who fooled a lot of self proclaimed smart people.

You posted El Rushbos lie, not me. Cronkite never said the war was lost. No matter how smart you claim to be you were still a Mark that fell for Rl Rushbo's propaganda. He was not a newsman or a news anchor. He was a con artist who fooled a lot of self proclaimed smart people.

... But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors...
You posted it blindpoo, right here it is, what exactly does, "not as victors" mean?

and I do thank you, for showing us that cronkite was a terrible person for stating we were losing while our men were fighting the Tet offensive

You posted it blindpoo, right here it is, what exactly does, "not as victors" mean?

and I do thank you, for showing us that cronkite was a terrible person for stating we were losing while our men were fighting the Tet offensive
Did he say "the war was lost" like the lying Limbaugh claimed? Didn't you believe this obvious lie? Do you think we were victors? You must realize the war continued for several more years, with tens of thousands soldiers KIA, after Cronkite said it can only end in a stalemate.

Last edited:
Did he say "the war was lost" like the lying Limbaugh claimed? Didn't you believe this obvious lie? Do you think we were victors? You must realize the war continued for several more years, with tens of thousands soldiers KIA, after Cronkite said it can only end in a stalemate.
Limbaugh said, I pointed it out to you, Limbaugh said, "I think".

BLINDboo, Limbaugh did not make the claim that Cronkite used those exact words. Yet, when we look at the comments Cronkite made, it is clear that Limbaugh was right, in stating the Cronkite said the war was lost.

BLINDboo, When Cronkite said we can not win, that gave the Communists the realization that they could win, and the Communists did win. The communists continued to fight after they lost the Tet offensive. The communists heard what Cronkite said, which was a huge psychological and political win. There was no statemate as Cronkite said, we lost.

Cronkite, I never thought much about him and Viet-Nam, but that lousy filthy democrat, helped the communists win the war in Viet-Nam.

Rush stated, I think. Not what you claim, Poo

Limbaugh said, I pointed it out to you, Limbaugh said, "I think".

BLINDboo, Limbaugh did not make the claim that Cronkite used those exact words. Yet, when we look at the comments Cronkite made, it is clear that Limbaugh was right, in stating the Cronkite said the war was lost.

BLINDboo, When Cronkite said we can not win, that gave the Communists the realization that they could win, and the Communists did win. The communists continued to fight after they lost the Tet offensive. The communists heard what Cronkite said, which was a huge psychological and political win. There was no statemate as Cronkite said, we lost.

Cronkite, I never thought much about him and Viet-Nam, but that lousy filthy democrat, helped the communists win the war in Viet-Nam.

Rush stated, I think. Not what you claim, Poo
That's how his propaganda worked. Lies about what was said, like substituting lost for stalemate and then extrapolates on the lie so dittoheads like you get a warped since of history, like Cronkite was a liberal-commie-pinko-fag because he lost the war for us, even thought the war continued for years. El Rushbo did that shit every day for years and years to ya'll, and it shows.

That's how his propaganda worked. Lies about what was said, like substituting lost for stalemate and then extrapolates on the lie so dittoheads like you get a warped since of history, like Cronkite was a liberal-commie-pinko-fag because he lost the war for us, even thought the war continued for years. El Rushbo did that shit every day for years and years to ya'll, and it shows.
except, you proved yourself wrong by posting the transcript of Cronkite broadcasting to the communists that the USA can not win the war, just like Rush Limbaugh stated.

except, you proved yourself wrong by posting the transcript of Cronkite broadcasting to the communists that the USA can not win the war, just like Rush Limbaugh stated.
It proved El Rushbo was a first class liar whom all the rubes believed. Not an anchor man, a con man with an agenda.

It proved El Rushbo was a first class liar whom all the rubes believed. Not an anchor man, a con man with an agenda.
No, it paraphrased, accurately, that Cronkite said during a very important turning point during the Viet-Nam war, the Tet offensive, that the USA could not win, that we lost. Cronkite gave the communists a huge political victory which they used to go on and win the war.
But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors,
BLINDpoo, if you wish to move on and try again, pick anything, and I will gladly show that you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground, again.

Now you're just lying about El Rushbo's propaganda lie. As Cronkite clarified.

"To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism."

Let me quote cronkite from blindpoo's link showing that cronkite stated we lost the war years beford the end. This gave the communists the political victory that was the turning point allowing the communists to win the war.

But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors,

Let me quote cronkite from blindpoo's link showing that cronkite stated we lost the war years beford the end. This gave the communists the political victory that was the turning point allowing the communists to win the war.

Another propaganda technique he used. Use incomplete sentences and create a false narrative about the author's meaning as expressed in the entire sentence.

"But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, "but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could".

Another propaganda technique he used. Use incomplete sentences and create a false narrative about the author's meaning as expressed in the entire sentence.

"But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, "but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could".
Even in your quote, it is clear that Cronkite announced to the communist we are not victors. It is clear, Cronkite declared during the Tet offensive, that we would not win the war. This gave the communists a political victory, which ultimately won the war for the communists.

Even in your quote, it is clear that Cronkite announced to the communist we are not victors. It is clear, Cronkite declared during the Tet offensive, that we would not win the war. This gave the communists a political victory, which ultimately won the war for the communists.
Thank you for once again confirming that Limbaugh lied when when he claimed Cronkite said 'the war is lost'.

Rush used to have a segment where he'd read the names of gay men who died of AIDS, and play celebratory music.

Thus, Rush is one dead guy that it's totally okay to speak badly of.

Forum List

Back