Mrs. Claus' Kitchen

I would often make it, sans the compote, as that would take a lot of work and time, and my G.ma, just used that powdered sugar and topped it with lemon juice. After a while, I tended to prefer it that way.
I would enjoy it with a peach/pear compote, but the simpler lemon juice/powdered sugar version sounds great too! How about with lemon curd?

Although I never had it homemade, I'm the oddball who LOVES fruitcake. No accounting for taste, huh?

View attachment 568761

I have a flourless fruitcake recipe somewhere I swear every year I am going to find and make. The woman who used to give me one every year finally ponied up the recipe a few years before she died. It basically uses shredded coconuts in place of the flour.

Everybody in my family liked a different kind of pie, so my granny made TONS of pies.
Coconut Cream for one Uncle, Cherry for another Uncle, Pumpkin for my momma, Chocolate pie for my cousins, Pecan pie for my sister.................

And MY favorite....................

Cream Cheese Pie.jpg

Although I never had it homemade, I'm the oddball who LOVES fruitcake. No accounting for taste, huh?

View attachment 568761

I like fruitcake done RIGHT.

I came up with something several years ago, I call "Frooted Cake". LOL

1 box - French Vanilla cake mix
1 can - your favorite canned fruit mix (with juice)
1 small jar - drained and sliced maraschino cherries
1 small tub sour cream

Mix it all together, dump into a buttered cake pan or bundt pan.
Bake at 350 degrees until done.

I grew up poor. One year, my mom worked at a KFC and scored a free Christmas dinner at closing time, of stuff that they couldn't store and reuse after the holiday. We just had to heat it up on Christmas. KFC Christmas. I thought it was cool. At a young age, I understoof poverty and gratitude for what you had, because there was always someone who had less. It was a grateful Christmas.

I like fruitcake done RIGHT.

I came up with something several years ago, I call "Frooted Cake". LOL

1 box - French Vanilla cake mix
1 can - your favorite canned fruit mix (with juice)
1 small jar - drained and sliced maraschino cherries
1 small tub sour cream

Mix it all together, dump into a buttered cake pan or bundt pan.
Bake at 350 degrees until done.
Sounds delicious! Love me some fruitcake. This sounds similar to a fruit cocktail cake my mom used to make.

Alas, it's history. Way too many food sensitivities.

I grew up poor. One year, my mom worked at a KFC and scored a free Christmas dinner at closing time, of stuff that they couldn't store and reuse after the holiday. We just had to heat it up on Christmas. KFC Christmas. I thought it was cool. At a young age, I understoof poverty and gratitude for what you had, because there was always someone who had less. It was a grateful Christmas.

Oh yeah........a KFC C'mas!!! Yum!!!

I worked at a KFC for a while, back when. The manager was a super nice guy, he let us take the leftovers home after the end of the day. He would even give some food to homeless if they came by before we cleaned up at the end of the day.

Oh yeah........a KFC C'mas!!! Yum!!!

I worked at a KFC for a while, back when. The manager was a super nice guy, he let us take the leftovers home after the end of the day. He would even give some food to homeless if they came by before we cleaned up at the end of the day.
That sounds so cool! Great guy!

Everybody in my family liked a different kind of pie, so my granny made TONS of pies.
Coconut Cream for one Uncle, Cherry for another Uncle, Pumpkin for my momma, Chocolate pie for my cousins, Pecan pie for my sister.................

And MY favorite....................

View attachment 568977

Mmm!!! That looks delicious!!😍

Looks really yummy!

Yeah and not that hard to do either. That's why I decided to open this kitchen, I'm always looking for new and interesting ideas and I think it'll become a new Christmas tradition on here. :) (The topic name came from a Christmas book of mine I've had since I was a baby btw. Fun trivia fact. ;) )

Yeah and not that hard to do either. That's why I decided to open this kitchen, I'm always looking for new and interesting ideas and I think it'll become a new Christmas tradition on here. :) (The topic name came from a Christmas book of mine I've had since I was a baby btw. Fun trivia fact. ;) )
Thanks for doing this! Lovely change from the usual fare on this board!

Forum List

Back