Mrs. Claus' Kitchen

Another person who would really like this thread is JohnDB. He's a part time Christmas elf. Lol of course I guess I will be now too with baking cookies, pies, and now butterbeer fudge. XD

I made butterscotchies today...also rolled out and baked off a bunch of shortbread cookies for sandwich cookies...

Then I made polar bear claws and some turtles... well just the insides. I'll temper some chocolate tomorrow and dip them.

I don't think or remember a time when I decided that I was going to cook and bake so much for Christmas lol but I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be fun,.. and yummy. :)

mudwhistle, I couldn't find your exact recipe and the directions of how to make it, so I figured this looked pretty close. :)

mudwhistle, have you made the butterbeer fudge before, because it doesn't say how much of everything that I'll need. :confused-84:

I never made it, yet.
I was going to make Butterbeer....but then I found some already made.

I guess that I will just have to estimate then. I'm going grocery shopping next week for all of my ingredients for the fudge and Toffeenut Baconsmuggler's pie. Then as soon as I'll make them I'll go ahead and let you know how it turned out and all of the details on what I did. I have some relatives coming after Christmas so I think I'll have the fudge for them then. :)

I made one of my mothers favorites today....I took pumpkin pie filling spread it onto (10x 15) rolled out pie dough and sprinkled it with salted pecan brittle chips and maple syrup....rolled up the pie dough and bake until done.....slice into one inch slices and top with home made whip cream.....

Never mind, I found out from somebody else that you could use chocolate pudding for it, so that's what I'm going to do instead. :)

Yeah, strawberries are out of season in some areas.
You can use any glazed fruit or fruit pie filling. I prefer cherry, but I like strawberry, blueberry, peach, and apricot.

Now if you are going to do chocolate, and want to be extravagant.............you might go Rocky Road.....
Add some chopped up candied pecans.......about 1/4 cup or less, depending on if you like them or not.
Mini marshmallows, about 1/2 cup.
And about a handful of salted, roasted peanuts, chopped a bit.

Last edited:
Something kids usually like...........

Stained Glass Cookies

Super simple and easy.

stained-glass-cookies-22.jpg

Ingredients​

• Unsalted butter
  • Granulated sugar
  • Salt
  • Eggs
  • Vanilla extract
  • All-purpose flour
  • Jolly Ranchers

How to Make Stained Glass Cookies​

• Unwrap and separate Jolly Ranchers into each color then place in separate small resealable bags. Crush into bits using a meat mallet, set aside.
  • In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together butter, sugar and salt until well combined.
  • Mix in eggs one at a time then blend in vanilla.
  • With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour and mix until well combined.
  • Scrape dough out and shape into a rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and and chill 1 hour.
  • Cut chilled dough into thirds. Leave one portion out to work with and chill remaining.
  • Roll dough out onto a floured surface (about 1/5-inch thick). Cut out as many large stars as possible using a star shape cookie cutter (approx. 3.5 – 4-inch stars).
  • Transfer cut stars to baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  • Cut a smaller star from the center of each and remove (using a 1.5-inch star cutter). Re-roll and cut scrap dough.
  • Fill cut out centers about 3/4 of the way with crushed jolly ranchers. Chill cookies in refrigerator 15 – 20 minutes Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Bake cookies until set and candy center has melted, about 12 – 14 minutes.
  • Let cool on baking sheet until jolly ranchers have hardened. Repeat process with remaining refrigerated dough. Store in an airtight container

You can make different shapes, different sizes, and use different hard candies.
Not all candies will bake "clear". Jolly Ranchers are the best for that.
You can use any hard candy........peppermints, butterscotch, Lifesavers, lemon drops, etc...

You can even color your cookie dough, or brush the cookie part with a Royal Icing after baking.

You can also use a straw to poke a hole in the cookie before it bakes, if you want to use them as edible hanging ornaments.

stained-glass-cookies-44.jpg

Yeah, strawberries are out of season in some areas.
You can use any glazed fruit or fruit pie filling. I prefer cherry, but I like strawberry, blueberry, peach, and apricot.

Now if you are going to do chocolate, and want to be extravagant.............you might go Rocky Road.....
Add some chopped up candied pecans.......about 1/4 cup or less, depending on if you like them or not.
Mini marshmallows, about 1/2 cup.
And about a handful of salted, roasted peanuts, chopped a bit.

Thanks for the ideas but I'm not a huge fan of nuts or Rocky Road.

Something kids usually like...........

Stained Glass Cookies

Super simple and easy.

stained-glass-cookies-22.jpg

Ingredients​

• Unsalted butter
  • Granulated sugar
  • Salt
  • Eggs
  • Vanilla extract
  • All-purpose flour
  • Jolly Ranchers

How to Make Stained Glass Cookies​

• Unwrap and separate Jolly Ranchers into each color then place in separate small resealable bags. Crush into bits using a meat mallet, set aside.
  • In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together butter, sugar and salt until well combined.
  • Mix in eggs one at a time then blend in vanilla.
  • With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour and mix until well combined.
  • Scrape dough out and shape into a rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and and chill 1 hour.
  • Cut chilled dough into thirds. Leave one portion out to work with and chill remaining.
  • Roll dough out onto a floured surface (about 1/5-inch thick). Cut out as many large stars as possible using a star shape cookie cutter (approx. 3.5 – 4-inch stars).
  • Transfer cut stars to baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
  • Cut a smaller star from the center of each and remove (using a 1.5-inch star cutter). Re-roll and cut scrap dough.
  • Fill cut out centers about 3/4 of the way with crushed jolly ranchers. Chill cookies in refrigerator 15 – 20 minutes Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Bake cookies until set and candy center has melted, about 12 – 14 minutes.
  • Let cool on baking sheet until jolly ranchers have hardened. Repeat process with remaining refrigerated dough. Store in an airtight container

You can make different shapes, different sizes, and use different hard candies.
Not all candies will bake "clear". Jolly Ranchers are the best for that.
You can use any hard candy........peppermints, butterscotch, Lifesavers, lemon drops, etc...

You can even color your cookie dough, or brush the cookie part with a Royal Icing after baking.

You can also use a straw to poke a hole in the cookie before it bakes, if you want to use them as edible hanging ornaments.

stained-glass-cookies-44.jpg

Looks really cute, but define easy lol as my idea of Christmas cookies is the premade dough ones. That way, less mess to clean up afterwards. ;)

Well tomorrow I'm baking the Christmas cookies and mudwhistle, I'm making your fudge in the beginning of next week for my relatives coming after Christmas. :)

mudwhistle, your fudge has been made and we're going to taste test it after our Christmas dinner!! :D (Since my family came after Christmas this year. :) )

Forum List

Back