Mitch McConnell Destroys Democrats' Hopes for a Senate Impeachment Trial

With less than two weeks left before Biden is prez, the only realistic reason they want Trump out now is they are terrified he will invoke the insurrection act. I wish he would.
It puts Trump on notice not to even attempt such things. Remember, the house is free to add additional articles of impeachment at any time.
Like you know jack.

An interesting question is if the house returns a series of articles of impeachment, does the senate have to hold a separate trial for each charge, or can they merge the trials? I guess it depends on timing.

The article is filled with speculating writing, not only that there was no identifiable misconduct activities in the phone conference or at the rally. Which are both highly politicized by the media and the democrats, ensuring he could never a get a fair trial anyway.
Is it coincidence that Trump asked the Georgia sec of state to find 11,780 votes for him, when he trailed Biden by 11,779 votes. As Trump even pointed out, one more than he needs.

Explain where Raffensperger was going to "find" votes? They already went though all the votes twice.

You didn't read the transcript that explains WHY he asked for that number, he had already several times stated he believed he won by over 200,000 votes, but instead of investigating all of those, investigate just the margin of votes he needed to win. He never asked for additional votes on top of the existing vote totals at any time.....

This is what Democrats never understand because they are so blind in their hate.

An Impeachment trial doesn't help any Republicans at all, so that's why it isn't going to be rushed to the top of the agenda.

But I would not be surprised to see President Trump resign on the 18th voluntarily. It would help out Vice President Pence by boosting his pension and perks, as well as give Pence a chance to work on a presidential library in his retirement. Further, it would give Mother Pence an opportunity to sleep with the President of the United States in the WH.

Is it coincidence that Trump asked the Georgia sec of state to find 11,780 votes for him, when he trailed Biden by 11,779 votes. As Trump even pointed out, one more than he needs.

Explain where Raffensperger was going to "find" votes? They already went though all the votes twice.
You didn't read the transcript that explains WHY he asked for that number, he had already several times stated he believed he won by over 200,000 votes, but instead of investigating all of those, investigate just the margin of votes he needed to win. He never asked for additional votes on top of the existing vote totals at any time.....
I Trump thought he won by 200,000 votes, he would have asked Raffensperger to find the 200,000 votes. Was Trump doing political "point shaving" by asking for just enough to win, but to limit his margin of victory?

The only logical answer is, that it's easier to "find" 11,780 votes, than to "find" 200,000 votes. And by "find" Trump clearly meant to pull them out of thin air.

But I would not be surprised to see President Trump resign on the 18th voluntarily. It would help out Vice President Pence by boosting his pension and perks, as well as give Pence a chance to work on a presidential library in his retirement. Further, it would give Mother Pence an opportunity to sleep with the President of the United States in the WH.
What will I do with all my Biden 46 T-shirts. I'll have to buy Biden 47's instead.
It would be better for Pence to enact the 25th amendment, and become acting president, so it doesn't mess up the numbers.

The ignorance of people never amaze me, here is what the CONSTITUTION say about the impeachment process:

From Cornell Law school

IMPEACHMENT
The impeachment provisions of the Constitution839 were derived from English practice, but there are important differences. In England, impeachment had a far broader scope. While impeachment was a device to remove from office one who abused his office or misbehaved but who was protected by the Crown, it could be used against anyone—office holder or not—and was penal in nature, with possible penalties of fines, imprisonment, or even death.840 By contrast, the American impeachment process is remedial, not penal: it is limited to office holders, and judgments are limited to no more than removal from office and disqualification to hold future office.

Impeachment was a device that figured from the first in the plans proposed to the Convention; discussion addressed such questions as what body was to try impeachments and what grounds were to be stated as warranting impeachment.841 The attention of the Framers was for the most part fixed on the President and his removal, and the results of this narrow frame of reference are reflected in the questions unresolved by the language of the Constitution.

bolding mine

LINK

=====

More HERE

That is what Impeach process is all about is to remove upon conviction a person from an elective office, and never run for the office again. Impeachment and conviction process only applies to those who are in office.

Richard Nixed resigned to avoid the developing Impeachment that was going to pass on him, it was then dropped, because he was no longer in office.

The Clinton impeachment process was all partisan politics since his dumb sexual dalliance was never "high crimes and misdemeanors, bribery or treason" level offence.

Last edited:

I Trump thought he won by 200,000 votes, he would have asked Raffensperger to find the 200,000 votes. Was Trump doing political "point shaving" by asking for just enough to win, but to limit his margin of victory?

The only logical answer is, that it's easier to "find" 11,780 votes, than to "find" 200,000 votes. And by "find" Trump clearly meant to pull them out of thin air.

Gawad you can't think rational here, he was doing the SOS a favor by asking for the minimum effort to overturn the minimum number of existing votes into his favor (saves a lot of time), votes he several times claims are not valid as they are.

Last edited:
What will I do with all my Biden 46 T-shirts. I'll have to buy Biden 47's instead.
It would be better for Pence to enact the 25th amendment, and become acting president, so it doesn't mess up the numbers.

But then Pence wouldn't get a Presidential Library or a presidential pension, if he was just "acting". In addition, he wouldn't move into the WH.

An impeachment would be a disaster for both parties. Nothing worse than reminding the American People about what your priorities have been as they are dealing with shutdowns, and lost hope. "Hey, to hell with you, we need to impeach this guy before he gets away!"

Morbid really.

Notice how Biden dodged the question put to him about impeachment? Why isn't the media addressing this lack of commitment on his part?

As for the GOP. They are finished for years anyways, the best they can do is hold onto as many seats as possible. They are going to learn first hand how to rule when you have the power. Dems are going to show them a thing or two. All while MSM and Big Tech sit and watch, applaud where possible, and Americas enemies influence even more.
You're just saying that because you're a tRump fan. Preventing him from running for public office again is important.

The impeachment stupidity is already dead on arrival..... in the Senate.

BY MATT MARGOLIS JAN 09, 2021

Excerpt:

Democrats are expected to introduce a new impeachment resolution next week, but if they were hoping for a quick approval of the resolution and a Senate trial before Trump leaves office, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell effectively threw cold water on the idea.

According to a memo obtained by the Washington Post, the Senate “will not reconvene for substantive business until Jan. 19, which means the earliest possible date that impeachment trial proceedings can begin in the Senate is the day before President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated.”

LINK
He can call them in any time he wants.

True

But with a 50-50 congress, until Biden is president, Pense decides ties
Just how generous do you think "traitor" Mike is feeling right now? Having people threaten to hang you could be an attitude changing experience.

The ignorance of people never amaze me, here is what the CONSTITUTION say about the impeachment process:

From Cornell Law school
By contrast, the American impeachment process is remedial, not penal: it is limited to office holders, and judgments are limited to no more than removal from office and disqualification to hold future office.

bolding mine

That is what Impeach process is all about is to remove upon conviction a person from an elective office, and never run for the office again. Impeachment and conviction process only applies to those who are in office.

Richard Nixed resigned to avoid the developing Impeachment that was going to pass on him, it was then dropped, because he was no longer in office.
Impeachment may be limited by the constitution to those holding office at the time, but once impeached, resignation does not stop the senate trial.

US Constitution

Section 4. The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of Honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Excerpt:

Democrats are expected to introduce a new impeachment resolution next week, but if they were hoping for a quick approval of the resolution and a Senate trial before Trump leaves office, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell effectively threw cold water on the idea.

According to a memo obtained by the Washington Post, the Senate “will not reconvene for substantive business until Jan. 19, which means the earliest possible date that impeachment trial proceedings can begin in the Senate is the day before President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated.”

LINK
He can call them in any time he wants.

If you read the article you would have learned that he SHUT DOWN the senate meetings up to the 20th for the specific reason for preventing the Senate Trial.
That's the theory, yes.

But that has nothing to do with what I said. He could call them back any time he wants.

Gawad you can't think rational here, he was doing the SOS a favor by asking for the minimum effort to overturn the minimum number of existing votes into his favor (saves a lot of time), votes he several times claims are not valid as they are.
That doesn't make sense. If they're looking for illegal votes, they would be looking for all of them. The argument of finding "just enough" is like Trumps argument that they should have stopped counting votes on the night of November 3rd, while he was in the lead.

Excerpt:

LINK

No that doesn't.

It only stops an impeachment trial for right now.

The democrats can start their impeachment proceedings now.

When the senate gets back the democrats will be controlling the senate.

Since Schumer has been calling for trump to be impeached along with Pelosi, I'm sure he will take up the case in the Senate. This time without any republican preventing it from happening.

If you ask me, mcconnell is making a big mistake. Right now he has the majority. He can control that impeachment trial just as he did the first one. Now, if he waits until he loses control, he can't do anything to stop the trial or witnesses or any evidence from being presented.

Or maybe that is exactly what mcconnell wants to happen.

The purpose for this impeachment is to make sure that trump can't run for public office again and can't have any of the benefits that ex presidents enjoy for the rest of their lives.

We will have to wait to see what the democrats do.

But then Pence wouldn't get a Presidential Library or a presidential pension, if he was just "acting". In addition, he wouldn't move into the WH.
Pence doesn't get a library
Pence doesn't get a pension
And although acting presidents get the oval office, they don't get the residence as you pointed out.

You're just saying that because you're a tRump fan. Preventing him from running for public office again is important.

It would also save a ton of money. If convicted the US saves a $1 million annual budget, a $250,000 annual pension, and another $150,000 for staff, plus the cost of review for the national archives.

Forum List

Back