Misery Loves Company

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Atheism is an argument against others having beliefs. It is a dead end. It doesn’t have a positive program. It is a negation. Throughout history human beings were able to derive happiness by finding meaning in life. This is especially true for those who suffered. William Joyce, said, "When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill."

Happiness consists of seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile. Atheism has no such foundation. They are so miserable that they can't stand it when others are happy. Thus proving the old adage that misery loves company.

Atheism is an argument against others having beliefs. It is a dead end. It doesn’t have a positive program. It is a negation. Throughout history human beings were able to derive happiness by finding meaning in life. This is especially true for those who suffered. William Joyce, said, "When all is said and done, we are in the end absolutely dependent on the universe; and into sacrifices and surrenders of some sort, deliberately looked at and accepted, we are drawn and pressed as into our only permanent positions of repose. Now in those states of mind which fall short of religion, the surrender is submitted to as an imposition of necessity, and the sacrifice is undergone at the very best without complaint. In the religious life, on the contrary, surrender and sacrifice are positively espoused: even unnecessary givings-up are added in order that the happiness may increase. Religion thus makes easy and felicitous what in any case is necessary; and if it be the only agency that can accomplish this result, its vital importance as a human faculty stands vindicated beyond dispute. It becomes an essential organ of our life, performing a function which no other portion of our nature can so successfully fulfill."

Happiness consists of seeing one’s life in its entirety as meaningful and worthwhile. Atheism has no such foundation. They are so miserable that they can't stand it when others are happy. Thus proving the old adage that misery loves company.

Feel better that you've chanted your daily self affirmation?

Some good points, but I will argue against all atheists being miserable. The atheists in my family are certainly a different breed from some I see online. They would no more attack me about my religion than they would attack me about my genealogy and photography hobbies.

Feel better that you've chanted your daily self affirmation?
The truth usually hurts before it helps.

Taz, Fort Fun, TNHarley, GT, Vandalshandle, Soupnazi630, Luddly Neddite, Mudda, RWS, Cernobog, etc., prove the OP on a daily basis.

Some good points, but I will argue against all atheists being miserable. The atheists in my family are certainly a different breed from some I see online. They would no more attack me about my religion than they would attack me about my genealogy and photography hobbies.
Point accepted. I apologize to the atheists who do not behave like militants.

upload_2018-4-9_19-47-35.jpeg

View attachment 187128

Yep, Atheist are very peaceful.
Hitler, Stalin, Mao

View attachment 187128
I don't see any of those guys posting on USMB. I see plenty of militant atheists posting here.

Oh don't worry, I know you see exactly what you need to see.

View attachment 187128
I don't see any of those guys posting on USMB. I see plenty of militant atheists posting here.

Oh don't worry, I know you see exactly what you need to see.
If only your sense of outrage wasn't so selective.

and have the plagues quashed by the burgeoning medical communities of medieval Europe returned, despite the 4th century christian communities encumbrances against the knowledge needed for their extraction ... no, who then is unhappy.

I've met atheists that seem happy and many who are kind. What I find sad about atheists is their lack of hope, their unwillingness to consider that there is something greater than themselves, that life has meaning beyond our own little abilities and accomplishments. Does that equate to misery loves company? l'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that in terms of faith or lack thereof, many atheists prefer to be the only smart one in a room full of believers. They make fun of believers who gather together to praise God. That attitude doesn't seem conducive to their gathering with their fellow nonbelievers to celebrate how they've cleverly found the truth.

I am actually pretty happy knowing i dont have to be a dishonest hack to spin shit to mean what i want it to mean.
I am pretty happy knowing i am comfortable not knowing the answer to everything.
I am pretty happy that i am not dishonest enough to fill in holes with a man made concept to explain existence.
Your OP is nothing more than a militant religious attack on people that think different from you. Your Jesus probably hates you. Does that make YOU happy, ding?

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I've met atheists that seem happy and many who are kind. What I find sad about atheists is their lack of hope, their unwillingness to consider that there is something greater than themselves, that life has meaning beyond our own little abilities and accomplishments. Does that equate to misery loves company? l'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that in terms of faith or lack thereof, many atheists prefer to be the only smart one in a room full of believers. They make fun of believers who gather together to praise God. That attitude doesn't seem conducive to their gathering with their fellow nonbelievers to celebrate how they've cleverly found the truth.
I consider every day that there is a "higher power" out there. Personally, i doubt it is a "man made god" though. I find man made religion intriguing, but thats about the extent of it.
I hope one day i find out all the answers but i am comfortable knowing it probably wont happen.

I am actually pretty happy knowing i dont have to be a dishonest hack to spin shit to mean what i want it to mean.
I am pretty happy knowing i am comfortable not knowing the answer to everything.
I am pretty happy that i am not dishonest enough to fill in holes with a man made concept to explain existence.
Your OP is nothing more than a militant religious attack on people that think different from you. Your Jesus probably hates you. Does that make YOU happy, ding?
:) And this is a great example of what exasperates me about some atheists.

1. A person can appreciate scripture without the obligation to also "spin" it. It can provide simple insights into universal everyday human issues.

2. Religion does not offer answers to everything, but it does open up new possibilities in living life.

3. Religion is not about explaining existence, it is about dealing with existence.

4. Religion helps in providing time and encouragement to rise above myself and see life and the world from different perspectives. Listening to scripture and homilies is like the advice from a good friend (or even a therapist). Since by design we are wrapped in self, it is often helpful to have the outsider assist in helping us perceive what is visible from the outside.

5. For most of us, religion is not about the afterlife, it is about self-improvement, encouragement, and a wider perspective. It makes us better everyday people which brings more happiness and joy into life.

:) And this is a great example of what exasperates me about some atheists.

1. A person can appreciate scripture without the obligation to also "spin" it. It can provide simple insights into universal everyday human issues.

2. Religion does not offer answers to everything, but it does open up new possibilities in living life.

3. Religion is not about explaining existence, it is about dealing with existence.

4. Religion helps in providing time and encouragement to rise above myself and see life and the world from different perspectives. Listening to scripture and homilies is like the advice from a good friend (or even a therapist). Since by design we are wrapped in self, it is often helpful to have the outsider assist in helping us perceive what is visible from the outside.

5. For most of us, religion is not about the afterlife, it is about self-improvement, encouragement, and a wider perspective. It makes us better everyday people which brings more happiness and joy into life.
I respectfully disagree with every point.
None of that is my experience. Of course, you are different than most. So i guess thats to be expected lol. I mean that in a high regard BTW

My favorite line from atheists is, "You think you have something I don't, but I know you are just pretending, otherwise I would have it, too. What you have is either an overactive imagination or a defective brain--maybe both."

Imagine a blind person approaching a person of sight and announcing, "You think you have something I don't, but I know you are just pretending, because if you have sight then I would have sight as well. You just have an overactive imagination and are a liar as well."

View attachment 187128

Yep, Atheist are very peaceful.
Hitler, Stalin, Mao
And believers aren't violent at all, right?

religion may do all of that..but why is it only the christian religion that is approved? or the christian god?
I know Hindus who approve of all their Gods and definitely approve of their religion. They are fine people. Who only approves of the Christian religion? The United States is based on the premise that all religions are approved and welcome.

Forum List

Back