Misery Loves Company

In my experience it's the people who are concerned with their everlasting life in paradise that are unhappy. The most pious people I have ever met were also the meanest assholes I ever met.

We who know that this life is all we have tend to do everything possible to make the most of it.

So while you bible thumpers piss and moan about gay marriage and other meaningless drivel we're all having fun.

We are on this rock for but a blink in time. It'a all we have so be happy and allow others to be happy. If it makes you feel better about yourself if you say you are happier than I am that's fine with me.

IOW mind your own business

some of the most bitter peeps i have met are so called christians....my grandfather claimed the title and was the most bigoted and hateful man i have ever known...when mega churches exist ...there needs to be questions..when preachers need private jets..the list just goes on and on....why were flags lowered to half mast for billy graham?

Flying the flag at half-staff is an area of flag etiquette that most people want to make sure they get right. It is also an area for which the road to error is routinely paved with good intentions. With that in mind, we offer this refresher course as the all-important intersection where knowledge meets benevolence.

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

Displaying Flag at Half-Staff

I respectfully disagree with every point.
None of that is my experience. Of course, you are different than most. So i guess thats to be expected lol. I mean that in a high regard BTW

Well, thank you. For my part, I've always seen you as a good atheist. I am thinking we must move in very different circles, because what I listed is quite common--at least among the people and communities in which I have been involved.

yes you are....as a whole you are very apathetic.....only supporting what you feel is christian....(general you here)
why must each little believer sect have its own church etc?

Genuine, inarguable knowing of 'God' can only be by direct, personal and, thus, unique experience. Any other form of such 'knowing' is merely hear-say; i.e., read or heard information which is no different from any other such form of information. That means that no one who has his/her 'faith' through hear-say can claim that it is superior to anyone else's hear-say faith.
The supreme presumption is to claim that such personal revelation cannot be.

In my experience it's the people who are concerned with their everlasting life in paradise that are unhappy. The most pious people I have ever met were also the meanest assholes I ever met.

We who know that this life is all we have tend to do everything possible to make the most of it.

So while you bible thumpers piss and moan about gay marriage and other meaningless drivel we're all having fun.

We are on this rock for but a blink in time. It'a all we have so be happy and allow others to be happy. If it makes you feel better about yourself if you say you are happier than I am that's fine with me.

If everything we are is just a blink, I vote for anarchy, where it is everyone for themselves doing whatever they feel like. However, if we are more than just a blink, then what? I believe we are more than just a blink, and that this life actually matters.

if knowing god is not personal revelation then the bible lied....how can you trust a group that cant trust one another....how many cults does one need? and when you look at the religion they all fall into cults at one point or another...

If everything we are is just a blink, I vote for anarchy, where it is everyone for themselves doing whatever they feel like. However, if we are more than just a blink, then what? I believe we are more than just a blink, and that this life actually matters.

Anarchy is the wrong word.
One can not believe in the false promise of life everlasting and still care about the quality of life.

if knowing god is not personal revelation then the bible lied....how can you trust a group that cant trust one another....how many cults does one need? and when you look at the religion they all fall into cults at one point or another...

I think you will find most individuals only join one "cult." I find I do well to keep in mind that not every word in the Bible is about me. Some things in the lives of others do not pertain to my life at all. Why are there many "cults"? My take is its because with all our similarities, we are all very unique individuals. We all want something that fits us. If we're that way about clothes, it just makes sense we would be more so that way about our spirituality.

I respectfully disagree with every point.
None of that is my experience. Of course, you are different than most. So i guess thats to be expected lol. I mean that in a high regard BTW

Well, thank you. For my part, I've always seen you as a good atheist. I am thinking we must move in very different circles, because what I listed is quite common--at least among the people and communities in which I have been involved.
I consider myself agnostic but thanks lol

One can not believe in the false promise of life everlasting and still care about the quality of life.

Jesus taught that the Kingdom of God is within our reach, is within us, is in our midst. We enter the Kingdom right now, right here on earth, and this Kingdom extends into eternal life. Those who believe this world is a cesspool have it wrong, as are people who don't care about this world. This world is where the Kingdom begins. The hope is that we can make this world be as it is in heaven.

Life is the only thing that 'matters'. Mattering is only something that humans concern themselves with. It doesn't exist anywhere other than in humans. Each life is all that is important, and only while it is being lived. It is as if the universe begins and ends with each person. Arguing that it exists after the person is no more is moot and has no more than academic sense.

Jesus taught that the Kingdom of God is within our reach, is within us, is in our midst. We enter the Kingdom right now, right here on earth, and this Kingdom extends into eternal life. Those who believe this world is a cesspool have it wrong, as are people who don't care about this world. This world is where the Kingdom begins. The hope is that we can make this world be as it is in heaven.

You don't have to believe in heaven to want to make the world a better place

Life is the only thing that 'matters'. Mattering is only something that humans concern themselves with. It doesn't exist anywhere other than in humans. Each life is all that is important, and only while it is being lived. It is as if the universe begins and ends with each person. Arguing that it exists after the person is no more is moot and has no more than academic sense.
In your opinion, what matters most? Matter or spirit? Do both exist?

Forum List

Back